salary of Pharmacy tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Availability and choice of food really should not dictate where you live.

Members don't see this ad.

heresy! Chinese food is KING! MUST HAVE BEST CHINESE FOOD TO SURVIVE! All your chinese food are belongs to me! :banana: CHINNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :boom:

Members don't see this ad :)
And I've been to a few pretty good hole-in-the-wall Mexican joints in Philly, too...just randomly wandering the streets.

Maybe you need to look harder....

It tends to be Tex-Mex back east.

Barfalicious.

They've been talking about Taco-Stand type Mexican food. That stuff is the shizzle.

There's always No 1 Chinese Restaurant on High St.

hell, with a name like that I'm afraid to even go in. But Troy villege chinese food is decent. The best in columbus I found so far is sunflower chinese restaurant, they actually do serve up real dim sum. Everything else has been disappointing so far, can't compare to Kai Garden or Great Lakes in Ann Abor. I'm not staying in columbus because of CHINESE FOOD IS LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

hell, with a name like that I'm afraid to even go in. But Troy villege chinese food is decent. The best in columbus I found so far is sunflower chinese restaurant, they actually do serve up real dim sum. Everything else has been disappointing so far, can't compare to Kai Garden or Great Lakes in Ann Abor. I'm not staying in columbus because of CHINESE FOOD IS LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

You go to OSU and you've never been to No 1 Chinese restaurant?? It's right there on N High just before Lane.

You go to OSU and you've never been to No 1 Chinese restaurant?? It's right there on N High just before Lane.

I know where it is. I drive pass it all the time, but with a name like that, and by the looks of it, I won't be going in there. :D Besides, Troy Village is just around there, I go there for my chinese fix. :laugh:

heresy! Chinese food is KING! MUST HAVE BEST CHINESE FOOD TO SURVIVE! All your chinese food are belongs to me! :banana: CHINNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :boom:

Like real Chinese food or the stuff that was invented in the US by Asians. Real Chinese food sucks, but I'll take me some General Tso's...yes, sir...

Like real Chinese food or the stuff that was invented in the US by Asians. Real Chinese food sucks, but I'll take me some General Tso's...yes, sir...

I AM chinese. Bwahahahaha, I love real chinese food. Give me some of that cow intestine and steamed crabs mmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smuggrin:

I know where it is. I drive pass it all the time, but with a name like that, and by the looks of it, I won't be going in there. :D Besides, Troy Village is just around there, I go there for my chinese fix. :laugh:

Surprisingly enough it was pretty good. Although since I had in about 6 years ago, I think they got in trouble with the Health Department.

If you're used to (and love) fresh fish and Mexican food, it can get a little depressing when you're thrown some place that doesn't have such options. I put a high value on food and living in buildings that aren't more than 20-30 years old ...not so much on golfing and a big house :cool:

If you're used to (and love) fresh fish and Mexican food, it can get a little depressing when you're thrown some place that doesn't have such options. I put a high value on food and living in buildings that aren't more than 20-30 years old ...not so much on golfing and a big house :cool:

and I put a high value on living in buildings at least 70 years old. I hate new houses.

Members don't see this ad :)
and I put a high value on living in buildings at least 70 years old. I hate new houses.

I like new building codes...haha, i feel safer. Plus I usually won't have to worry about lead paint or asbestos. I dunno...I feel like buildings designed 70 years ago were built for a way of life that is out of date today.

I like new building codes...haha, i feel safer. Plus I usually won't have to worry about lead paint or asbestos. I dunno...I feel like buildings designed 70 years ago were built for a way of life that is out of date today.

Ok....so shoddily built brand new singlewide mobile home...or 70 year old house...? You have to chose one...

I'm gonna buy this house here if its still available in the fall...it's 1980s pimptastic.

Nice house. But obviously expensive. I would like to think my first house (after paying off +100K in loans) would cost around 150-200K, I'm too scared to go higher for fear of losing my home or getting too far in debt.

don't you think $440K house is a little much for your $90K salary? Over stretching on mortgage is so 2006-2007. :D

Not if the wife is making about the same or more than I do....and that house has been on the market forever...I could prolly get it for $375 or lower. I'm cheap though. I'll probably just buy a triple wide...

Ok....so shoddily built brand new singlewide mobile home...or 70 year old house...? You have to chose one...

oh c'mon, make it apples to apples at least. shoddy mobile home vs. shoddy old house.

but to answer your question, i'll take the mobile home, at least i can somewhat move around.

I hate Filthadelphia, this is NOT diversity, this is straight ghetto. :mad: I can't find any decent Mexican or Japanese food at all. I hate it here.

