Samuel Merritt vs Sac State

Started by MM33
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MM33

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am trying to decide between Sac state and Samuel Merritt's DPT program. I've done some research so far I've heard pros and cons of both going to list them out.
SMU
pros: 1 year of anatomy with your own cadaver, better funded since its a private school, ranked in top 3 by USNEWS in California and 39 in nation, great faculty, good alumni networking

cons: more expensive, small and isolated school in a not so nice area
CSUS
pros: cheaper, great faculty, new facility,

cons: only one semester anatomy precut cadavers, clinicals only in last year, not ranked as well

Anybody have any additional input, it's been hard to find additional concrete information about programs other then whats listed on their pages
 
I'm secretly hoping that you choose Sac State since I'm waitlisted at SMU haha.

I've heard good things about both programs to be honest. The students at SMU seem to really like the program (from my 2 visits there) and the ranking is quite high. It is incredibly expensive though and as you alluded to, I'm a little worried about the location. The cost of SMU is lowered if you get the $15k scholarship. I have limited experience, but I didn't meet a SMU PT, so I can't relay the professional's insight.

I haven't networked with many Sac State students or alums either, but I shadowed a PT who graduated from Sac State 3 years ago and he said that the program prepared him very well. This guy worked inpatient, home health, and outpatient. He mentioned that if you're motivated and are okay with putting in a little more work in terms of self studying, then the school is going to pay off. He mentioned that Sac State was a great experience for him, but "you get what you pay for". So if you feel you aren't capable of self studying to supplement what you learn, it might be a tougher experience for you.

I don't want to skew your decision in a way that it benefits me, though. Both are great options. I didn't apply to Sac State because I really didn't want to have to move there for school (I live in the East Bay, so SMU and UCSF are good options). If the school was a bit closer, I probably would attend because it's a lot cheaper than SMU.
 
For what it's worth I have talked to two PTs who think SMU students enter the field really well prepared. According to one SMU students are more prepared to be in the clinic then UCSF students, though she went to UCSF so that could have been her perception of others being more prepared then her. She did say though that she is consistently impressed with SMU students she gets.

Sac doesn't have as high rankings but the other, who runs a PT department for Kaiser said the best PT and the worst she ever met were from Sac. So I think PT school is what you make of it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Go the cheaper route. Pretty much no one will care what your school is ranked when you're applying for jobs

I agree with this. Everyone takes the same license exam. But its gonna be the hardest most committed 3 years of your life. If you actually enjoy where your going then your not only going to do better, but it will make life easier. So if the more expensive school is affordable to you then choose which ever you will be happiest with, not just one cause it will be cheaper. But trust me I understand the debt issue. Im screwed.. haha =)
 
So I am trying to decide between Sac state and Samuel Merritt's DPT program. I've done some research so far I've heard pros and cons of both going to list them out.
SMU
pros: 1 year of anatomy with your own cadaver, better funded since its a private school, ranked in top 3 by USNEWS in California and 39 in nation, great faculty, good alumni networking

cons: more expensive, small and isolated school in a not so nice area
CSUS
pros: cheaper, great faculty, new facility,

cons: only one semester anatomy precut cadavers, clinicals only in last year, not ranked as well

Anybody have any additional input, it's been hard to find additional concrete information about programs other then whats listed on their pages

I don't mean to sound rude, but I think you might have made a few mistakes... clinicals begin during the summer semester of the second year, not the last year. and gross anatomy is two semesters at SMU, not 1 year.

But anyways, I am waitlisted at SMU, so I have also made a list and our list is very similar

CSUS:
pros: cost, new facilities (which says something about the program, especially with CA's budget cuts), variety of faculties, small class size, affordable rent

cons: only one semester of gross anatomy with pre-cut cadavers, no short clinical internships throughout the first five semesters

SMU:
pros: great curriculum (clinical internships throughout and a 6 month internship at the end), more established PT program (SMU 1992 vs CSUS 1997), more clinical experience (SMU 42 weeks vs CSUS 36 weeks), variety of faculties, networking in the bay area (2 of the PTs i've volunteered for at an inpatient setting graduated from SMU and they spoke highly about the networking from SMU)

cons: cost, location, commute, campus

If I do get into SMU, I think I will choose CSUS.

