Salaries that can be earned in Private Practice Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Exactly. This board gives a false impression of what kind of jobs are competitively available. Must be nice to be in the good ole boy network. Not advertising jobs is bs. I understand that a personal recommendation from someone you know is the best way to judge an applicant, some people who suck ass have great resumes, but that's little comfort to those of us without useful connections.

It's all about attending a strong residency program. When people go on interviews, they need to ask questions about what kind of jobs people are taking when they graduate. Get specific. What parts of the country, PP or academic, etc. have recent grads gone to?

It isn't some magic good old boy network. It's the simple fact that a tight knit group that nobody ever leaves is much more likely to hire somebody that they can get personal recommendations on from multiple people compared to a relative stranger that none of them have ever met.

Members don't see this ad.

It's all about attending a strong residency program. When people go on interviews, they need to ask questions about what kind of jobs people are taking when they graduate. Get specific. What parts of the country, PP or academic, etc. have recent grads gone to?

It isn't some magic good old boy network. It's the simple fact that a tight knit group that nobody ever leaves is much more likely to hire somebody that they can get personal recommendations on from multiple people compared to a relative stranger that none of them have ever met.

I don't think its about being a strong residency program. I think applicants should go to either big, nationally famous programs or programs where they want to live afterward, preferably in a location with a reasonable job market. If the attendings in your residency program trained all over, then so much the better.
I trained at a program where almost all the faculty trained at one of two places in town. They'd be happy to put in a good word for me with anyone they know. Problem is, they mostly only know each other. The good ole boy network would serve me fine if I wanted to live in that city and if there were jobs available there, but neither is the case.

As I talked a bit about in the private forum (a better place for these discussions anyway) I got my current job by cold calling.

Pick a region that you are interested in living.

Google the hospitals in the region.

Go to the "Find a Physician" type page and search for all anesthesiologists.

Pick one that looks like he has been there for a while and address a brief correspondence to him/ her. Include a brief paragraph about why you are interested in town x even though you have never lived near it. Attach a resume and send it.

About 60% of the time, the guy I addressed my letter to was the guy who called me back. About 30% of the time it was another member of the group. About 10% of the groups did not receive the letter I sent or did not respond to it.

I then took the places that I was interested in working and I planned a vacation. Called up the practices to let them know that my family was vacationing in the area and could I stop by to check out their practice.

There wasn't any insider network for me (although it would be easier to get one of these jobs if you are the son of a prominent surgeon in town etc), but I am sure that coming from a top residency program/ chief resident/ fellowship etc helped tremendously in my call back rate.

Of course, as we all know by now, all of that stuff just gets you the interview. Your interview gets you the job.

- pod

Members don't see this ad :)
If sev's pulling in 650K+bonuses, where's the extra money going at a partnership track in Chicago? The partners' wallets? So, how much are they pulling in? 1mil+?

And do you see that bump when you become partner there in 2-3 years? Like a 350K to 1mil pay raise?

If sev's pulling in 650K+bonuses, where's the extra money going at a partnership track in Chicago? The partners' wallets? So, how much are they pulling in? 1mil+?

And do you see that bump when you become partner there in 2-3 years? Like a 350K to 1mil pay raise?

I was wondering the same thing. Also, they should be billing 2-4x as much with supervision, right? Vast payer mix differences? Doesn't seem to add up.

Last edited:
My good friend in the southeast, not as far south as Florida but not as far west as the mississippi, makes 650k with 17, yes 17 weeks vacation per year. One of four partners in a small group doing hearts all day. Visited him last year, and it is pretty much BFE but I could imagine worse. His surgeons did 2-3 vessel CABGs and MVRs in less than half the time I saw when at a big name hospital down here. Not sure if that contributes to the bottom line... I imagine so.

More proof that you don't see these jobs advertised on gasworks...

D712

Wow! That's my dream job - doing my own complex cases all day with a good surgeon, no meddling C*N*s (you pick which letters to fill in) to supervise and getting rewarded well for my hardwork monetarily and vacationarily.

As I talked a bit about in the private forum (a better place for these discussions anyway) I got my current job by cold calling.

Pick a region that you are interested in living.

Google the hospitals in the region.

Go to the "Find a Physician" type page and search for all anesthesiologists.

Pick one that looks like he has been there for a while and address a brief correspondence to him/ her. Include a brief paragraph about why you are interested in town x even though you have never lived near it. Attach a resume and send it.

About 60% of the time, the guy I addressed my letter to was the guy who called me back. About 30% of the time it was another member of the group. About 10% of the groups did not receive the letter I sent or did not respond to it.

I then took the places that I was interested in working and I planned a vacation. Called up the practices to let them know that my family was vacationing in the area and could I stop by to check out their practice.

There wasn't any insider network for me (although it would be easier to get one of these jobs if you are the son of a prominent surgeon in town etc), but I am sure that coming from a top residency program/ chief resident/ fellowship etc helped tremendously in my call back rate.

Of course, as we all know by now, all of that stuff just gets you the interview. Your interview gets you the job.

- pod

That's the exact way I got two writing jobs, both on Emmy winning shows. When I called the first, they said, "where is this number," and I said, Long Island. Exec Prod said, "Oh, then you don't want to come to LA for this show..." and I said, well actually I'll be in LA next week for 3 meetings. Lied right through my teeth. Interviewed. And got the gig. It's all about being calculated and doing what Periop suggests.

2nd periop thoughts about googling towns and hospitals is true, but the funny part is (actually, the frustrating part is) in a couple hospitals I did this for fun, they don't list anesthesiologists under the doctors section...no department, no listing, no clinicians, whatsoever. As if they're ghosts...

A good example, I think, is the famous Steadman institute, Colorado. Now surely, SOMEBODY is providing anesthesia out there everyday, yes? You wouldn't know it looking at the website, all they list are their famous Ortho docs who repair hips and knees on our fave atheletes. As if anesthesiologists didn't play a role. Of course you could contact the main number, ortho dudes. But I have to say, I've seen this in more than a few websites...

