Program-Specific Info / Q's San Jose State MSOT Fall 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I sent official transcripts directly from my schools to GAPE. I also included transcripts sent to me, from each of my colleges, in my application packet that I sent to the OT department. I just did everything I could think of, because it seemed like last year a lot of people were missing things. Also, in the advising session at SJSU, they gave us a breakdown of everything needed and where each thing should go. I found that to be WAY more helpful than the site or the checklist, as it seemed like they mentioned quite a few things at the session that weren't listed on the site.
Did they say that they needed unofficial transcripts to the OT department at the advising session? I'm just confused because Dr. Gigi Smith and Dream both told me that my application was complete as of 10/1. I wish I could have gone to the advising session but I live out of state. I'm going to send them regardless but I am waiting for my fall grades to be available next week

Members don't see this ad.

Did they say that they needed unofficial transcripts to the OT department at the advising session? I'm just confused because Dr. Gigi Smith and Dream both told me that my application was complete as of 10/1. I wish I could have gone to the advising session but I live out of state. I'm going to send them regardless but I am waiting for my fall grades to be available next week
They kind of went back and forth. At first they said, no, we can get them from OTCAS, and then they ended up saying applications are processed faster if everything is included in the packet sent to the OT department (which is why I included everything possible). I'd send them either way, especially because you weren't done with classes before you applied. The biggest thing I found helpful was Dr. Smith's explanation of the Recommendation letters and volunteer evaluation forms. That was really confusing for a lot of people, and I never would have gotten it right if I didn't hear her explanation. I'd say you don't have anything to worry about if they gave you a completion date. As long as you met all of the minimums (pre-reqs, etc) by that date, you're fine.

They kind of went back and forth. At first they said, no, we can get them from OTCAS, and then they ended up saying applications are processed faster if everything is included in the packet sent to the OT department (which is why I included everything possible). I'd send them either way, especially because you weren't done with classes before you applied. The biggest thing I found helpful was Dr. Smith's explanation of the Recommendation letters and volunteer evaluation forms. That was really confusing for a lot of people, and I never would have gotten it right if I didn't hear her explanation. I'd say you don't have anything to worry about if they gave you a completion date. As long as you met all of the minimums (pre-reqs, etc) by that date, you're fine.
Okay, thank you! I'll overnight them ASAP. I figured it was all okay because they told me it was complete! I had all of the minimums and whatnot done on 10/1, so I'm guessing it's fine. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, thank you! I'll overnight them ASAP. I figured it was all okay because they told me it was complete! I had all of the minimums and whatnot done on 10/1, so I'm guessing it's fine. Thanks for your help!
No problem! Here's to hoping they start sending out letters this week, and that we all hear great things over the next couple of weeks!

No problem! Here's to hoping they start sending out letters this week, and that we all hear great things over the next couple of weeks!
Yes! I'm hoping that they start sending notices out this week! Good luck everyone :)

I justgot some clarification from Dream. Unofficial transcripts need to be sent to the OT department (in addition to GAPE and OTCAS) for prerequisite classes that are completed after submitting the application. Hope that makes sense for anyone else who runs into this question! I think I'll stop bothering Dream with my incessant questions now! I've just heard so many nightmare stories of people's applications not being completed

I justgot some clarification from Dream. Unofficial transcripts need to be sent to the OT department (in addition to GAPE and OTCAS) for prerequisite classes that are completed after submitting the application. Hope that makes sense for anyone else who runs into this question! I think I'll stop bothering Dream with my incessant questions now! I've just heard so many nightmare stories of people's applications not being completed
Nice! I still have to take neuro (I'll only take it if I get accepted, as i've been accepted to other schools where I don't need it), and a skills class, so I'll have to send those in. She didn't happen to mention anything about sending out the first round, did she? :)

Nice! I still have to take neuro (I'll only take it if I get accepted, as i've been accepted to other schools where I don't need it), and a skills class, so I'll have to send those in. She didn't happen to mention anything about sending out the first round, did she? :)
I didn't ask, but I am guessing that they are going to send some out before Christmas break! I think that some of you will get a pretty great present for the holidays this year :)

Anyone else in agony? Already 5 days past the 1st acceptance letter received last year. :nailbiting:

