Samuel Merritt interview jan 21

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctwen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How was the interview for all those who had it? What kind of questions did they ask you?

Members don't see this ad.

How was the interview for all those who had it? What kind of questions did they ask you?

It was REALLY really laid back. Honestly, there's nothing to worry about.

I remember one question in particular that kind of stumbled me. It was, "If I were a random person that you met on the streets, how would you explain the profession of physical therapy?"

Other questions were pretty basic, like:

"Why do you want to become a PT?"
"What about Merritt do you think makes it the right school for you?"
"Tell me something about your application that you want me to know."

The professors are so nice, that you honestly forget that it's an interview.

sparkeeze is right. I think possibly the worst part was waiting to be brought to the interview itself. The waiting kills you. I definitely stumbled on that same question. The professors are AMAZING. I wish I could've spoken with them longer.

Also, does anyone on these forums know when they notify you of your status?

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was talking to students they said we should hear in 2-3 weeks. I really liked everyone I talked to there they were all so helpful and welcoming!

One told me that some people heard back within 3 days. That would be amazing!!

Have any of you heard back from / been accepted to Samuel Merritt yet? I also interviewed there on Saturday. Getting nervous...

I agree that the interview was laid back, and very fast, but I found it nerve wracking, as it was my first graduate interview ever! I'm not the strongest candidate either, so I really feel like I needed to "wow" them, but I was so nervous I'm afraid that instead I came across like a deer in headlights. :p

I will be applying there this upcoming cycle, what kind of stats did everyone have? I am anxious about making myself a good candidate, thanks!

I think the best way to be a strong candidate is to keep your grades up and GET INVOLVED in any way you can. Meaning, volunteer in different settings (beyond the required 40 hours) and also get involved in the community in some way, get a job as a PT Aide or even in a fitness setting, coach a kids team, etc. One of my interviewers asked me what kind of community service I've done, and I had to say basically none, which he did not seem very happy about. Putting in real time in the field, or a related field will show a true interest in PT. This seems more valuable than worrying about honors and awards.

My GPA was poor, as I am an older student and got my degree over 10 years ago. Things are different now. I have 156 credit hours of post-bacc coursework (mostly art and real estate, and my remaining pre-requisites) and I carry a 4.0 now in those 156 hours. I hope they take that into consideration. As embarrassing as it is, here are my stats. They might not be great, but they got me an interview at SMU! :)

University: University of California, Santa Barbara '99
Major: Biology
Overall GPA: 3.16
Pre-Req GPA: 2.98 (and climbing...)
GRE: V160 Q158 AW 4.0

Volunteer: 70 hours @ post-acute rehab / skilled nursing facility

Good luck!