D712

It's unlikely to go from 350 to 1 mil in chicago. Maybe if you work like crazy, have a huge practice, and underpay a lot of new employees every year, or hire a ton of CRNA's and supervise like crazy...but even then it's tough. Most practices hire in the 275-400 ballpark ( depending on total package, if it includes retirement, etc..) and I'd say partners at established practices in nicer suburbs probably net 450k-600k or so tops ( again, depending on if you do hearts, do pain...what kind of hours and call you've got, etc) . there are also less groups willing to offer partnership in chicago, and plenty of people around to take the job anyways. There are partners in my old man's group making 700-800kish and living downtown, but they are working in the neighborhood of 65 hours per week, not taking a ton of vacation, and doing pain as well..It's very doable to make 350-450 in chicago working decent hours..breaking over 500 takes a lot of work.

Pay is less in chicago , nyc, etc, also because hospitals are willing to subsidize a lot less to the group. In indiana a lot of hospitals will pay a anesthesia group nearly 500k per doc, and then the group keeps all the money they make from Pain and other stuff on top of that...There is less threat of the hospital dropping the group and signing with some new cheaper group that comes in..Chicago has a lot more competition so the hospitals are also less stressed to provide a subsidy for anesthesia services.. the docs do more cases and work more as well.

the key to making big bucks in chicago is finding a fair practice that will offer you partnership, has broad hospital coverage, an oppurtunity to work a lot of extra hours, and isn't looking to rip you off. That isn't easy.

That's the exact way I got two writing jobs, both on Emmy winning shows. When I called the first, they said, "where is this number," and I said, Long Island. Exec Prod said, "Oh, then you don't want to come to LA for this show..." and I said, well actually I'll be in LA next week for 3 meetings. Lied right through my teeth. Interviewed. And got the gig. It's all about being calculated and doing what Periop suggests.

2nd periop thoughts about googling towns and hospitals is true, but the funny part is (actually, the frustrating part is) in a couple hospitals I did this for fun, they don't list anesthesiologists under the doctors section...no department, no listing, no clinicians, whatsoever. As if they're ghosts...

A good example, I think, is the famous Steadman institute, Colorado. Now surely, SOMEBODY is providing anesthesia out there everyday, yes? You wouldn't know it looking at the website, all they list are their famous Ortho docs who repair hips and knees on our fave atheletes. As if anesthesiologists didn't play a role. Of course you could contact the main number, ortho dudes. But I have to say, I've seen this in more than a few websites...

D712

Yeah... woking at the base of Vail would be pretty freak'n amazing, but it's something you do when you are on your last 5 years before retirement. You have to consider it's location. To get a very modest house in Vail you are going to drop $600,00-1,00000+ easy. The school system is OK and the pay is average at 350k (which in Vail is really like 225K).

I have a buddy of mine that quit after being there for 10 yrs. He's back on the east coast. Just... very hard to make a decent living when you live in a town like Vail. I wouldn't recommend it from the get go unless you really want to work there for all of your professional life. Summit Co. and Eagle Co. are my old stomping grounds. It was the first place I looked into for a PP Job. I think Dr. Robert Hagebac is still running the show. If you are interested, contact him early in your residency. The summers are pretty sweet over there... narly 4x4 experience right across I-70.

colorado_mountain.gif

Buffalo Mountain... Totanka mountain was literally in my back yard for 4 years of my life. Beautiful place.... I do miss it.:(

Last edited:
BTW, Vail Valley Anesthesia was hiring within the past year. Don't know if they are still looking.

Sevo,

These photos are killing me and I live in what's considered a resort location...
I hear you about Vail. I visited Aspen in March this year and would highly consider that neck of the woods the moment I get onto the market. Vail, etc.

I would, however, be very willing to put in some BFE time so that I can be very happy earning whatever I earn in someplace like Vail.

Question: What are your general thoughts on other areas in and around Denver? I really dug the city when I was there in March. Felt progressive, not like Cambridge, Ma (where subcompact cars pay less for parking than 4X4s) but it has some really cool pros for me:

1) near vast outdoors, (caveat: that you can enjoy, living near the everglades is not necessarily something I compare to the mountains and hiking of say Vail...)

2) professional hockey team (not to mention hoops and baseball teams too) oh and football. whatever that is. :)

3) Whole Foods : )

4) amazing hiking and winter sports in back door

5) intl airport

6) lower than prices I saw for houses in my former southern cal (LA) or Long Island... (that's all relative though.

7) nice big medical center for jobs, and I imagine decent amount of surgi centers and hospitals as well for private practice.

So, what are the cons of Denver? Same for Boulder. I do remember the feeling of Aspen as very pricey and exclusive and even a bit of snootiness... And while we're on topic, any thoughts Med School rotations and Anesthesia program at UCDenver? Is it generally easier to get local jobs if you came from a place like their local med school, as opposed to across the country? Even if across the country was UPENN anesthesia for argument's sake? Or an avg program on east coast? So, even though Vail is remote by big city standards it's not BFE, correct? What is BFE around Denver?

Serious photograph Sevo. Gonna keep that one in my back pocket as I sit through pharmacology lecture... :)

Last edited:
Long time Colorado native here.
Denver has some areas that are not nice but for the most part its a very middle/ upper middle class city. Denver is very pricey and the market is tough to break into. The guys I know that went to Colorado were either fellowship trained or chiefs of their programs. If you are interested in Colorado and willing to go anywhere Rocky Vista has a medical school (for profit hehe), UCHSC is a very good medical school (it was my second choice I really wanted to get out of the state). As far as anesthesia programs their program is a bit heavy on the hours side, standard University setting, in order to get into the program you have to basically write in your personal statement that you want to come to Colorado and have always wanted to come to Colorado.
Hey 712 I found an article about you on MSNBC.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40359211
JK I read this article and could help but think about all your spirited discussions on anesthesia subjects. All in good fun!!