Is anyone else stuck waiting to hear from SJSU and deciding to accept another offer of admissions or not? Ughhhhhh. SJSU is my number one but they are killing me right now :boom::boom:

Is anyone else stuck waiting to hear from SJSU and deciding to accept another offer of admissions or not? Ughhhhhh. SJSU is my number one but they are killing me right now :boom::boom:
Yes! I have pretty much accepted the fact that I'm going to go to Cal State Dominguez Hills if I don't hear from SJSU by xmas. CSUDH starts on Jan 11, so I have to make my decision very quickly (I'd need to move and everything in the next 2 weeks!). I was really hoping they'd get the first round of acceptances out this week. My app and everything was marked complete by SJSU on 9/29, so I know that *IF* I get accepted, it'll be in the first round. If I don't get a letter before xmas, I either won't be accepted, or would be waitlisted in March, and by then, i'd almost be a semester through the CSUDH program. Come onnnnnnnn SJSU! Send those letters!!

Reactions: 3 users
Could there be any possibility that they would release acceptances over the weekend?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could there be any possibility that they would release acceptances over the weekend?
Yes, of course. If they mailed them out yesterday (the OT department is closed on Fridays) you may get it in the mail tomorrow :)

Reactions: 1 user
I really wish they would just email decisions. It is easier and quicker. What if the mail gets lost? Or delayed? Or my neighbor gets it and is like, MEH WHATEVER and tosses it in the trash? There are a million possibilities, all of which are causing me anxiety haha! SJSU is my number one but I've been accepted to my #2 and I have to let them know 1st week of January. They're being SO RUDE hahaha

Second year here! I have heard we have gotten A LOT of applications this year so it is understandable that it is taking the department a little bit longer to sort through all of the applicants. I received my acceptance in mid/ late December so I'm sure some are being sent out now but some won't be sent out until Jan/Feb/March. Also, something to keep in mind is that the department is going through the ACOTE accreditation which only happens every 7 years so there is a lot of extra strain on the department right now. They are doing their very best and will get back to you as soon as they possibly can!! I know it is nerve wracking to wait but that's just how it is and this program is very competitive, plus not funded very well so the faculty are stretched pretty thin. Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 1 users
Second year here! I have heard we have gotten A LOT of applications this year so it is understandable that it is taking the department a little bit longer to sort through all of the applicants. I received my acceptance in mid/ late December so I'm sure some are being sent out now but some won't be sent out until Jan/Feb/March. Also, something to keep in mind is that the department is going through the ACOTE accreditation which only happens every 7 years so there is a lot of extra strain on the department right now. They are doing their very best and will get back to you as soon as they possibly can!! I know it is nerve wracking to wait but that's just how it is and this program is very competitive, plus not funded very well so the faculty are stretched pretty thin. Good luck to you all!

As an insider, thanks for shedding some light on our situation! How are you liking the program so far?

I really wish they would just email decisions. It is easier and quicker. What if the mail gets lost? Or delayed? Or my neighbor gets it and is like, MEH WHATEVER and tosses it in the trash? There are a million possibilities, all of which are causing me anxiety haha! SJSU is my number one but I've been accepted to my #2 and I have to let them know 1st week of January. They're being SO RUDE hahaha
Emailing decisions would put me at ease for sure. Mail is so sketchy these days, and I'm on such a tight timeline. Even if we got an email saying - first round of acceptances have gone out - I'd feel better. At least then I'd know to be expecting something in the mail, and if I didn't get anything, I didn't get in.

@EastBay0T Are you guys on winter break yet? Dream said first rounds were going to be sent mid-late Dec, so I'm sure the first round will go out before your winter break.

Emailing decisions would put me at ease for sure. Mail is so sketchy these days, and I'm on such a tight timeline. Even if we got an email saying - first round of acceptances have gone out - I'd feel better. At least then I'd know to be expecting something in the mail, and if I didn't get anything, I didn't get in.

@EastBay0T Are you guys on winter break yet? Dream said first rounds were going to be sent mid-late Dec, so I'm sure the first round will go out before your winter break.
Our break just started so I would assume some letters may have been sent out already, I think the 16th was the last day of finals.