As for SF...yeah it's crazy there, I wouldn't suggest moving there. Most people I know live in the suburbs and just commute in.

Morimoto in Philly is a legit 5 star restaurant.... and there are a bunch of other sushi places in the area that I haven't tried but aren't that bad.

Are you from CA and go to school in philly?

Morimoto in Philly is a legit 5 star restaurant.... and there are a bunch of other sushi places in the area that I haven't tried but aren't that bad.

Are you from CA and go to school in philly?

Yup I'm a CA/Japan transplant, maybe that's why I'm so big on it. And Morimoto? Sure, it's great, but you pay for not only the quality of food but the name and the fact that he's got "Iron Chef" backing him up.

I'm just mad cuz I can get close to the same quality (or about the same quality) for much cheaper at many locally run places back home. Shiroi Hana? Crap. Bumblefish? Epic fail. Fuji Mountain? Decent, but expensive. I can't even find a nice fresh grilled fish place here...even the somewhat "high end" ones are still crap. Even the so-called "Chinatown" out here is crap (save for 2-3 restaurants). I miss having a real Chinatown and a real fish market I can go to and pay market price and a few bucks for someone to grill it up.

Japanese/seafood/Mexican....I devoted my entire first month before school started to finding comparable places, it just didn't happen. This is a pizza/sandwich town, and I hate it. Even worse, when I get "recommendations" from locals about Mexican food and sushi, it turns out to be crap. I can't even trust people's taste buds around here.

Alright, enough negativity, this city throws together a mean hoagie, that's for sure.

So I lost my D&B virginity yesterday (for a work team-building event). How on Earth do you & Pri like the place if you don't like children? They were running around everrrrrywhere. And the place smells like feet.

Haha are you sure it wasn't Chuck-e-Cheese you were at? I get the two confused all the time. :smuggrin:

Yup I'm a CA/Japan transplant, maybe that's why I'm so big on it. And Morimoto? Sure, it's great, but you pay for not only the quality of food but the name and the fact that he's got "Iron Chef" backing him up.

I'm just mad cuz I can get close to the same quality (or about the same quality) for much cheaper at many locally run places back home. Shiroi Hana? Crap. Bumblefish? Epic fail. Fuji Mountain? Decent, but expensive. I can't even find a nice fresh grilled fish place here...even the somewhat "high end" ones are still crap. Even the so-called "Chinatown" out here is crap (save for 2-3 restaurants). I miss having a real Chinatown and a real fish market I can go to and pay market price and a few bucks for someone to grill it up.

Japanese/seafood/Mexican....I devoted my entire first month before school started to finding comparable places, it just didn't happen. This is a pizza/sandwich town, and I hate it. Even worse, when I get "recommendations" from locals about Mexican food and sushi, it turns out to be crap. I can't even trust people's taste buds around here.

Alright, enough negativity, this city throws together a mean hoagie, that's for sure.

yeah the chinatown here kinda sucks... and i can't blame you coming from CA (southern?) with all the good food there is to offer.

there's always nyc...

Haha are you sure it wasn't Chuck-e-Cheese you were at? I get the two confused all the time. :smuggrin:

Lol...it was exactly like Chuck-e-Cheese. Just a little darker inside and louder.

I actually love kids...but even this was a little much for me.

Cool!!! I didn't know you were from Japan! I'll have someone to talk about my trip when I get back in May. :)

Well, I can get fresh fish and great Mexican Food. Houses here are built well and new. I can golf as much as I want and I like the space. There is nothing wrong with having it all. I don't miss having neighbors 10 feet away on the other side of the fence like we did in OC and Northern Cal. And I don't miss I-405, I-5, I-605, 91, and 101.

I found Asian markets tend to have live fresh fish (not for sushi) and I have a ton of those within 15 miles of my house.

If food was the criteria for where I had to live, it would be New Orleans where I can get fresh crawfish, crabs, and shrimp. But even those, I can get fresh here in Dallas.

If I really miss CA, I can always go crash at my parents in OC, though now they're all over US traveling.

I think new houses lack soul and character.

Plus the architecture is way cooler on older houses. You can always bring them to code.

Lol...it was exactly like Chuck-e-Cheese. Just a little darker inside and louder.

I actually love kids...but even this was a little much for me.

Cool!!! I didn't know you were from Japan! I'll have someone to talk about my trip when I get back in May. :)

D&B is Chuck-e-Cheese with beer and those giant quiz machines for 6+ people.

Man, I saw a ~$550 RT out of ORD to NRT all inclusive for April and was SO tempted to pull the trigger and try to score an upgrade to business class with miles. Too bad I still have classes :thumbdown:

And for the record I'm not from Japan, I was just there for a really good chunk of time outside Yokohama.