/
Sevo,

These photos are killing me and I live in what's considered a resort location...
I hear you about Vail. I visited Aspen in March this year and would highly consider that neck of the woods the moment I get onto the market. Vail, etc.

I would, however, be very willing to put in some BFE time so that I can be very happy earning whatever I earn in someplace like Vail.

Question: What are your general thoughts on other areas in and around Denver? I really dug the city when I was there in March. Felt progressive, not like Cambridge, Ma (where subcompact cars pay less for parking than 4X4s) but it has some really cool pros for me:

1) near vast outdoors, (caveat: that you can enjoy, living near the everglades is not necessarily something I compare to the mountains and hiking of say Vail...)

2) professional hockey team (not to mention hoops and baseball teams too) oh and football. whatever that is. :)

5) intl airport

6) lower than prices I saw for houses in my former southern cal (LA) or Long Island... (that's all relative though.

7) nice big medical center for jobs, and I imagine decent amount of surgi centers and hospitals as well for private practice.

So, what are the cons of Denver? Same for Boulder. I do remember the feeling of Aspen as very pricey and exclusive and even a bit of snootiness... And while we're on topic, any thoughts Med School rotations and Anesthesia program at UCDenver? Is it generally easier to get local jobs if you came from a place like their local med school, as opposed to across the country? Even if across the country was UPENN anesthesia for argument's sake? Or an avg program on east coast? So, even though Vail is remote by big city standards it's not BFE, correct? What is BFE around Denver?

Serious photograph Sevo. Gonna keep that one in my back pocket as I sit through pharmacology lecture... :)

Very cute.

But thats not me. I've been working as an interventional ra...

oooooh. Nevermind.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sevo,

5) intl airport

you should check out Utah if that's what you're into. literally 7 ski resorts within about 1/2 hour of the hospital.

It's not just living there, but living in the intellectual wasteland around you.

And there lies the deal breaker for me. Been there, down that. It's not as simple as blue collar and lack of degreees as Sevo mentioned. There are areas where non-degreed people are often highly intelligent and areas where people with degrees are still dumber than rocks.

Those areas aren't just dumb; they are hostile as well. You come in as an educated outsider that talks differently with basically nothing in common, and despite the small town hospitality myth you'll get stabbed in the neck in a blind of the eye. No amount of money could get me back to certain areas.

There are partners in my old man's group making 700-800kish and living downtown, but they are working in the neighborhood of 65 hours per week, not taking a ton of vacation, and doing pain as well..It's very doable to make 350-450 in chicago working decent hours..breaking over 500 takes a lot of work.

Thanks, karizma.

So, what does an average anesthesiologist bill per year? Someone working say, sev's hours. Out at 12pm (on heart days) once a week, off at 3pm a day or two otherwise, pulling a slightly above average amount of call. (Sev, I'm assuming this about your schedule from previous posts. If it's not, my bad, I'm not trying to step on your toes or anything.)

The reason I ask is because I know FM docs generally pull in about 300K - 500K (or thereabouts) in total billing, but ~50% goes toward overhead, so they're taking home around 150K - 250K / yr. in actual income. So, just interested in the business side of gas.

we bill for about the same the thing is our overhead is very little.

:eek: That's pretty mind-blowing. So, overhead in anesthesia is what? 10-15%?

That would work out to about to $360K-$450K per year (90% of $400K-$500K). So, the big boys earning $700K-$800K/yr. are a) working their asses off and billing higher, b) supervising and thus running a couple tabs at once, c) taking a cut of the non-partners' revenue, or d) getting a nice subsidy from the hospital. Or some mixture of all of those.

Does that seem pretty accurate? Also, why is overhead so low for anesthesia? I'm guessing it's because the surgery side handles pre-auth., scheduling of patients, etc., but if there's anything else, let me know. Thanks!

:eek: That's pretty mind-blowing. So, overhead in anesthesia is what? 10-15%?

That would work out to about to $360K-$450K per year (90% of $400K-$500K). So, the big boys earning $700K-$800K/yr. are a) working their asses off and billing higher, b) supervising and thus running a couple tabs at once, c) taking a cut of the non-partners' revenue, or d) getting a nice subsidy from the hospital. Or some mixture of all of those.

Does that seem pretty accurate? Also, why is overhead so low for anesthesia? I'm guessing it's because the surgery side handles pre-auth., scheduling of patients, etc., but if there's anything else, let me know. Thanks!

there's a lot more to it than billing. There is some overhead if you run a pain clinic, but if you're simply doing gas in the OR and doing cases there isn't much overhead - it's not like running a family practice clinic, that's for sure. The guys in the 700k ballpark take home their yearly group subsidy from the hospital of 500k or so and 'moonlight' or do pain on the side on top of that. like i said, a lot of times the anesthesia group won't generate that much income, but the hospital will subsidize to a certain amount, as it is bound to do so by contract. Also, environmental factors, Medicare/Medicaid/"Cadillac" insurance?
Case breakdown/Cases per day/how many room are running in the OR?
How rich is the hospital? etc. lots of factors go into that payday.

Also, why is overhead so low for anesthesia?

Because the average anesthesiologist's office is free (typical a spare bedroom or desk in the den), the receptionist is free (that's you checking your own phone, mail, and email), the clinic and operating space are free, and heck, even the clothes are free (nearest scrub closet).

Outside of billing and collecting, I don't see where there would be much overhead for the worker bees or the guy running a small one location operation. I guess the large AMC's run into more significant overhead with the fancy hi-end offices and the business guys being paid with your labor.

Because the average anesthesiologist's office is free (typical a spare bedroom or desk in the den), the receptionist is free (that's you checking your own phone, mail, and email), the clinic and operating space are free, and heck, even the clothes are free (nearest scrub closet).