As an insider, thanks for shedding some light on our situation! How are you liking the program so far?
It's my pleasure! I remember being in your shoes 2 years ago and frantically checking my email/ mailbox/ forums. Not sure if they are still doing it this way but I received a phone call before I received anything in the mail. I am really liking the program. It is not very well funded but that just allows us to be more creative and flexible which is a necessary skill to have! Our faculty are some of the best OTs out there and many have written or edited major OT textbooks. They really care about our success and it shows. We also are one of the only programs which has a clinic on campus for students to really practice their clinical skills (you will do this in your second year, either peds, phys dys, or psychosocial). Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about the program or process :)

Reactions: 2 users
It's my pleasure! I remember being in your shoes 2 years ago and frantically checking my email/ mailbox/ forums. Not sure if they are still doing it this way but I received a phone call before I received anything in the mail. I am really liking the program. It is not very well funded but that just allows us to be more creative and flexible which is a necessary skill to have! Our faculty are some of the best OTs out there and many have written or edited major OT textbooks. They really care about our success and it shows. We also are one of the only programs which has a clinic on campus for students to really practice their clinical skills (you will do this in your second year, either peds, phys dys, or psychosocial). Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about the program or process :)
Have you done your international experience yet? I'm curious about that part of the program -- it is probably one of the biggest pros for me, as not many programs allow study abroad. Also, how many days a week are you in class/clinical/fieldwork? I'm trying to figure out how many hours a week i'll be able to work if I miraculously get accepted to SJSU. :)

Have you done your international experience yet? I'm curious about that part of the program -- it is probably one of the biggest pros for me, as not many programs allow study abroad. Also, how many days a week are you in class/clinical/fieldwork? I'm trying to figure out how many hours a week i'll be able to work if I miraculously get accepted to SJSU. :)
I'm actually part of the last class in which the international experience was optional, and I opted not too for various reasons. I think it will be a great addition to your learning, about a dozen or so of my classmates went abroad this past summer and had great experiences! The summer of 2016 will be the first time students will be participating in the mandatory international experience.

The first year I had a 3 day a week schedule, although in the fall we had fieldwork level one (40 hours) and in the spring we had a community class (20 hours) so we did end up fulfilling hours on a non-school day (this is just what worked for me- other people managed to get all there hours in after school). We always have Fridays off so the first year I worked on Fridays and it's pretty common for students to work 5-15 hours a week. This past semester however I had a 4 day a week schedule (still Fridays off!).

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like if the school closed last friday... we would have our letters by now. Right? Especially if we live within 20 freakin minutes from the school. lol sorry I am just frustrated by the silence. Maybe it will arrive today.. but if they usually call people before they receive their letters, wouldn't we have already received a call?! uuughhhhhh sooooo maybe I should start looking at the first week of January. But I have to get back to my second choice school that same time. This really sucks. Come on SJSU!!

I feel like if the school closed last friday... we would have our letters by now. Right? Especially if we live within 20 freakin minutes from the school. lol sorry I am just frustrated by the silence. Maybe it will arrive today.. but if they usually call people before they receive their letters, wouldn't we have already received a call?! uuughhhhhh sooooo maybe I should start looking at the first week of January. But I have to get back to my second choice school that same time. This really sucks. Come on SJSU!!
Just the first round of acceptances go out "mid to late December".. no waitlists or rejections until march or april. At this point, i'm pretty much figuring I'll either get rejected or waitlisted. But you'd think that at least one out of all of us on here would get accepted! I'm pretty much moving ahead with the other school I was accepted to, assuming I'm going there. That program starts on January 11, so I can't wait around much longer for San Jose. :(
I just wish they'd tell us when they are sending out the first round. As far as I know, they did not call last year, it was only the class from a couple of years ago. Dream did email me back today.. I had asked her a question last week.. so maybe they're still working even though the students are on break.

Just the first round of acceptances go out "mid to late December".. no waitlists or rejections until march or april. At this point, i'm pretty much figuring I'll either get rejected or waitlisted. But you'd think that at least one out of all of us on here would get accepted! I'm pretty much moving ahead with the other school I was accepted to, assuming I'm going there. That program starts on January 11, so I can't wait around much longer for San Jose. :(
I just wish they'd tell us when they are sending out the first round. As far as I know, they did not call last year, it was only the class from a couple of years ago. Dream did email me back today.. I had asked her a question last week.. so maybe they're still working even though the students are on break.

Do you know if last year's accepted class received an email? Or were they notified via snail mail?