Well, I can get fresh fish and great Mexican Food. Houses here are built well and new. I can golf as much as I want and I like the space. There is nothing wrong with having it all. I don't miss having neighbors 10 feet away on the other side of the fence like we did in OC and Northern Cal. And I don't miss I-405, I-5, I-605, 91, and 101.

I found Asian markets tend to have live fresh fish (not for sushi) and I have a ton of those within 15 miles of my house.

If food was the criteria for where I had to live, it would be New Orleans where I can get fresh crawfish, crabs, and shrimp. But even those, I can get fresh here in Dallas.

If I really miss CA, I can always go crash at my parents in OC, though now they're all over US traveling.

Stay out of this...I'm harping on Filthadelphia, not TX. I'm actually liking the idea of TX right now. Close to a body of water and Mexico...this could actually work. :idea:

The cost of living here is much higher than it is back home. My rent is a few hundred dollars more per month than it would be where I'm from. :scared:

I hate the food here. :smuggrin: It's not spicy enough, the gumbo's weird, and they put weird things in their crawfish boils like celery and lemons. I miss food from home where the gumbo is thin, the food boiled with crawfish burns your sinuses through and through, and the Tex-Mex is just as good as the Cajun food.

I went to the Irish-Italian parade today and had a blast. They threw all kinds of things like: beads (Duh!), toys, and food. I brought home mini Moon Pies, 4 onions, lots carrots including baby carrots, white and red potatoes, garlic, lemons, a banana, and a couple of tangerines. Very cool!

I made a "seven layer dip" and brought it to my neighbor's barbecue after the parade. Everyone loved it! :D My secret is using a box of Zatarain's cheesy jambalaya rice mix in a box instead of Spanish rice as one of the layers. ;)

Last edited:
Stay out of this...I'm harping on Filthadelphia, not TX. I'm actually liking the idea of TX right now. Close to a body of water and Mexico...this could actually work. :idea:
Nah! There's no culture in Texas, just sprawl.

Try Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, or South Carolina.

what area of the country do you live in right now?

Philly is a tough, gritty city, a lot more so than NYC. You have to definitely be from the Northeast to appreciate... uh i mean be accustomed to it. Currently I'm living in NJ just graduated from Rutgers last year (have been most of my life), from Hong Kong originally. A relocation may be in store for me later this year...

yeah ive lived in CA all my life and its a good diverse place, and with diversity comes good foood (especially mex food...yum:D) but the traffic is ummmmm unmissable......especially the 10 & 210...
it does have almost everything...mountains, valleys, beaches, deserts...so its a nice place to live but the economy here right now is horrible
plus the fact that the cost of living here is the worst..someone gets a 4 bedroom 3 bath house with lots of acres for $250,000 or less, but here i CA, for that price, a 1-bedroom shack.....

I made a "seven layer dip" and brought it to my neighbor's barbecue after the parade. Everyone loved it! :D My secret is using a box of Zatarain's cheesy jambalaya rice mix in a box instead of Spanish rice as one of the layers. ;)

Whoa whoa whoa! What crazy region uses rice in 7 layer dip?!?! Our layers are: beans, cheese, salsa (mild and sweet), sour cream, green dip (not guacamole as there are no real avocados), lettuce, black olives.

North Dakota certainly has a limited food palate but it's ok other than that. I had quite a nice living (and bought a house) when I was making low 30s. I look forward to a real pharmacist salary in 2 years, 1 month and 20 some days.

Whoa whoa whoa! What crazy region uses rice in 7 layer dip?!?! Our layers are: beans, cheese, salsa (mild and sweet), sour cream, green dip (not guacamole as there are no real avocados), lettuce, black olives.

North Dakota certainly has a limited food palate but it's ok other than that. I had quite a nice living (and bought a house) when I was making low 30s. I look forward to a real pharmacist salary in 2 years, 1 month and 20 some days.

Yeah, but it's illegal for CVS to open a pharmacy there.....which is freakin awesome....

yeah ive lived in CA all my life and its a good diverse place, and with diversity comes good foood (especially mex food...yum:D) but the traffic is ummmmm unmissable......especially the 10 & 210...

Traffic isn't so bad, I was always moving in the anti-commute direction, so headed home to south OC from work up in north OC was always 15 mins at 5pm.

The trick is to just know what cardinal directions/freeways to avoid between 5am-10am and 3pm-7pm, and you're set. But if you have to sit in traffic, satellite radio & a comfy car is a must.

Sure beats paying $10+ for the privilege of driving through a slice of delaware...what's with the tolls out in the east coast anyway? Another reason why I hate it out here, freakin' annoying.

