salary of Pharmacy tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
u r right i live in chicago area, but my husband is opening an office in california and there you can't get anything under a million. i guess if you are from missisiipei. nebraska, oklahoma, indiana , wisconsin ,you can buy a mansion for 300,000, but if you are from one of those states, thenyou really have no standards right? not to be rude but dont you agree

Members don't see this ad.

u r right i live in chicago area, but my husband is opening an office in california and there you can't get anything under a million. i guess if you are from missisiipei. nebraska, oklahoma, indiana , wisconsin ,you can buy a mansion for 300,000, but if you are from one of those states, thenyou really have no standards right? not to be rude but dont you agree

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yes, because if you just happen to live in a state without an overinflated cost of living you must be a mouth-breathing sloth. Who cares if your state has great education, wonderful outdoors opportunities and isn't urban? If you don't make more than $200K a year you just don't deserve to be treated like a human :rolleyes:

Are you seriously for real? TROLL.

response coming from an idaho student. seriously can you tell people you live in idaho with a straight face? i dont think i could

Members don't see this ad :)
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yes, because if you just happen to live in a state without an overinflated cost of living you must be a mouth-breathing sloth. Who cares if your state has great education, wonderful outdoors opportunities and isn't urban? If you don't make more than $200K a year you just don't deserve to be treated like a human :rolleyes:

Are you seriously for real? TROLL.

Thank you Moxxie. I agree. I don't see what the big deal is about California or New York anyway. All my family is in Mississippi, anyway, and I treasure my breaks from school to go back there and work. Sure I complain about the people being fat, but I'd rather them be fat and down to earth rather than have their heads up their asses like shawn and live on 2 incomes.

response coming from an idaho student. seriously can you tell people you live in idaho with a straight face? i dont think i could

Damn straight I can. Idaho is one of the most beautiful states in the union. Our pharmacy school is one of the most innovative, and we have nearly a 100% NAPLEX pass rate. Gosh, I even know some pakis that live here! (One of my best friends in elementary school is paki - Now she has a PhD in molecular biology and guess what - SHE STILL LIVES IN IDAHO.)

I'm proud to be an Idahoan, even with all the silly connotations (potatoes, Larry Craig, etc.)

now i know for sure you are a troll, trying to get my blood pressure up. please dont ever say anything about pakistanis again, we are extremly smart people, and who never make such poor decisions . TROLL TROLL TROLL, now i understand what a troll is

lol @ thread

i'm definitely looking forward to living in poverty :thumbup::hardy:

I was having a conversation with my cousing who is a recent grad of pharmacy school and i was asking her about paychecks. she said she make only 3500 an month. is this possible?? i thought i would be making that much part time. that is the same as an accountant makes.
here is the breakdown
she works 40 hours a week and make 50 dollars and hour
she says her gross is 8000 but then they take 35 percent for taxes and then she puts 15 percent in her 401 k and then another 15 in her stock options. i can't believe she only makes less than 40 grand aftter its all said an done. i mean i dont understand all u can really afford is like a 350,000 condo at best, i guess i thought it was closer to 80,000 after taxes. my husband works and makes great money, but i was always under the impression that i should go to schooil and have something to fall back on incase things dont work out with my marriage (god forbid) but this is not a job to fall back on. we currently have a beautiful home and i drive a luxury car, but thats just because my husbands salary is so high, i would never be able to have this life style if i was single. thats scary :confused:

How old are you? Let's see...

In the (similar) words of Dr. Bob Kelso,

"You went through 4 years of undergrad and 4 years of (Pharmacy) School, so I can logically say that you are at least 8 years old."

Anyone wanna go halfsies on a cardboard box, with its own personalized bird crap decor, seeing how having a nice life is simply out of the question for a pharmacist?

I love Utah and Tennessee..hopefully I'll hear from them! I absolutely adored the nature and it really made me see a different side of life. A better one at that (well from fast paced California) Its ok if I am poor, I am already broke..so its all chill. I think as long as you learn how to manage money and be wise you'll be good to go.