Hi all good luck on getting into sjsu! I'm a ot hopeful myself. .. hoping to apply next year 2016 to sjsu, csudh and Samuel merrit. I've just started my ot journey (pre reqs, shadowing) everything. ... Any advice you have for a Newby? shadowing experiences you suggest maybe a way you feel might make me a stronger applicant this late in the game? for those of you accepted to csudh what were your stats if you don't mind sharing. ... sorry for the long post. and happy holidays!

Hi all good luck on getting into sjsu! I'm a ot hopeful myself. .. hoping to apply next year 2016 to sjsu, csudh and Samuel merrit. I've just started my ot journey (pre reqs, shadowing) everything. ... Any advice you have for a Newby? shadowing experiences you suggest maybe a way you feel might make me a stronger applicant this late in the game? for those of you accepted to csudh what were your stats if you don't mind sharing. ... sorry for the long post. and happy holidays!
I started pretty late in the game as well. I decided to attempt to get into OT school in May, and applied by October. I really think that the personal essays and the Letters of Recommendation hold the most weight, because I know a lot of people with more hours and better stats than me who didn't get accepted to CSUDH. Also, try to volunteer in a few different settings, and make sure that you have other volunteering experience (outside of OT). Good luck!
Here are my stats:

University: University of Kansas (undergrad), University of Phoenix (MBA)
Major: Business Marketing
Actual Undergraduate GPA: 3.75
OTCAS GPA: 3.66 (not sure how this is calculated)
Last 60 credit GPA: 3.94
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8-3.95 (depends on the school)
GRE: V-154 Q-156 AW-4.0

Volunteer (OT): 96 hours with the outpatient center for the county hospital. 20 hours with an elementary school/autism room

Other Volunteer: Elementary school reading with kids, day care center, tutoring in college

Letters of Rec: 2 from OTs, 1 from a past manager, 1 from the student I tutored in grad school

Applied: CSU Dominguez Hills, San Jose State U, Samuel Merritt, Midwestern, University of Minnesota, St. Catherine's, UW Milwaukee,

Submitted: 9/27
Verified: 10/12

Acceptances: CSU Dominguez Hills (10/26/15)
Interviews: Midwestern (invited on 10/27 - I declined), Samuel Merritt (invited for 12/5 - I declined)
Rejections: TBD

Awesome stats! thank you so much for sharing I love the diversity in your experience and letter writers! And my gpa is barely a 3.5 I hope OTCAS doesn't butcher mine too much yours was great either way. Dominguez Hills is my second choice after sjsu only because I live close to the bay. ... one last weird question but where did you get your cadaver experience for sjsu? congrats on csudh! even though it seems like sjsu would be lucky to have you!

I honestly do not think that they have sent out any letters. They are probably just running behind this year bc of the high volume of applications this year. I think that if they sent any out at least one of us would have heard back! Don't lose hope, everyone! Enjoy your holidays :)

Awesome stats! thank you so much for sharing I love the diversity in your experience and letter writers! And my gpa is barely a 3.5 I hope OTCAS doesn't butcher mine too much yours was great either way. Dominguez Hills is my second choice after sjsu only because I live close to the bay. ... one last weird question but where did you get your cadaver experience for sjsu? congrats on csudh! even though it seems like sjsu would be lucky to have you!
Thank you! At the SJSU advising session they basically said, stats don't matter as long as you meet the minimums. I think a lot of schools feel that way, so I definitely wouldn't worry about a 3.5 gpa- it is still great. I think most schools tend to look at your pre req gpa and your last 60 credits (a lot of students have crappy freshman years that bring gpas down). I actually took anatomy and physiology 1 and 2 online through university of Phoenix. They have a virtual cadaver for both classes - the head of the OT dept at SJSU said online cadavers work! Otherwise I saw somewhere in these forums that you can just put in hours with a cadaver somewhere near SJSU. I'm just not big into cutting into dead bodies or formaldehyde if it's not 100% necessary :-/ so I took the online option!