Outside of billing and collecting, I don't see where there would be much overhead for the worker bees or the guy running a small one location operation. I guess the large AMC's run into more significant overhead with the fancy hi-end offices and the business guys being paid with your labor.

Overhead including malpractice is in the low double digits for the average anesthesia practice per the 2008 MGMA survey. The situation you referenced sounds like one with an independent MD practitioner. Running a more complicated practice with CRNAs is more expensive. The costs do tend to come down as the group grows larger. AMCs should have relatively low billing overhead as they often outsource their billing to India.

I don't believe you can make 400 in academics, at least starting out.

you can.
personal experience.
2 years in academia so far.
Major metropolitan center.
BUT. . . .that's not the norm in any way. I'm pulling about 20-25% more than the others at the same level.
Only because I work like a dog.

Private practice in regional centers (100,000+/- population size): i was getting offers of around 500,000, baseline, guaranteed. A couple others; $350,000 (but the work was a LOT easier. .. kinda boring too).

My 2 cents:

Jobs are about as plentiful as before, but mobility has changed a lot.

It's like consumer spending. people need to spend money to keep it going around. when they're scared, they hold onto it.

Job confidence is down, a lot.

It's linked to the economy, but has a similar effect.

A couple years ago, people were easily willing to pick up and try a new job, which meant there were constantly openings popping up as people moved around, which meant more potential opportunities during the time you may have been looking.

now. . . doctors in general are afraid to leave their jobs. afraid of the lost income in the interim, worried about job stability.
We're holding tighter onto what we've got.

That being said. The difficulty in getting a job is still based on the same problems we've always had.
Namely . . . we're doctors, and are mostly atrocious at job hunting.

There's no e-filing, no match, no forum with statistics listed about each job out there.
Good jobs in big cities never need to advertise their spots.
The smaller places that do, advertise in random places.

You've got to know how to interview well, get your foot in the door, and size up potential opportunities.

There's no chapter in Miller's Basics of Anesthesia on that one.

Ultimately, a lot of it comes down to personality and your ability to sell yourself, a skill that you often either have or you don't.

Jobs are harder to come by now, but it's only because people aren't changing them as quickly, so options aren't varying as much.

A few tips for all those about to enter the field:

If you're a solid candidate, they'll make a spot for you.

Just because a place says they're not hiring, doesn't mean they won't for the right person.

Pick a city, list every hospital there, and then search online for some basic info (OR size, case load, services provided at the hospital). Search their roster of attendings employed and see if any of them are from your hometown, your med school, your undergrad, or trained in anesthesia where you trained.
Email them and ask a couple questions.
Break the ice. Show some interest, and then drop your C.V. I even walked in on the weekend a couple times when I knew it wouldn't be busy to get some face time. The more you're not just a name on a sheet of paper, the better (unless you're really annoying in person).

You don't want to be annoyingly aggressive, but no-one's going to call you and lay your dream job at your feet.
If the job's that good, they've probably already got half a dozen people who've already come through and are waiting for a phone call if a spot opens up.
You need to be the first one on their list.

It's tiring, frustrating, and takes a lot of leg work, but this is another one of those "most important moments in your life" deals.

This is bigger than buying a home. Think about how much time you'd spend or have spent pouring over those details.

Double it and that's how much you should put into your job search.

It's not about the paycheck, it's about whether you enjoy waking up and going in to earn it, or find yourself doubling up on Xanax and Rolaids instead.

you can.
personal experience.
2 years in academia so far.
Major metropolitan center.
BUT. . . .that's not the norm in any way. I'm pulling about 20-25% more than the others at the same level.
Only because I work like a dog.

Private practice in regional centers (100,000+/- population size): i was getting offers of around 500,000, baseline, guaranteed. A couple others; $350,000 (but the work was a LOT easier. .. kinda boring too).

My 2 cents:

Jobs are about as plentiful as before, but mobility has changed a lot.

It's like consumer spending. people need to spend money to keep it going around. when they're scared, they hold onto it.

Job confidence is down, a lot.

It's linked to the economy, but has a similar effect.

A couple years ago, people were easily willing to pick up and try a new job, which meant there were constantly openings popping up as people moved around, which meant more potential opportunities during the time you may have been looking.

now. . . doctors in general are afraid to leave their jobs. afraid of the lost income in the interim, worried about job stability.
We're holding tighter onto what we've got.

That being said. The difficulty in getting a job is still based on the same problems we've always had.
Namely . . . we're doctors, and are mostly atrocious at job hunting.

There's no e-filing, no match, no forum with statistics listed about each job out there.
Good jobs in big cities never need to advertise their spots.
The smaller places that do, advertise in random places.

You've got to know how to interview well, get your foot in the door, and size up potential opportunities.

There's no chapter in Miller's Basics of Anesthesia on that one.

Ultimately, a lot of it comes down to personality and your ability to sell yourself, a skill that you often either have or you don't.

Jobs are harder to come by now, but it's only because people aren't changing them as quickly, so options aren't varying as much.

A few tips for all those about to enter the field:

If you're a solid candidate, they'll make a spot for you.

Just because a place says they're not hiring, doesn't mean they won't for the right person.

Pick a city, list every hospital there, and then search online for some basic info (OR size, case load, services provided at the hospital). Search their roster of attendings employed and see if any of them are from your hometown, your med school, your undergrad, or trained in anesthesia where you trained.
Email them and ask a couple questions.
Break the ice. Show some interest, and then drop your C.V. I even walked in on the weekend a couple times when I knew it wouldn't be busy to get some face time. The more you're not just a name on a sheet of paper, the better (unless you're really annoying in person).

You don't want to be annoyingly aggressive, but no-one's going to call you and lay your dream job at your feet.
If the job's that good, they've probably already got half a dozen people who've already come through and are waiting for a phone call if a spot opens up.
You need to be the first one on their list.

It's tiring, frustrating, and takes a lot of leg work, but this is another one of those "most important moments in your life" deals.