I was having a conversation with my cousing who is a recent grad of pharmacy school and i was asking her about paychecks. she said she make only 3500 an month. is this possible?? i thought i would be making that much part time. that is the same as an accountant makes.
here is the breakdown
she says her gross is 8000 but then they take 35 percent for taxes and then she puts 15 percent in her 401 k and then another 15 in her stock options. i can't believe she only makes less than 40 grand aftter its all said an done. i mean i dont understand all u can really afford is like a 350,000 condo at best, i guess i thought it was closer to 80,000 after taxes. my husband works and makes great money, but i was always under the impression that i should go to schooil and have something to fall back on incase things dont work out with my marriage (god forbid) but this is not a job to fall back on. we currently have a beautiful home and i drive a luxury car, but thats just because my husbands salary is so high, i would never be able to have this life style if i was single. thats scary :confused:
Wow...that is nuts that you cannot have that kind of life. wow talk about dignity.. Is there any left??? haha

Hey sleepyguii...is their room for me in that shack?? Cuz 40k won't get a real roof over my head apparently.

my husband works and makes great money, but i was always under the impression that i should go to schooil and have something to fall back on incase things dont work out with my marriage (god forbid) but this is not a job to fall back on. we currently have a beautiful home and i drive a luxury car, but thats just because my husbands salary is so high, i would never be able to have this life style if i was single. thats scary :confused:

wow! what does your husband do again? :rolleyes:

here is the breakdown
she says her gross is 8000 but then they take 35 percent for taxes and then she puts 15 percent in her 401 k and then another 15 in her stock options.

This is because she is saving money for the future by putting it in her 401k and buying stock. Not all Americans are idiots who spend all of their income.

Here's what I bought as a pharmacist and I still put away money in savings each month.
FromBeach.jpg

This is because she is saving money for the future by putting it in her 401k and buying stock. Not all Americans are idiots who spend all of their income.

Here's what I bought as a pharmacist and I still put away money in savings each month.
FromBeach.jpg

That is nice, I want to move to FL after I finish Pharm school, but the cost of living down there is crazy. Here in TN you can get a mansion here for a lil over 200k from watch HGTV houses in FL cost twice that amount and are smaller

Members don't see this ad :)
here is the breakdown

Troll, you are just getting lazy now

1. Paki culture you wouldn't get a divorce, when you husband (i forget what does he do? how much does he make?) cheats on you with the numerous other females in his profession (you still haven't responded to my statements on the other troll thread you started), you just have to say "yes Sir (Master?), i will try harder to please you Sir" you don't have to worry about living on single income because you aren't allowed to get a divorce.

2. Paki culture you aren't allowed to say the word "god"

When trolling at least TRY to get your character right, it makes it more fun for the rest of us.

with All your bitterness, I'm wondering, did you not onlly get turned down for pharmacy school interviews but did they literally laugh at you while doing so?

To the rest of the posters, the trolls imaginary friend is smart as hell by the way.........saving 30% of his/her salary? That person will be well set to retire by 55ish if they keep that up.

That is nice, I want to move to FL after I finish Pharm school, but the cost of living down there is crazy. Here in TN you can get a mansion here for a lil over 200k from watch HGTV houses in FL cost twice that amount and are smaller

I love HGTV! They say Florida is 20 years behind California in the housing market....so it will probably only get worse once the housing market rebounds.

You can still get reasonably priced homes here, it just depends on the city. I've never lived in South Florida, but many of my friends do and they have a very high cost of living. Other parts of Florida may still be pricey in some areas but are not near as high as South Beach, etc.

I think it is really all about budgeting. You could skimp on the 401k and stocks and have a whole lot more money to spend, but where does that leave you when you retire? If you can't afford to save money to retire how are you even going to be able to afford to retire?

she said she make only 3500 an month. is this possible?? i thought i would be making that much part time. that is the same as an accountant makes.
here is the breakdown
she says her gross is 8000 but then they take 35 percent for taxes and then she puts 15 percent in her 401 k and then another 15 in her stock options.