When I asked the students at CSUS about what they thought about only having one semester of gross anatomy... they said they were happy with their cadavers and that even though they only had one semester of gross anatomy, a lot of the gross anatomy were reinforced/taught in other courses. I also think that the 3 different twelve weeks of full time internships at CSUS is a plus because it really allows you to get used to the setting and learn as well as build a personal relationship/connection with the PT you will be working with. And I also think that there will be opportunities for students to gain hands on experience in the first five semesters (see link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aH5GiO6_71A). And last but not least, the cost. The difference of ~23k is the trump card for me.
 
Last edited:
I don't mean to sound rude, but I think you might have made a few mistakes... clinicals begin during the summer semester of the second year, not the last year. and gross anatomy is two semesters at SMU, not 1 year.

But anyways, I am waitlisted at SMU, so I have also made a list and our list is very similar

CSUS:
pros: cost, new facilities (which says something about the program, especially with CA's budget cuts), variety of faculties, small class size, affordable rent

cons: only one semester of gross anatomy with pre-cut cadavers, no short clinical internships throughout the first five semesters

SMU:
pros: great curriculum (clinical internships throughout and a 6 month internship at the end), more established PT program (SMU 1992 vs CSUS 1997), more clinical experience (SMU 42 weeks vs CSUS 36 weeks), variety of faculties, networking in the bay area (2 of the PTs i've volunteered for at an inpatient setting graduated from SMU and they spoke highly about the networking from SMU)

cons: cost, location, commute, campus

If I do get into SMU, I think I will choose CSUS.

When I asked the students at CSUS about what they thought about only having one semester of gross anatomy... they said they were happy with their cadavers and that even though they only had one semester of gross anatomy, a lot of the gross anatomy were reinforced/taught in other courses. I also think that the 3 different twelve weeks of full time internships at CSUS is a plus because it really allows you to get used to the setting and learn as well as build a personal relationship/connection with the PT you will be working with. And I also think that there will be opportunities for students to gain hands on experience in the first five semesters (see link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aH5GiO6_71A). And last but not least, the cost. The difference of ~23k is the trump card for me.
Yeah i meant to put 2 semesters, my bad. But I also heard that at CSUS you have to pay tuition while your on clinical. I mean CSUS is cheaper regardless, I just find it odd that your paying tuition while away on clinical. I spoke to a couple CSUS alumni today though and I was told that there is still hands on instruction throughout the first 5 semesters, just no clinicals I agree the price is a huge factor but with the 15k dollar annual scholarship at SMU, it evens it out a little.
 
For what it's worth I have talked to two PTs who think SMU students enter the field really well prepared. According to one SMU students are more prepared to be in the clinic then UCSF students, though she went to UCSF so that could have been her perception of others being more prepared then her. She did say though that she is consistently impressed with SMU students she gets.

Sac doesn't have as high rankings but the other, who runs a PT department for Kaiser said the best PT and the worst she ever met were from Sac. So I think PT school is what you make of it.
I agree your going to get out of PT school what you put into it, just trying to find out which school will have the better resources and curriculum to prepare me. Thanks for the info though very helpful
 
Yeah i meant to put 2 semesters, my bad. But I also heard that at CSUS you have to pay tuition while your on clinical. I mean CSUS is cheaper regardless, I just find it odd that your paying tuition while away on clinical. I spoke to a couple CSUS alumni today though and I was told that there is still hands on instruction throughout the first 5 semesters, just no clinicals I agree the price is a huge factor but with the 15k dollar annual scholarship at SMU, it evens it out a little.

Yeah i agree... It is weird. Btw do you know how many annual scholarships they give out at smu? I spoke with jerri last week about department scholarships, she said that there are a couple and that they will be made available to us starting in the second semester (will be determined via grades, finacial needs). There are also a ton of scholarships for sac state itelf but the deadline for those have already past. And which school are you leaning towards?
 
Yeah i agree... It is weird. Btw do you know how many annual scholarships they give out at smu? I spoke with jerri last week about department scholarships, she said that there are a couple and that they will be made available to us starting in the second semester (will be determined via grades, finacial needs). There are also a ton of scholarships for sac state itelf but the deadline for those have already past. And which school are you leaning towards?
I talked to 2 students in sac states program during my interview who got 4K grants/scholarships a semester, but Jerri said that usually is not decided until the second semester which kind of sucks. I don't know how many scholarships they give but to apply for the scholarship at SMU you simply had to fill out a really short survey, and I was told they gave them out to a good number of students. I'm still split to be honest part of me wants to go to sac state and part of me wants to go to SMU.