Awe thank you! i had a pretty rough 1.5 years of college but my last 60 are definitely much better. I'm happy to hear that it won't make or break my application. I was literally just looking into UOP for A&p I just emailed them a few days ago asking about a cadaver portion too funny they never got back to me. so thank you for clarifying! ; How was the class? I'm VERY scared of taking A&P online. Did you like it? Was it easy or horrible? I'm trying to get good grades in the pre reqs to make up for my lackluster gpa lol

Awe thank you! i had a pretty rough 1.5 years of college but my last 60 are definitely much better. I'm happy to hear that it won't make or break my application. I was literally just looking into UOP for A&p I just emailed them a few days ago asking about a cadaver portion too funny they never got back to me. so thank you for clarifying! ; How was the class? I'm VERY scared of taking A&P online. Did you like it? Was it easy or horrible? I'm trying to get good grades in the pre reqs to make up for my lackluster gpa lol
I liked it a lot because you can learn whenever you want - you don't have to sit in class for a specified amount of time. There is quite a bit of work required - I was working on homework/quizzes/discussion questions 3 hours a night every night, but the classes are a lot shorter than semesters (7 weeks I think?). I loved being able to knock it out quickly because I didn't really have much time, and I couldn't just stop working to take a full time class load for a semester. It is a lot more expensive than a community college or public school, but the benefits outweighed the cost for me. The labs are all really cool because it is all virtual. You do everything you'd normally do in a classroom. I also, personally, liked the combo anat and phys. Instead of taking 1 anatomy class and memorizing everything, and then taking phys and learning how it all works, it is combined, so it makes a lot of sense. You learn the anatomy of the heart, and then the same lesson, you're learning exactly how all of the structures interact in the heart. Message me if you end up taking it - I think I still have my notes from A&P2 that could be helpful!

I liked it a lot because you can learn whenever you want - you don't have to sit in class for a specified amount of time. There is quite a bit of work required - I was working on homework/quizzes/discussion questions 3 hours a night every night, but the classes are a lot shorter than semesters (7 weeks I think?). I loved being able to knock it out quickly because I didn't really have much time, and I couldn't just stop working to take a full time class load for a semester. It is a lot more expensive than a community college or public school, but the benefits outweighed the cost for me. The labs are all really cool because it is all virtual. You do everything you'd normally do in a classroom. I also, personally, liked the combo anat and phys. Instead of taking 1 anatomy class and memorizing everything, and then taking phys and learning how it all works, it is combined, so it makes a lot of sense. You learn the anatomy of the heart, and then the same lesson, you're learning exactly how all of the structures interact in the heart. Message me if you end up taking it - I think I still have my notes from A&P2 that could be helpful!

Aww thank you for the detailed description! I feel the same way like I'd rather knock it out quick and put it behind me instead of taking a full year to complete the 2 courses ..while uop is very expensive :(...i seriously am leaning that way just because of the convenience and virtual cadaver component. I'm wait listed for a class at a cc right now , instead & of stressing and hoping to get in and sitting in traffic to get to class everyday if i do get in, I'd rather pay uop at this point. and thanks so much for your responses you've been very kind! if i take it i will definitely message you! classes start in January so I need to hurry up and decide. Thanks again! Happy Holidays!

I was emailing Dream about my application and she said that they would start sending out acceptances in mid January

I was emailing Dream about my application and she said that they would start sending out acceptances in mid January
Oh wow! Alright - well at least now I know that I won't be going there :( Thanks for that update! That is very helpful!

Hi guys, just checking out the thread and remembered how much help I got from this forum when I was applying. I'm not sure how much help I can be now since I applied for the 2011 cycle but feel free to inbox me or post here. Some background on me: I graduated from SJSU in 2013, have been working in the East Bay in Acute Psych full time and doing Phys Dys per diem, just passed my first Level II OT Intern. I understand some things have changed since I applied, but during my cycle they did rolling admissions and people were being admitted 1 day after they started taking applications all the way up until February, you were supposed to accept your seat by Mid April. No OTCAS my year, and the c/o 2015 are the first class under the changed curriculum. We get Samuel Merritt, Dominican, and SJSU students to observe my setting all of the time so I could always ask if I see them too.

If there are any current students on the thread can you tell us if the department is normally this slow and disorganized? If we get in should we expect some disorganization or is the delay in sending out acceptances atypical?
I'm getting pretty frustrated with waiting and hoping they send out letters before I have to commit to another school.

If there are any current students on the thread can you tell us if the department is normally this slow and disorganized? If we get in should we expect some disorganization or is the delay in sending out acceptances atypical?
I'm getting pretty frustrated with waiting and hoping they send out letters before I have to commit to another school.