Ummm...do the math and you will see it is possible.
40 hours/week * $50/hour * 4 weeks/month = $8000/month pre-tax

15% of $8000 to 401K = $1200
15% of $8000 to stock options = $1200

$8000 - $1200 - $1200 = $5600 left after pre-tax benefits

35% of the remaining $5600 = $1960 for taxes

$5600 - $1960 = $3640

Which is basically the same as $3500/month

What a silly question

That is a beautiful home Dana!! I've never been a fan of Florida, but that makes it look lovely!!

Ummm...do the math and you will see it is possible.
40 hours/week * $50/hour * 4 weeks/month = $8000/month pre-tax

15% of $8000 to 401K = $1200
15% of $8000 to stock options = $1200

$8000 - $1200 - $1200 = $5600 left after pre-tax benefits

35% of the remaining $5600 = $1960 for taxes

$5600 - $1960 = $3640

Which is basically the same as $3500/month

What a silly question

Could you explain why the stock options would not be taxed?

I believe stock options are usually taxed; but since you are buying it via employer. . you get a really good discount (ie 15 percent discount at lowest price of the 6 months), so really. . it negates the tax for most purposes.

We get paid about 6000 a month after taxes more or less. After saving for retirement (your 401k); + stock options. . ., you would end up with 4000 a month which is not bad at all.

At the same time, (if your employer matches the first 6 percent of your 401k plan (about 6k), + 2400 (401k + stock options) a month = 3k X 12 months = 36k/year), you will end up with about 3 million dollars after 20 years at a conservative 10 percent return (with miminal risk via CD accounts), 6.5 million in 30 years, and 17.5 million in 40 years. This means you can live a pretty healthy life, with almost no risk at the age of 65. Of course, if you were to get a better return (15-20 percent) via a honest financial company through ETFs and mutual funds, that amount can skyrocket to 317 million dollars.

http://www.moneychimp.com/calculator/compound_interest_calculator.htm . . .

Shawnrx,

You seem to be young, immature, and only interested in money. Pharmacists have a great amount of responsibility and need to think logically with a sound mind.

A 350,000 condo is a very nice piece of property. If your husband makes a lot of money, you should be VERY thankful, and not brag about it. Let me tell you a secret.... Wealthy people don't brag about how much money they have. They don't have to. You seem to be starving for attention while putting others down. Be thankful you live in this country now! That is part of the american dream! Love it or Leave it!!!!!!!!!

what is the purpose of becoming a pharmacist when all you care about is the money portion of the occupation? if you care about money so much, why not just go out there, get a MBA degree, and own a company? I think that it is so much more stressful to earn 3500 as a pharmacist than to earn 3500 as a manager in a store.

I believe stock options are usually taxed; but since you are buying it via employer. . you get a really good discount (ie 15 percent discount at lowest price of the 6 months), so really. . it negates the tax for most purposes.

We get paid about 6000 a month after taxes more or less. After saving for retirement (your 401k); + stock options. . ., you would end up with 4000 a month which is not bad at all.

At the same time, (if your employer matches the first 6 percent of your 401k plan (about 6k), + 2400 (401k + stock options) a month = 3k X 12 months = 36k/year), you will end up with about 3 million dollars after 20 years at a conservative 10 percent return (with miminal risk via CD accounts), 6.5 million in 30 years, and 17.5 million in 40 years. This means you can live a pretty healthy life, with almost no risk at the age of 65. Of course, if you were to get a better return (15-20 percent) via a honest financial company through ETFs and mutual funds, that amount can skyrocket to 317 million dollars.

http://www.moneychimp.com/calculator/compound_interest_calculator.htm . . .

I'm not trying to flame, but I wouldn't call a 10% return "conservative" and wouldn't bank on getting that from CDs..........