This is bigger than buying a home. Think about how much time you'd spend or have spent pouring over those details.

Double it and that's how much you should put into your job search.

It's not about the paycheck, it's about whether you enjoy waking up and going in to earn it, or find yourself doubling up on Xanax and Rolaids instead.

I agree with everything you posted. Its great..

and at the end of reading it, i concluded. the job market is tight as hell. There are very very few jobs posted in metro areas, even at academic centers.

You shouldnt have to spend that much time and effort to get a job.... It should be you read gaswork and a few publications and send your resume out. If you have to start doing gymnastics here and there to get a job.. it just tells me something... there are too many anesthesiologists or not enough jobs or both. and i dont see the situtation improving taking into account the increase in supervision jobs there will be in the future. Even today ANeshesiolgist news is forecasting that our futures are going to change in a big way. I think the guy who wrote that is from mayo clinic. So in a nutshell.. our future is very uncertain.. The only good point is that in a few years a lot of old anesthesiologist will be leaving the market.. Anesthesiology is not a good place to be right around now.

and at the end of reading it, i concluded. the job market is tight as hell. There are very very few jobs posted in metro areas, even at academic centers.

You shouldnt have to spend that much time and effort to get a job.... It should be you read gaswork and a few publications and send your resume out. If you have to start doing gymnastics here and there to get a job.. it just tells me something... there are too many anesthesiologists or not enough jobs or both. and i dont see the situtation improving taking into account the increase in supervision jobs there will be in the future. Even today ANeshesiolgist news is forecasting that our futures are going to change in a big way. I think the guy who wrote that is from mayo clinic. So in a nutshell.. our future is very uncertain.. The only good point is that in a few years a lot of old anesthesiologist will be leaving the market.. Anesthesiology is not a good place to be right around now.

You mean this article?

For Anesthesiologists, Defining Value May Be Key to Future

by Adam Marcus
This year, physicians at Mayo Clinic, in Rochester, Minn., will perform roughly 5,000 bone biopsies on patients with cancer or who are suspected of having the disease.

The clinicians tasked with shepherding these patients through the institution will not be hematologists, however. Anesthesiologists will perform the intake procedures. They will start the physical examination and ensure the patients have appropriate anesthetic for the biopsy procedure. Although the purpose of the procedure is to detect cancer, the consultation with a hematologist will come at the end of the process.
That model might sound unorthodox, but Bradly J. Narr, MD, chair of anesthesiology at Mayo Clinic, believes it’s a glimpse of the future for his specialty. The rationale for the arrangement is rooted in Dr. Narr’s conviction that anesthesiologists can do more in hospitals and clinics than merely put patients to sleep and wake them up.
“Brad and I often say, ‘We want everyone to turn a corner anywhere in any Mayo building and bump into an anesthesiologist,” said Mark A. Warner, MD, a Mayo anesthesiologist and president of the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA).

AN0311_018_graphic_b200.jpg
The specialty is “extraordinarily well trained to lead or coordinate care” during all phases of the perioperative period, from the moment a surgeon and patient agree on a procedure to the time of discharge, Dr. Warner said. “Our Mayo anesthesiologists are increasingly playing lead roles in each of these periods.”
Mayo anesthesiologists have spearheaded a systemwide effort to reduce blood transfusions through a “continuous oversight program” for the operating room, Dr. Warner said.

Mark H. Ereth, MD, MA, professor of anesthesiology at Mayo, heads the institution’s Comprehensive Blood Management Program. The system “seeks to modify transfusion behavior, ensuring a significant reduction in unnecessary transfusion,” Dr. Ereth said. “We utilize a combination of sophisticated data collection and analysis, laboratory-guided transfusion algorithms and broad-based educational efforts.”

First applied to cardiac surgery, the program reduced the number of transfused blood products by half, while reducing infection risks and the incidence of renal dysfunction, Dr. Ereth said. “This resulted in millions of dollars in savings to the institution in the first year, while improving care.”
Every dollar Mayo invests in the program saves it more than $10 in transfusion-related expenses, added Dr. Ereth, who said the system is now being rolled out to other clinical areas.
Mayo and the Cleveland Clinic will be hosting a continuing medical education conference, Transformative Fusion (TransFuse 2011) of Innovative Blood Management Technology, in April, on the topic of blood management. “We will be launching an iPad app for blood management and this promises to be an incredibly innovative meeting,” Dr. Ereth said.
Mayo anesthesiologists also are in charge of identifying patients at high risk for developing complications related to obstructive sleep apnea. “We believe that the cost savings associated with reduced complications far exceeds the costs of having anesthesiologists involved in this process,” Dr. Warner said.

AN0311_018_graphic_a200.jpg
Anesthesiologists perform a specialized function—and they get paid accordingly. Last year, the typical anesthesiologist could expect to earn more than $330,000, according to Merritt Hawkins, a health care recruiter and consultancy.
But the high earnings might not last long. Forces from several sides—budget pressures in hospitals, state laws proposing the substitution of nurses for physician-delivered anesthesia, general attempts at cost savings in health care, to name a just few—could take a toll on salaries or at least curb their growth.

Meanwhile, efforts by the government to push quality improvement initiatives will increasingly affect anesthesiologists. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services continues to expand its roster of reasons to discount reimbursement to hospitals. The list now includes 46 measures, with two new items—perioperative temperature control and timely removal of urinary catheters—landing squarely in the province of anesthesiology.
To be sure, the quality movement is far from a solely external force. The speciality itself is pushing greater attention to performance and outcomes. The Anesthesia Quality Institute, an offshoot of the ASA but a separate entity, is developing clinical benchmarks based on practice data. And the American Board of Anesthesiology now requires assessment of performance by anesthesiologists who are enrolled in the Maintenance of Certification in Anesthesiology (also known as MOCA).
How, then, can anesthesiologists demonstrate to hospital administrators, lawmakers and, perhaps most important, the taxpaying public (patients) that they’re worth the money?
“If we’re looked at as a cost center, we’ll be at the bottom of the barrel. We have to demonstrate our efficiencies,” said Jacques Chelly, MD, PhD, MBA, professor and Director of the Division of Acute Interventional Perioperative Pain and Regional Anesthesia at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.