I was just on the website and the way it looks, the only thing that has changed in recent years is that they started using OTCAS as part of their application process. That means they have been admitting on a rolling basis since October 1st. The department reviews applications throughout the application cycle and will offer seats to applications that they feel are very strong soon after they receive them. All other applications, even ones that are considered strong are put aside at times as they know very strong applications come throughout the cycle, I'm sure they like to fill the class to a certain extent at each point in the cycle. When the end of the cycle comes and they have an idea of how many acceptances turn down their seat, then they send out acceptances to the applications that are strongest of those remaining. People in the cohorts above me, below me, and my own cohort all had different wait times, some people waited the whole cycle, some heard back a week later, I heard back a week later after submitting my application in late January.

You have to remember, SJSU is a public school and the CSU system is always strapped for cash, staffing is adequate, but tight. They are not disorganized, they are quite a distinguished faculty compared to schools with limitless funding. No one is in the department right now for the holidays, they probably won't be back until mid January. I can also tell you that I believe I was the only one in my cohort who I know of who was on this forum looking for answers and I was not on this board at all while I was in the program. Should you expect some disorganization if you got in? I'm sure we can all find something to complain about if we really try.

Happy New Year everyone!

I was just on the website and the way it looks, the only thing that has changed in recent years is that they started using OTCAS as part of their application process. That means they have been admitting on a rolling basis since October 1st. The department reviews applications throughout the application cycle and will offer seats to applications that they feel are very strong soon after they receive them. All other applications, even ones that are considered strong are put aside at times as they know very strong applications come throughout the cycle, I'm sure they like to fill the class to a certain extent at each point in the cycle. When the end of the cycle comes and they have an idea of how many acceptances turn down their seat, then they send out acceptances to the applications that are strongest of those remaining. People in the cohorts above me, below me, and my own cohort all had different wait times, some people waited the whole cycle, some heard back a week later, I heard back a week later after submitting my application in late January.

You have to remember, SJSU is a public school and the CSU system is always strapped for cash, staffing is adequate, but tight. They are not disorganized, they are quite a distinguished faculty compared to schools with limitless funding. No one is in the department right now for the holidays, they probably won't be back until mid January. I can also tell you that I believe I was the only one in my cohort who I know of who was on this forum looking for answers and I was not on this board at all while I was in the program. Should you expect some disorganization if you got in? I'm sure we can all find something to complain about if we really try.

Happy New Year everyone!
Thanks for your input. The one thing that has made this year really hard is they haven't sent out any acceptances that anyone has heard about. The process is pretty opaque from our point of view and that gets frustrating.

Happy New Year everyone!

Exactly - as @paxanna said, they haven't sent out any acceptances yet. Their original estimated date for *just* the first round of acceptances, was mid December. The latest we've heard is that they aren't even going to *start* sending acceptances out until mid January. So, for those of us who got our OTCAS, university app, and the OT department application packet in on or before the Oct 1 opening date, it has been a long wait! I would have been a lot more understanding had they said.. we aren't sending out the first round until January.. but the advising session made it seem like they were going to start accepting mid october.. and then they told us mid december.. and its January and no acceptances have gone out. I totally understand that they're going through the accred process, and that a ton more people have applied this year, but it's just tough waiting! Also, a lot of us were hoping acceptances would go out earlier so that we'd know if we were/were not accepted before we had to lock in a different program. Unfortunately, I think SJSU loses a LOT of people to CSUDH because of the deadlines. Seems like they tend to accept similar applicants, but a lot of people end up going to CSUDH because SJSU waits so long to send their acceptances (and CSU starts in January). Anyway - just my two cents! I wish you all GOOD LUCK and I hope you hear from SJSU soon!I'm all set and ready to start with CSUDH, so if I'm accepted to SJSU, I'll have to decline.
Happy New Year! May we all be OTs in a couple years. :)