I'm not trying to flame, but I wouldn't call a 10% return "conservative" and wouldn't bank on getting that from CDs..........

http://www.mlnbank.com/EN/services/premcds.htm?gclid=COehjpHLq5ACFSG8GgoddF_N7w

This bank posted a 8.5 percent return rate for a 5 year CD. However, 10 percent is pretty much a conservative sum when it comes to investing in my opinion. Investment as in stocks, mutual funds, real estate, etc.

Then again, once you hit that 500k point, you can always negotiate with your bank. . . for a better cd rate, if you keep your money there.

http://www.mlnbank.com/EN/services/premcds.htm?gclid=COehjpHLq5ACFSG8GgoddF_N7w

This bank posted a 8.5 percent return rate for a 5 year CD. However, 10 percent is pretty much a conservative sum when it comes to investing in my opinion. Investment as in stocks, mutual funds, real estate, etc.

Then again, once you hit that 500k point, you can always negotiate with your bank. . . for a better cd rate, if you keep your money there.

Yes, saw your link for 100K CDs it's a 8.5%. 3 things:
1. that is still under 10%
2. Will need to work your way up to that figure, Unless you have family money, you (or anyone) won't be buying 100K CDs upon graduation. (and let's not even START about the 500K CDs). And it will take most people awhile to reach that as the first thing they will (should be) be investing in is their 401Ks/403Bs...........
3. 10% is still not conservative over a 30 year stretch like we are talking about. For every year like last year, there will be years like this year, over the long haul stocks/mutual funds do have increases but in GENERAL not at a rate that is 15-20% (thereby making 10% "conservative")
Since you like links, here is one that shows the annual rate of return for the S&P 500:
http://www.mutualofamerica.com/articles/CapMan/October03/SandP500.htm

You'll see that 9-12% is the range for most years.

And you say that is conservative and people can do better? Some few people over the long haul yes, but not most people.

And none of this takes into consideration of MOST students today will be graduating with significant student loans.

Then the natural course of things of buying a house, getting married, having kids. Believe it or not, all of that cuts into your savings.

I say for many people saving at least 10% of your own money, (employer matches, etc are bonuses) and shoot for a 7-10% return will still have you in decent shape (this is assuming you are graduating around 25yo), if you are a non-trad student and graduating at a later age in life, please consider saving 15% at least.

I have been a pharmacist for over 5 years and agree that we dont make much money. I can't get a massage as freely as I would like and I only go on one vacation a year. I live in a decent home but it's nothing like the one i have dreamed about my whole life. I will be getting married in the summer and I know that along with my husbands income we can make our dreams come true. BTW I really enjoyed what shawnrx and vancodoser were saying, as much as it hit a nerve with a few of you, i think most of us got angry because we are jealous of the girls who are working in the pharmacy but dont have to. I know quite a few pharmacist who married docs and now they work just because they love it. and i think they love it because they know they don't really have to work. I hope people dont get angry and call me a troll, because i am not one, I am someone who has observed two people get banned from this forum because they got under are skins. bring those two back :thumbup: btw my fiance is a dentist LOL just kidding, but that was really funny how shawnrx mentioned it every post. I have indian friends like that, and they make sure they mention it within five minutes of meeting someone new. its annoying but it's their culture i guess. when i started introducing people to my fiance , they would always ask what he did right away. i was proud to say he was a dentist. my two cents

From nearly all the reported job offers and salary reports I have seen, it seems that the average pharmacist will earn about $100k/year regardless of the cost of living in a certain area (ex: a pharmacist from small town Iowa will make around the same amount as someone in LA). Does anyone have any experience with how this works? If you transfer to an area with a higher cost of living does your standard of living decrease or does the salary increase usually cover the difference? Comments from those who have transferred jobs within the same company would be especially useful. Thanks in advance.

**Note: please do NOT turn this into another thread about how much a pharmacist makes....rather this is to discuss cost of living vs. salary.**

From nearly all the reported job offers and salary reports I have seen, it seems that the average pharmacist will earn about $100k/year regardless of the cost of living in a certain area (ex: a pharmacist from small town Iowa will make around the same amount as someone in LA). Does anyone have any experience with how this works? If you transfer to an area with a higher cost of living does your standard of living decrease or does the salary increase usually cover the difference? Comments from those who have transferred jobs within the same company would be especially useful. Thanks in advance.