Sure beats paying $10+ for the privilege of driving through a slice of delaware...what's with the tolls out in the east coast anyway? Another reason why I hate it out here, freakin' annoying.

I use one of these.

PATPKpicture67.jpg

That way, I'm oblivious to how badly I'm being gouged...because its the only way to tolerate it...

I use one of these.

PATPKpicture67.jpg

That way, I'm oblivious to how badly I'm being gouged...because its the only way to tolerate it...

I have one too, after that one disaster trip to DC stopping at freakin' too many toll plazas, I sprung for one. Good thing PA has the cheapest maintenance fee/deposit.

Traffic isn't so bad, I was always moving in the anti-commute direction, so headed home to south OC from work up in north OC was always 15 mins at 5pm.

The trick is to just know what cardinal directions/freeways to avoid between 5am-10am and 3pm-7pm, and you're set. But if you have to sit in traffic, satellite radio & a comfy car is a must.

unfortunely i have to go with traffic....so its not like i have a choice, and i take side streets sometimes but now they take just as long as the freeway now! :eek:
you know what, i hate to say it but i think toll roads should be in CA too because at least that money could go toward road construction and everything instead of CA taking education money away, but that is just me....
but then again, tolls are annoying i used to visit my family in florida every year and we would drive from miami (they were) to orlando which is a long drive and there were alot of toll to be paid as we drove....it did get kind of annoying, but then again that was awhile ago...isnt like 25 cents like every few miles or has it changed? what if you dont have change on you? lol

you know what, i hate to say it but i think toll roads should be in CA too because at least that money could go toward road construction and everything instead of CA taking education money away, but that is just me....
but then again, tolls are annoying i used to visit my family in florida every year and we would drive from miami (they were) to orlando which is a long drive and there were alot of toll to be paid as we drove....it did get kind of annoying, but then again that was awhile ago...isnt like 25 cents like every few miles or has it changed? what if you dont have change on you? lol

Yeah I remember reading about that, which makes sense. The thing with dense places in LA/OC is that people would just toll evade since there's at least a dozen different routes you can take.

CA just needs to slash its entitlements/social services and we're fine. Everytime I see stupid non-essential script go out the window charged to caloptima, my blood boils. Hopefully the spending caps are passed and we're one step closer to fiscal sanity.

Yeah I remember reading about that, which makes sense. The thing with dense places in LA/OC is that people would just toll evade since there's at least a dozen different routes you can take.

CA just needs to slash its entitlements/social services and we're fine. Everytime I see stupid non-essential script go out the window charged to caloptima, my blood boils. Hopefully the spending caps are passed and we're one step closer to fiscal sanity.
I definitely agree! CA is going down the drain anyway....

I was having a conversation with my cousing who is a recent grad of pharmacy school and i was asking her about paychecks. she said she make only 3500 an month. is this possible?? i thought i would be making that much part time. that is the same as an accountant makes.
here is the breakdown
she works 40 hours a week and make 50 dollars and hour
she says her gross is 8000 but then they take 35 percent for taxes and then she puts 15 percent in her 401 k and then another 15 in her stock options. i can't believe she only makes less than 40 grand aftter its all said an done. i mean i dont understand all u can really afford is like a 350,000 condo at best, i guess i thought it was closer to 80,000 after taxes. my husband works and makes great money, but i was always under the impression that i should go to schooil and have something to fall back on incase things dont work out with my marriage (god forbid) but this is not a job to fall back on. we currently have a beautiful home and i drive a luxury car, but thats just because my husbands salary is so high, i would never be able to have this life style if i was single. thats scary :confused:

That doesn't add up. Well ok Check my math maybe I'm off:

You said she makes $50/hr

$50/ hr * 8 hr/ day = $400 / day
$400/day * 5 days / week = $2000/ week
$2000/week * 4 weeks/ month = $8,000 / month (as opposed to $3500/ month).

And just for kicks: $8,000 / month * 12 months / year = $96,000 / year

And that assumes no weekends, no overtime, nothing going on on the side, no stocks, etc.

I'll admit I haven't read this entire thread, but something about the numbers just doesn't add up (literally).

That doesn't add up. Well ok Check my math maybe I'm off:

You said she makes $50/hr

$50/ hr * 8 hr/ day = $400 / day
$400/day * 5 days / week = $2000/ week
$2000/week * 4 weeks/ month = $8,000 / month (as opposed to $3500/ month).

And just for kicks: $8,000 / month * 12 months / year = $96,000 / year

And that assumes no weekends, no overtime, nothing going on on the side, no stocks, etc.

I'll admit I haven't read this entire thread, but something about the numbers just doesn't add up (literally).

have you ever worked before? bringing up 18 month old threads doesn't count.