Exactly - as @paxanna said, they haven't sent out any acceptances yet. Their original estimated date for *just* the first round of acceptances, was mid December. The latest we've heard is that they aren't even going to *start* sending acceptances out until mid January. So, for those of us who got our OTCAS, university app, and the OT department application packet in on or before the Oct 1 opening date, it has been a long wait! I would have been a lot more understanding had they said.. we aren't sending out the first round until January.. but the advising session made it seem like they were going to start accepting mid october.. and then they told us mid december.. and its January and no acceptances have gone out. I totally understand that they're going through the accred process, and that a ton more people have applied this year, but it's just tough waiting! Also, a lot of us were hoping acceptances would go out earlier so that we'd know if we were/were not accepted before we had to lock in a different program. Unfortunately, I think SJSU loses a LOT of people to CSUDH because of the deadlines. Seems like they tend to accept similar applicants, but a lot of people end up going to CSUDH because SJSU waits so long to send their acceptances (and CSU starts in January). Anyway - just my two cents! I wish you all GOOD LUCK and I hope you hear from SJSU soon!I'm all set and ready to start with CSUDH, so if I'm accepted to SJSU, I'll have to decline.
Happy New Year! May we all be OTs in a couple years. :)

You know for the most part, SJSU's application deadlines are in line with other OT programs that start in Fall semesters. If applicants also happened to apply to a program like CSUDH who starts in the Spring, of course CSUDH will admit you first, they are just on a different schedule, other schools cannot base their process on what individual applicants do, but I do agree it is frustrating if you are in that situation. I emailed the last department chair regarding how the admissions process may have changed since OTCAS was implemented and will relay the answer. Regarding losing people to CSUDH because of what you think is happening, I never got that impression, nobody in my cohort even applied to CSUDH, most were locals who applied to the 3 Bay Area schools. CSUDH is just on a different schedule and most CSUDH students will practice in SoCal while most SJSU students will practice in NorCal. SJSU does not have a history of waiting so long to send out their acceptances, most of my classmates were admitted before Christmas and no one here can be certain that people are not already admitted this year. Since you are already slated to start at CSUDH, no more need to stress about it, good luck with everything.

Maybe most of the SJSU hopefuls don't go to CSUDH but they sure do go somewhere else. I've received 4 other acceptances with accept/decline deadlines coming up before SJSU is supposed to send out acceptances. It is frustrating. Especially when you're told it is rolling admissions, and you apply in october.. and do everything right! waaahh! hahaha. I agree w/WannabeOTinCA, I would be less upset about all this if they kept us updated. I emailed them, went to on campus sessions, even met with Dr.Smith and talked about all of this. Everytime they said December. So yeah.. we're just airing our grievances :) I still want to go to SJSU but I have to send in my deposit to another school by next week so.. yeah, really sucks! Crossing my fingers, still waiting! Hoping by some magical force they send out acceptance starting monday. But what are the chances of that?? I wonder if they have even met to make the decisions...?? Where is everyone else thinking about going? I have to send in my deposit to Midwestern but also just got accepted to Rush University. And to Jefferson and Salus.

:shrug::thinking:

You know for the most part, SJSU's application deadlines are in line with other OT programs that start in Fall semesters. If applicants also happened to apply to a program like CSUDH who starts in the Spring, of course CSUDH will admit you first, they are just on a different schedule, other schools cannot base their process on what individual applicants do, but I do agree it is frustrating if you are in that situation. I emailed the last department chair regarding how the admissions process may have changed since OTCAS was implemented and will relay the answer. Regarding losing people to CSUDH because of what you think is happening, I never got that impression, nobody in my cohort even applied to CSUDH, most were locals who applied to the 3 Bay Area schools. CSUDH is just on a different schedule and most CSUDH students will practice in SoCal while most SJSU students will practice in NorCal. SJSU does not have a history of waiting so long to send out their acceptances, most of my classmates were admitted before Christmas and no one here can be certain that people are not already admitted this year. Since you are already slated to start at CSUDH, no more need to stress about it, good luck with everything.

Maybe most of the SJSU hopefuls don't go to CSUDH but they sure do go somewhere else. I've received 4 other acceptances with accept/decline deadlines coming up before SJSU is supposed to send out acceptances. It is frustrating. Especially when you're told it is rolling admissions, and you apply in october.. and do everything right! waaahh! hahaha. I agree w/WannabeOTinCA, I would be less upset about all this if they kept us updated. I emailed them, went to on campus sessions, even met with Dr.Smith and talked about all of this. Everytime they said December. So yeah.. we're just airing our grievances :) I still want to go to SJSU but I have to send in my deposit to another school by next week so.. yeah, really sucks! Crossing my fingers, still waiting! Hoping by some magical force they send out acceptance starting monday. But what are the chances of that?? I wonder if they have even met to make the decisions...?? Where is everyone else thinking about going? I have to send in my deposit to Midwestern but also just got accepted to Rush University. And to Jefferson and Salus.