One way to prove worth in the hospital is to be indispensable, Dr. Chelly said. That means wearing as many hats as will fit. “If we say ‘no’ too often, we will not be the people the hospital cannot do without,” he said. “At the end of the day, we pay for that. We have to get involved at every level.”

Peter Walker, MD, senior partner at North American Partners in Anesthesia (NAPA), a large group practice operating in five states, said the specialty has changed permanently.

“I think that clearly, anesthesia is the middle of the economic engine of the hospital,” Dr. Walker said. Hospitals increasingly rely on surgical procedures and other interventions for their profits, Dr. Walker said.
Years ago, those procedures almost always took place in the operating room (OR). Now, an ever-larger number are occurring outside the OR, in catheterization labs, high-end bronchopulmonary suites, endoscopy units and elsewhere.

“Anesthesia needs to take ownership of the episode of procedure care,” from preprocedure evaluation to the postanesthesia care unit and beyond, Dr. Walker said. Whether a hospital has 750 beds or 75, “the theme is the same: Hospitals need people who can facilitate.”

For anesthesiologists, that means taking steps to avoid fragmentation of care, duplication of both processes and procedures and miscommunication. Preventing cancellations is another key function. “It’s a big loss to everybody,” from the patient to the hospital administration.
Like it or not, Dr. Walker said, that shift has profound implications for anesthesia providers. “The anesthesiologist who wants to hide out in room 3 and work from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. isn’t going to be able to be doing that much longer,” he said. “The world expects more of that person.”
Indeed, large groups like NAPA, which consists of more than 400 anesthesiologists and half as many certified registered nurse anesthetists, don’t just tolerate clinicians who take on responsibilities beyond the conventional, they encourage them. “We reward people for working outside of the operating room,” Dr. Walker said. “Our leaders become leaders beyond the realm of anesthesia. They get to know the fabric of the institution.”

Two NAPA anesthesiologists have served as presidents of their hospitals’ medical staffs; several more are division chiefs who hold seats on their institutions’ quality committees. Dr. Walker has done two stints as medical director for North Shore University Hospital, in Great Neck, N.Y., where he helped found NAPA more than 25 years ago.

What about the scrubs-to-ski slope lifestyle featured in recruiting advertisements at meetings and speciality journals? Although it will still be possible for physicians to juggle work and life for maximal reward, being part of a team will be the best way to achieve the best balance, Dr. Walker said. “You have to be part of a team, and you have to be part of a team that reverences the need for time off,” he said.

Dr. Narr admitted that Mayo’s experience might not translate well to smaller institutions. “We have an economy of scale” that allows clinicians to extend themselves without snapping. “I can have 15 critical care anesthesiologists cover three intensive care units. You need to get the group big enough.”

Not everything requires scale, however. As Dr. Chelly noted, an anesthesia department that wrings efficiencies out of its daily operations will earn the gratitude of hospital administrators. Dr. Chelly and his colleagues were able to slash their yearly drug budget by $1 million by switching to cheaper local anesthetics.

Dr. Warner agreed. “The reduction of one postoperative pneumonia because an anesthesiologist intervened, provided the right antibiotics at the right time, implemented postoperative positioning orders to raise the head of a ventilated patient or started another intervention results in a savings of approximately $27,000,” he said. “If anesthesiologists’ efforts reduce length of stays, number of transfusions and the complications that accompany them, and improve patient satisfaction and safety, it is logical that medical center and facility administrators will find value in this extension of anesthesia practice.”

Or, as Dr. Narr put it, “Eliminating outliers has a huge impact on the bottom line.”

yes that one. If we have to do gymnastics to try to desperately prove our worth to hospitals.. and the article is written by an academic chair.. we are in deep (you know what)

Superb article by Dr. Warner indeed. Yes, he's from Mayo.

Your problem is that you EXPECT a job to be handed to you simply because you know YOU'RE the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Guess what - those people who get out and cold call every group/hospital in the city/state/region they want to live in (and in some areas they don't), mail a stack of resumes, and follow up...those are the ones getting interviews and getting hired. My group is hiring this year, both anesthesiologists and anesthetists. You won't find us on gaswork and you won't find an ad from us anywhere - and we're a big successful stand-alone group in a highly desirable part of the country. And as I've stated frequently on this board - we hang up on recruiters.

Those who take the easy way out, like you seem to want to by your own admission, by reading gaswork online and the few ads that still remain in the various journals and throw-aways and expecting the jobs to find you - will still be looking for jobs and wondering "how the hell did my classmate already find a job?"

Your problem is that you EXPECT a job to be handed to you simply because you know YOU'RE the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Guess what - those people who get out and cold call every group/hospital in the city/state/region they want to live in (and in some areas they don't), mail a stack of resumes, and follow up...those are the ones getting interviews and getting hired. My group is hiring this year, both anesthesiologists and anesthetists. You won't find us on gaswork and you won't find an ad from us anywhere - and we're a big successful stand-alone group in a highly desirable part of the country. And as I've stated frequently on this board - we hang up on recruiters.

Those who take the easy way out, like you seem to want to by your own admission, by reading gaswork online and the few ads that still remain in the various journals and throw-aways and expecting the jobs to find you - will still be looking for jobs and wondering "how the hell did my classmate already find a job?"

I respect you immensely. :thumbup:

I think it's best to approach it like you would as an MS4 applying for residency. I certainly made lots of cold calls at programs I was interested in and didn't initially receive an interview offer. I felt like an underdog, but I was persistent. It worked out, I matched. :thumbup:

Thanks to this board for all the support and advice.