**Note: please do NOT turn this into another thread about how much a pharmacist makes....rather this is to discuss cost of living vs. salary.**

The salary is not the same every where. I think the difference was mostly based on supply and demand because in az the salary used to be on higher side because there was a big demand, now there isn't so who knows what the salary will be but I can tell you it won't increase like the last 10 years.

There is probably some cost of living but I know in Hawaii you make less than what you make here and the cost of living is far greater in Hawaii.

Salaries are not the same...LA pharmacists don't make $100k, it's more on the order of $115k ($55/hr, 40 hours a week, 52 weeks/yr) w/out OT (@ 1.5x). It ends up evening out on the back end with income taxes and such, but you can augment that with deductions and such, so it'll be different for everybody.

However, CA is a special case in that the higher salary will NOT cover what most people consider the difference in the standard of living. If you put a high value on living space in terms of square footage, for example, you will be sorely disappointed as to what a pharmacist's salary can buy (relatively speaking).

If, however, you value population diversity, fair weather, and a plethora of ethnic food choices...you will have a better "standard of living" than many places in the midwest.

It all depends on what you value.

Wherever you go in the USA, a pharmacist should make around $95,000 to $115,000 without trying very hard.

I can tell you this. You can live like a king with $95,000 in small town Iowa but you won't with $115,000 in LA. Having lived in both Southern and Northern Cal, the only benefit I can see is the mild weather. But as far as diversity, any major metropolitan areas in the US will provide it.

It depends on need too. I'm moving to an area with a very low cost of living, but it's high-need area for pharmacy so offers are more like 125K

here, have an easy tool for cost of living comparison.

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/

e.g making $100K in Columbus, Ohio.... for me to move to San Diego, Cali they better pay me $170K. Somehow I doubt that'll happen.

here, have an easy tool for cost of living comparison.

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/

e.g making $100K in Columbus, Ohio.... for me to move to San Diego, Cali they better pay me $170K. Somehow I doubt that'll happen.

This is what I got for San Francisco vs. Yinzertown.

A salary of $90,000 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania should increase to $199,445 in San Francisco, California.

HAHAHA. And once this damned wage freeze ends, I'll be up $3 more an hour....add my $5000 retention bonus...next year, I'll be making $218,000 San Francisco dollars. Hahaha. It's like comparing my wages to Ethiopian currency or something.

Last edited:
Cost of Living Comparison:
Cincinnati, Ohio - Honolulu, Hawaii

Honolulu is 124% more expensive than Cincinnati.
Housing is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.
Housing is 524% more expensive in Honolulu.

A salary of $100,000 in Cincinnati, Ohio should increase to $223,580 in Honolulu, Hawaii

sweet.

But as far as diversity, any major metropolitan areas in the US will provide it.

I hate Filthadelphia, this is NOT diversity, this is straight ghetto. :mad: I can't find any decent Mexican or Japanese food at all. I hate it here.

As for SF...yeah it's crazy there, I wouldn't suggest moving there. Most people I know live in the suburbs and just commute in.

I hate Filthadelphia, this is NOT diversity, this is straight ghetto. :mad: I can't find any decent Mexican or Japanese food at all. I hate it here.

As for SF...yeah it's crazy there, I wouldn't suggest moving there. Most people I know live in the suburbs and just commute in.

****. I love philly. My kind of town.

And maybe you should go to Morimoto. It's the bomb diggity. There's this little joint on Sansom street in Center City that's good, too...I forget the name...

And I've been to a few pretty good hole-in-the-wall Mexican joints in Philly, too...just randomly wandering the streets.

Maybe you need to look harder....

Last edited:
Okay I did a cost comparison between Philadelphia, PA and Irvine, CA (Orange County) and it came out with:

A salary of $100,000 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania should increase to $183,473 in Irvine, California

The thing skewing this figure the most is listed as "real estate" and that Irvine is "83% more expensive than Irvine." Does this stat still hold true considering the events of the past year? All other factors are close to even.

