Salary Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Night1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello -

So i have been researching salaries for counselors online. The average is approximately $35K a year; however, I am wondering if this takes into consideration counselors that are just starting off and getting licensed and people that have been in the career for decades. just trying to figure out if the average salary is the average salary i will make into well into my career or more of a start-off salary indicator.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

From my searching, that seems to be the overall average sadly. I have recently found a slew of positions (though mostly contracted into schools) with a starting pay of $24k.

It depends greatly on the work setting, geographical setting, and years of experiences. I have a friend who just got licensed as a clinical social worker (LCSW) and she makes $43,000/year as an adolescent therapist. I imagine her salary will increase as her experience increases. Also, individuals in private practice tend to make more, but again it depends on the area you live in.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you both! have you guys heard or know approximately the average salary that counselors earn in private practice. i realize that varies based on numerous factors however just trying to see what private practice typically makes.

i havent found any information online specifically geared to average salaries of private practice.

Thank You!

thank you both! have you guys heard or know approximately the average salary that counselors earn in private practice. i realize that varies based on numerous factors however just trying to see what private practice typically makes.

i havent found any information online specifically geared to average salaries of private practice.

Thank You!

Generally, I think private practice varies greatly. Reason being in private practice, an individual works for himself, setting his own salary. However, the market and managed care reimbursement will determine how much an individual in private practice will make. Geographic location plays a big part in how much someone in private practice can charge. In most parts of the midwest, the average hourly rate runs between $75-$85/session; however, how much the therapist actually pockets will be determined by caseload, overhead, etc. Because individuals in private practice have much discretion over their expenses, they have a lot of control over how much they profit. A business savvy individual will do much better in private practice than his peers, increasing his net salary. In private practice there is much more room for discretion and therefore range in net income whereas in agency or organizational work, there is much more structure, leading to more reliable income and thus less variation in income range.

Generally, I think private practice varies greatly. Reason being in private practice, an individual works for himself, setting his own salary. However, the market and managed care reimbursement will determine how much an individual in private practice will make. Geographic location plays a big part in how much someone in private practice can charge. In most parts of the midwest, the average hourly rate runs between $75-$85/session; however, how much the therapist actually pockets will be determined by caseload, overhead, etc. Because individuals in private practice have much discretion over their expenses, they have a lot of control over how much they profit. A business savvy individual will do much better in private practice than his peers, increasing his net salary. In private practice there is much more room for discretion and therefore range in net income whereas in agency or organizational work, there is much more structure, leading to more reliable income and thus less variation in income range.

yeah that makes sense!