I am not saying the strategy that you recommend is not impressive. All im saying is that the job market is tight and will become increasingly tighter in the years to come. DOnt take my word for it.. Ask around. go on sermo go to the back of the journals.. Go to gaswork.. speak to other anesthesiologists looking for jobs. call th experts.. call the hospital in house recruiters and ask how many resumes they got. look at the fellowship market.. be proactive they all point to a tight job market.Dont stick your head in the sand. WHen i found my job a few years ago. It found ME. and it was handed to me because of my impeccable credentials.. thanks. Wouldnt be the case today.

Last edited:
- we hang up on recruiters.

Probably because you as you said are in a highly desirable area and have a pipeline of residents and crnas graduating. The problem is when those that areant in a highly desirable area are hanging up on recruiters too. LOL

I am not saying the strategy that you recommend is not impressive. All im saying is that the job market is tight and will become increasingly tighter in the years to come. DOnt take my word for it.. Ask around. go on sermo go to the back of the journals.. Go to gaswork.. speak to other anesthesiologists looking for jobs. call th experts.. call the hospital in house recruiters and ask how many resumes they got. look at the fellowship market.. be proactive they all point to a tight job market.Dont stick your head in the sand. WHen i found my job a few years ago. It found ME. and it was handed to me because of my impeccable credentials.. thanks. Wouldnt be the case today.

Probably because you as you said are in a highly desirable area and have a pipeline of residents and crnas graduating. The problem is when those that areant in a highly desirable area are hanging up on recruiters too. LOL

I think you really missed my point. We are a private practice group in a community hospital. I'm involved with hiring in my group, so I actually have some idea what I'm talking about. I never said the market wasn't tight. It is, but yet we are still hiring quality people. Every person we hire has made an effort to distinguish themselves from other candidates in some way.

We hang up on recruiters because anyone who thinks using a recruiter to find a job for them and is too lazy to do the legwork required to find one on their own is not a person we're even remotely interested in hiring.

I think you really missed my point. We are a private practice group in a community hospital. I'm involved with hiring in my group, so I actually have some idea what I'm talking about. I never said the market wasn't tight. It is, but yet we are still hiring quality people. Every person we hire has made an effort to distinguish themselves from other candidates in some way.

We hang up on recruiters because anyone who thinks using a recruiter to find a job for them and is too lazy to do the legwork required to find one on their own is not a person we're even remotely interested in hiring.

I dont care what technique one person uses vs another in finding a job. If someone wants to send a singing telegram, Great!! All I am saying and wanted you to say is that the Job market is very tight and the future is very uncertain for us and I referenced that article that was posted.

yes that one. If we have to do gymnastics to try to desperately prove our worth to hospitals.. and the article is written by an academic chair.. we are in deep (you know what)

I don't know that I agree with you. I personally see it as a chance for anesthesiology to become more visible in the hospital and to thrive in what will undoubtedly be a challenging environment. I say bring it and let's, once and for all show everyone why we should have a place at the table.

I don't know that I agree with you. I personally see it as a chance for anesthesiology to become more visible in the hospital and to thrive in what will undoubtedly be a challenging environment. I say bring it and let's, once and for all show everyone why we should have a place at the table.

I dont disagree with you. But there will be some pains along the way and some casualties . Even that guy from napa is quoted as saying Anesthesiology has permanently changed. Im not a doom and gloom guy and dont have the answers but what does he wanna make us?

If I wanted to run a clinic or spend days rounding in the hospital, I'd be an internist.

Lots has been said about expanding anesthesiologists' roles and getting our fingers in more pots. If you want to manage diabetes and blood pressure medications for some nebulous month-long perioperative period, more power to you. Personally, that sounds like wasteful hell to me.

This morning I'm responsible for preop consultations for future outpatient surgeries. At least half of the allegedly "higher risk" patients who "need" to see anesthesia and are referred to me don't really need to see me. And these are the pre-screened patients that the surgeons feel might benefit from a preop anesthesia visit! I am really doubtful that expanding our preop reach to include ALL patients would amount to anything more than a waste of expensive anesthesiologist time for an unnecessary clinic appointment.

With respect to Dr Warner and his iPad blood management app :rolleyes: you'll find me in the OR.

Well I must say the ASA is doing a pretty good job, especially if you compare them to some of the other wet noodle specialty associations out there. Anesthesiologists cannot continue to be of mysterious value to the system. The faster anesthesiologists become more conspicuous in the hospitals, the faster the CRNA = Anesthesiologist argument will go away.

Out of curiosity what was your tax liability state and federal after all your deductions on that kind of income?

Thanks

PROS:

Income:
My wife and I jumped right into full financial partnership = 1.3 mil our first year out vs. 2-3 year partnership at 250k/yr/ea. I’m scared of Obama and I’m getting a piece of the pie while there is still a pie to be had.

If I wanted to run a clinic or spend days rounding in the hospital, I'd be an internist.

This morning I'm responsible for preop consultations for future outpatient surgeries. At least half of the allegedly "higher risk" patients who "need" to see anesthesia and are referred to me don't really need to see me. And these are the pre-screened patients that the surgeons feel might benefit from a preop anesthesia visit! I am really doubtful that expanding our preop reach to include ALL patients would amount to anything more than a waste of expensive anesthesiologist time for an unnecessary clinic appointment.

With respect to Dr Warner and his iPad blood management app :rolleyes: you'll find me in the OR.

I here you, pgg, but the face time is important.

I'm currently the founder/owner of a private practice group at a boutique, physician owned hospital.

I partnered with a friend of mine who was a previous partner at a previous gig...lets call him Jim.

Jim, after we worked together previously and before we hooked up again recently, worked at an out patient surgery center doing all ASA-1s and 2s.