I know at least for the rental market, for a comparable one bedroom apartment you'd be paying $1400/mo vs. $1800/mo in OC.

Anyway I'm sure this site gives you a general idea of what places are more/less expensive, but I have a funny feeling it's not fully accurate for most of us.

****. I love philly. My kind of town.

And maybe you should go to Morimoto. It's the bomb diggity.

Ok I've eaten there...freakin' expensive, but good. I'm talking about good "daily" Japanese food. I've talked to exchange students and they tell me to take the bus to NYC.

Philly...hrmph, smells like piss, all day every day. Do you know how many drugged out idiots I've got to avoid/yell at on my daily walk? And I live in Rittenhouse. We need to bring back insane asylums.

And I've been to a few pretty good hole-in-the-wall Mexican joints in Philly.

Maybe you need to look harder....

Trust me, they suck, I've been to them too. All of them. They can't hold a candle to "15 mins from the border" Mexican food in San Diego (or Texas I would imagine).

Trust me, they suck, I've been to them too. All of them. They can't hold a candle to "15 mins from the border" Mexican food in San Diego (or Texas I would imagine).

Well, of course not...they're not bad though. On the flip side...I bet the cheesesteaks in San Diego taste like ****, too...:D

Well, of course not...they're not bad though. On the flip side...I bet the cheesesteaks in San Diego taste like ****, too...:D

Haha, funny you mention this. There's this place back up in OC called "Philly's Best" which actually tastes just as good as Philly's, minus the attitude.

Then again...it's the attitude that adds flavor/charisma to the 'steak.

You may be on to something...SD Mexican food is best experienced driving there at 2am on a random day in January wearing shorts, a hoodie, and flip flops. Eh, maybe not, all my transplant friends say it's still meh.

Haha, funny you mention this. There's this place back up in OC called "Philly's Best" which actually tastes just as good as Philly's, minus the attitude.

Then again...it's the attitude that adds flavor/charisma to the 'steak.

You may be on to something...SD Mexican food is best experienced driving there at 2am on a random day in January wearing shorts, a hoodie, and flip flops. Eh, maybe not, all my transplant friends say it's still meh.

There is/was a Mexican joint right outside the San Luis Rey gate at Camp Pendleton called Eribertos. It had THE best Mexican food I've ever had. Flies were always cruising the front area and it was hotter than hell but you got a damned good carne asada quesadilla and the horchata was like nectar of the gods.

There is/was a Mexican joint right outside the San Luis Rey gate at Camp Pendleton called Eribertos. It had THE best Mexican food I've ever had. Flies were always cruising the front area and it was hotter than hell but you got a damned good carne asada quesadilla and the horchata was like nectar of the gods.

I hate you, why'd you have to chime in with that ****.

That sounds so good! :D

That's your first problem....going to one of those tourist traps with the attitude...Jims...Pats...terrible. The bigger the hole in the wall, the better the sandwich. The best cheesesteak I had was down some nondescript street in South Philly made by some old Italian that hadn't showered in months...

That's your first problem....going to one of those tourist traps with the attitude...Jims...Pats...terrible. The bigger the hole in the wall, the better the sandwich. The best cheesesteak I had was down some nondescript street in South Philly made by some old Italian that hadn't showered in months...

Damn, that sounds good too. I think you just decided my dinner for the night. One whiz 'wit. And yeah I stopped going to Geno's, I remember first coming here and thinking it was the best damn thing since sliced bread. After waiting in line one too many times with a bunch of tourists, I just said forget it... There's one place I discovered deep in south philly around Oregon, forget the name though.

Anyway, back on topic. If you value greasy Mexican food running down your arm, CA cost of living doesn't seem so bad. If you like cheese whiz thrown onto an Amoroso roll with steak, Philly is your town, you'll deal w/ the homeless/vagrants/crazies.