Salary for Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

habibah91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone,

I'm a high school senior. I think I might want to go into dentistry, and I am applying to 7 year programs. I don't know how that will go as I haven't had dentistry interests in particular but a well-rounded background in a lot of areas in health care, from medicine to non-medically related fields (but this is off topic from where I want to go).

So, I know doctors in general make a good amount of money. When you're in residency as a dentist, are you paid lower amounts because you're a resident or because you're just fresh off the block? I heard doctors in general from residency are underpaid. There is a difference to me because if you are done with your residency, does your salary increase significantly? Or is it that you need a few years of experience then your salary will increase?

Also, where are residencies? In hospitals? Clinics?

Thanks!

habibah91

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, everyone,

I'm a high school senior. I think I might want to go into dentistry, and I am applying to 7 year programs. I don't know how that will go as I haven't had dentistry interests in particular but a well-rounded background in a lot of areas in health care, from medicine to non-medically related fields (but this is off topic from where I want to go).

So, I know doctors in general make a good amount of money. When you're in residency as a dentist, are you paid lower amounts because you're a resident or because you're just fresh off the block? I heard doctors in general from residency are underpaid. There is a difference to me because if you are done with your residency, does your salary increase significantly? Or is it that you need a few years of experience then your salary will increase?

Also, where are residencies? In hospitals? Clinics?

Thanks!

habibah91

Depending on the residency, either you pay them or they pay you a relatively small amount. That being said, worry about getting into college, then dental school, then you can worry about these things. You are WAY ahead of yourself.

Ok, so you can still end up paying for residency after dental school? So that can be more cost to you, right?

I'm not worried about getting into college. That's set for me, just this program would be awesome. It's not really far away and I'm not ahead of myself. I will have an associates degree from the county college when I graduate high school. That's 2 years worth of general college studies right there - so that would mean around 2 years left after the credits transfer. Two years is nothing when you consider the amount of science courses I would have to take in that time.

I know it sounds crazy, but thank God I'm getting the associates while I was in high school.

Thanks for your answer! I had no clue a person can end up paying for residency.

habibah

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I know doctors in general make a good amount of money. When you're in residency as a dentist, are you paid lower amounts because you're a resident or because you're just fresh off the block?

If you are in a residency that pays, it is most likely due to graduate medical education funding, which means a first year (PGY-1) dental resident gets the same pay as a first year medical resident. This continues throughout residency.

The pay for a PGY-1 resident is typically in the $40,000-50,000/year range. You'll often get other benefits such as health insurance, etc.

Residencies may be in hospitals (these are typically the ones that get funding and the residents get paid), or they may be in schools (residents often pay to go to these programs rather than getting paid).

Reactions: 1 user
If you are in a residency that pays, it is most likely due to graduate medical education funding, which means a first year (PGY-1) dental resident gets the same pay as a first year medical resident. This continues throughout residency.

The pay for a PGY-1 resident is typically in the $40,000-50,000/year range. You'll often get other benefits such as health insurance, etc.

Residencies may be in hospitals (these are typically the ones that get funding and the residents get paid), or they may be in schools (residents often pay to go to these programs rather than getting paid).

What are the residency programs that dentists are still getting paid for?

What are the residency programs that dentists are still getting paid for?

4-year OMFS, Peds, GPR, generally pay you.

Some endo programs pay you, and some ortho programs pay you (but very few).