Despite the easiness of the cases he did, Jim went out of his way to see every patient before surgery and if that wasn't possible he at least contacted them via phone. He is a very personable man..gave personal service to the patients on arrival, whether it was a blanket, fetching their spouse before rolling back, whatever...

point being he made an impact on his patients, to the point of his patients talking with other people who were coming to his facility, because of his actions, care, and personal touch, he was requested by total strangers

because of word of mouth.

Fastforward to current day,

I've taken on my partner's philosophy, and thats how we run our group. We see every patient pre-op...if it's impossible (we get alotta out of towners) we at least talk with them on the phone prior to surgery.

We (the anesthesiologists) are on the map at our hospital. We make an impression...preop, intraop, post op.

We put our face everywhere.

Makes a difference.

To the patients, who remember us, who tell their friends about us.

To the surgeons, whose patients report to them how great their anesthesia experience was.

To the CEO, who is elated that the anesthesia group at his hospital is everywhere.

That's how we roll.

We are everywhere. Doing everything.:smuggrin:

I'm currently the founder/owner of a private practice group at a boutique, physician owned hospital.

I partnered with a friend of mine who was a previous partner at a previous gig...lets call him Jim.

Jim, after we worked together previously and before we hooked up again recently, worked at an out patient surgery center doing all ASA-1s and 2s.

Despite the easiness of the cases he did, Jim went out of his way to see every patient before surgery and if that wasn't possible he at least contacted them via phone. He is a very personable man..gave personal service to the patients on arrival, whether it was a blanket, fetching their spouse before rolling back, whatever...

point being he made an impact on his patients, to the point of his patients talking with other people who were coming to his facility, because of his actions, care, and personal touch, he was requested by total strangers

I've taken on my partner's philosophy, and thats how we run our group. We see every patient pre-op...if it's impossible (we get alotta out of towners) we at least talk with them on the phone prior to surgery.

We (the anesthesiologists) are on the map at our hospital. We make an impression...preop, intraop, post op.

Makes a difference.

To the surgeons, whose patients report to them how great their anesthesia experience was.

To the CEO, who is elated that the anesthesia group at his hospital is everywhere.

That's how we roll.

I respect what you've accomplished, but it doesn't have to be that way. We pay NPs to handle all the pre ops. When they get into some nasty business they call one of us. Everyone is happy because instead of seeing/calling >30,000 patients a year, we're in the OR making everyone $$ and getting the work done as efficiently as we can. Than we all leave early and have a reasonable life. I would be pretty unhappy if I had to see/call my 5-20+ patients after running two busy and/or complex rooms every day. The NP's handle the post anesthesia calls as well on the day surgery patients. That's another 10+ calls I don't have to make.
That's how we roll.;)

I respect what you've accomplished, but it doesn't have to be that way. We pay NPs to handle all the pre ops. When they get into some nasty business they call one of us. Everyone is happy because instead of seeing/calling >30,000 patients a year, we're in the OR making everyone $$ and getting the work done as efficiently as we can. Than we all leave early and have a reasonable life. I would be pretty unhappy if I had to see/call my 5-20+ patients after running two busy and/or complex rooms every day. The NP's handle the post anesthesia calls as well on the day surgery patients. That's another 10+ calls I don't have to make.
That's how we roll.;)

And I respect you, too.

Last edited:

I understand what you're saying, and it's impressive that you take the time to call all of your patients prior to DOS.

One of the partners at the group I moonlight with does far fewer cases that the others. He's always involved with hospital meetings and committees and planning (he says he hates it, but he sure seems to be good at it) and I can tell that it makes a difference in the way the group is viewed by the hospital. I have no doubt that contract renegotiations are influenced by that kind of presence. That's valuable and I'm glad the group recognizes that value and doesn't penalize him for all of that non-billable work.

But that kind of face time, or the face time of greeting patients DOS and chatting them up preop (time permitting), seem to me to be different than the face time obtained from individually and personally preop'ing every ASA 2 bunionectomy coming through the surgicenter. That just seems like a huge waste of expensive anesthesiologist hours.

As a resident we were required to call all of our patients the day before surgery. After my CA2 year I just quit doing it, unless I had a specific reason to call - ie, questions I wanted answered before I called my staff to present the case, or instructions I wanted to give that our preop nurse hadn't given. Most of the patients seemed happy to get that call from me (although 99% of the time they had no questions as our preop guys were pretty thorough), and I admit the main reason I quit doing it was because it took a lot of time and I wasn't getting anything educational out of it. Calling every patient when I had a 12-banger ENT day coming up the next day just sucked.

But your point is well taken, and that's something I'll consider doing again someday, when I'm competing for work on behalf of my group.

Makes a difference.

That's how we roll.

This is how I like to practice also. See everybody, let them know you care. It makes them feel good, it makes you feel good. It's old-fashioned, good business also.

The NP's handle the post anesthesia calls as well on the day surgery patients. That's another 10+ calls I don't have to make.
That's how we roll.;)

huge difference between the doc making apersonal call and his nurse making the call.. huge difference in perception.. i can tell you when the dentist calls me from his cell phone to see how im doing vs a secretary or his dental assistant

Makes a difference.

That's how we roll.

Nice post Jet. I agree. :thumbup:

It's the simple things that make a difference. 2 blankets for the body, 1 for the head. Tegaderm placed square and not off-center. IV's, a-lines, etc looking like a piece of art. Availability to speak to your patients and gain their confidence... maybe even share a joke or two. This type of care is seen, talked about and disseminated between patients, nurses and other physicians/surgeons.

It also works the other way... if you don't put this kind of detail into your daily practice.

Nice post Jet. I agree. :thumbup:

It's the simple things that make a difference. 2 blankets for the body, 1 for the head. Tegaderm placed square and not off-center. IV's, a-lines, etc looking like a piece of art. Availability to speak to your patients and gain their confidence... maybe even share a joke or two. This type of care is seen, talked about and disseminated between patients, nurses and other physicians/surgeons.

It also works the other way... if you don't put this kind of detail into your daily practice.

Yessir.