:shrug::thinking:

I don't disagree that the process can be frustrating, we all have to make decisions and do what is best for us. I don't think anyone will be back in that office until a few days before the semester starts, so I would say chances are slim as far as hearing about it next week. I heard back from my past professor via email and she pretty much said that they are still rolling admissions and in general that if the allotted amount of applications are in with all of the materials and their admissions are complete that it is entirely possible that the class could have been almost filled in October, but she believes there are still some seats available as late as February, she isn't directly involved in the process as of now but she is a former department chair. One of my classmates was slated to attend UW for OT schools, but someone failed Neuro that summer before the start of the program and she filled the seat. When those who were accepted turn down their admissions, it opens it up for other applications to be accepted, unfortunately that could mean hearing from SJSU at different times during the cycle, and then of course rejections come last when all the seats have been filled and accepted. I haven't read all of the posts, but I'm guessing no one here is saying they were admitted yet for this cycle.

I don't disagree that the process can be frustrating, we all have to make decisions and do what is best for us. I don't think anyone will be back in that office until a few days before the semester starts, so I would say chances are slim as far as hearing about it next week. I heard back from my past professor via email and she pretty much said that they are still rolling admissions and in general that if the allotted amount of applications are in with all of the materials and their admissions are complete that it is entirely possible that the class could have been almost filled in October, but she believes there are still some seats available as late as February, she isn't directly involved in the process as of now but she is a former department chair. One of my classmates was slated to attend UW for OT schools, but someone failed Neuro that summer before the start of the program and she filled the seat. When those who were accepted turn down their admissions, it opens it up for other applications to be accepted, unfortunately that could mean hearing from SJSU at different times during the cycle, and then of course rejections come last when all the seats have been filled and accepted. I haven't read all of the posts, but I'm guessing no one here is saying they were admitted yet for this cycle.

Thanks for posting back. It seems that no one on this forum has heard from SJSU as of yet. I would think that if admissions were sent out starting in October, there would have been at least one mention of someone getting in by now. Out of curiosity, when does your spring semester start?

Also, does anyone know how to add classes on OTCAS that will be taken in, say, Spring 2016 (aka, that begin as the end of this month)?

For example: if we are accepted to SJSU's program, how do we update our OTCAS coursework to indicate that we now plan to take a 3D skills course at the same college where our other prerequisite courses were taken and subsequently verified already by OTCAS?

Also, does anyone know how to add classes on OTCAS that will be taken in, say, Spring 2016 (aka, that begin as the end of this month)?

For example: if we are accepted to SJSU's program, how do we update our OTCAS coursework to indicate that we now plan to take a 3D skills course at the same college where our other prerequisite courses were taken and subsequently verified already by OTCAS?

Go to transcript entry, and edit the school to which you're adding the planned/in progess course. You will see two blue edit pencils. Click the *top* one first. This messed me up for like.. 4 days seriously. I finally called about it today. Then you can edit courses you finished and add in new courses.

You may have to play around with it, I updated a final grade and then added in a planned course. Once you get to the area you can edit, its easy.

Go to transcript entry, and edit the school to which you're adding the planned/in progess course. You will see two blue edit pencils. Click the *top* one first. This messed me up for like.. 4 days seriously. I finally called about it today. Then you can edit courses you finished and add in new courses.

You may have to play around with it, I updated a final grade and then added in a planned course. Once you get to the area you can edit, its easy.

Thank you for getting back to me. This is really annoying lol. For some reason, I have a bunch of red lock icons all over the place when I try to edit courses. My transcripts were OTCAS verified back in November, so I'm not sure what's going on. I'll make sure to give them a call tomorrow (Jan. 5) and try to figure this out. I just want to add a damn class... argh. :bored:

Thanks again

Edit: I called just now. They had it locked. Apologized. Unlocked it. Now I can edit my classes!

Edit Edit: Does anyone know if we need to update our grades on OTCAS at the end of spring semester?

Last edited: