Program-Specific Info / Q's San Jose State MSOT Fall 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally heard back from Dream. She said I should be hearing back by feb. Whatever thats fine I guess hahaha. I just had my interview at Rush and it was an awesome place but if i hear back from SJSU by feb I'll still be able to make a good decision! yaaayy. I hope that bit of an update helps us all cope :|
When did you email Dream? I asked her a question on Thursday and haven't heard back yet...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally heard back from Dream. She said I should be hearing back by feb. Whatever thats fine I guess hahaha. I just had my interview at Rush and it was an awesome place but if i hear back from SJSU by feb I'll still be able to make a good decision! yaaayy. I hope that bit of an update helps us all cope :|
Thanks for the update! When did you submit your application?

Thanks for the update! When did you submit your application?

Submited 10/15. I'll let everyone know if I get any more updates and you all please do the same. We're in this together ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Hello All,

Just wanted to let you guys know SJSU is still sending out acceptances. I received an email from Dr. Smith on Monday. She said I will receive my official letter by mail very soon and more info to come once the faculty returns from the break.
I was complete with OTCAS and submitted all docs on Sept. 19th. This was my second year applying although I was pretty short on pre-reqs and volunteer hours last application cycle.
Good luck to everyone and I'm looking forward to meeting the 2016 cohort!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so so so much @kmoo for updating us and giving us a timeline of when you submitted everything for SJSU!

I was wondering if you could shed some insight on the reapplication process for SJSU? I definitely want to reapply this fall if I don't get in the first time around.

Hello All,

Just wanted to let you guys know SJSU is still sending out acceptances. I received an email from Dr. Smith on Monday. She said I will receive my official letter by mail very soon and more info to come once the faculty returns from the break.
I was complete with OTCAS and submitted all docs on Sept. 19th. This was my second year applying although I was pretty short on pre-reqs and volunteer hours last application cycle.
Good luck to everyone and I'm looking forward to meeting the 2016 cohort!

Wooo!!!! CONGRATS! Would you mind sharing your stats with us?

Reactions: 1 users
It was very simple (other than dealing with OTCAS, but that is a different story). I attended the information session in August at SJSU and Dr. Smith let us know to see Dream after the meeting so she could take the names down of those of us who were re-applying. Dream then reviewed our application packets from the previous cycles with Dr. Smith to identify any needs, new transcripts or service hour documentation we wanted to submit. We stayed in touch via email to discuss my changes and Dream was absolutely wonderful, responsive and thorough. I had a new academic letter of recommendation and an update to my volunteer hours. I also reworked my personal statement since I knew I had been rushed to get it in last cycle and it definitely wasn't my best (I submitted pretty late trying to get in some OT hours).

I went through OTCAS to submit my new LOR and I updated my recently completed Anatomy course and Physiology course in progress. Since OTCAS requires you to have 3 LOR in order to submit, I just entered my previous reference's email addresses and contacted them to let them know they would receive an email request form OTCAS but that they could ignore it!
Ultimately, Dr. Smith and Dream told me that I didn't have to re-apply through OTCAS since they had everything from last year. Hopefully that will be the case for anyone re-applying next year. I had already re-applied through OTCAS because I didn't want to wait to hear back from them while Dr. Smith was out. I didn't want to chance I wouldn't get verified before Oct. 1! As it turned out, this year, they decided to go by your completed date rather than your verified date. OTCAS changed their format from the previous cycle and we all had to repeat the ENTIRE process. You will not have to deal with that, thank goodness. Bottom line...just get in touch with the department EARLY to work out what they want from you.

BTW...I still have to complete Neuroanatomy and Cultural Anthroplogy. And... complete 10 OT volunteer hours. My acceptance was conditional. Just wanted to throw that in there for any who might be concerned that they don't have enough volunteer hours. ;)

It was very simple (other than dealing with OTCAS, but that is a different story). I attended the information session in August at SJSU and Dr. Smith let us know to see Dream after the meeting so she could take the names down of those of us who were re-applying. Dream then reviewed our application packets from the previous cycles with Dr. Smith to identify any needs, new transcripts or service hour documentation we wanted to submit. We stayed in touch via email to discuss my changes and Dream was absolutely wonderful, responsive and thorough. I had a new academic letter of recommendation and an update to my volunteer hours. I also reworked my personal statement since I knew I had been rushed to get it in last cycle and it definitely wasn't my best (I submitted pretty late trying to get in some OT hours).

I went through OTCAS to submit my new LOR and I updated my recently completed Anatomy course and Physiology course in progress. Since OTCAS requires you to have 3 LOR in order to submit, I just entered my previous reference's email addresses and contacted them to let them know they would receive an email request form OTCAS but that they could ignore it!
Ultimately, Dr. Smith and Dream told me that I didn't have to re-apply through OTCAS since they had everything from last year. Hopefully that will be the case for anyone re-applying next year. I had already re-applied through OTCAS because I didn't want to wait to hear back from them while Dr. Smith was out. I didn't want to chance I wouldn't get verified before Oct. 1! As it turned out, this year, they decided to go by your completed date rather than your verified date. OTCAS changed their format from the previous cycle and we all had to repeat the ENTIRE process. You will not have to deal with that, thank goodness. Bottom line...just get in touch with the department EARLY to work out what they want from you.

BTW...I still have to complete Neuroanatomy and Cultural Anthroplogy. And... complete 10 OT volunteer hours. My acceptance was conditional. Just wanted to throw that in there for any who might be concerned that they don't have enough volunteer hours. ;)

This information was so helpful!! Thank you so much for sharing. I didn't know that SJSU was so accommodating to those who are re-applying. It's very encouraging!

Wooo!!!! CONGRATS! Would you mind sharing your stats with us?

No problem...

Pre- Reqs: 3.8 gpa
Last 60 hrs: 3.9
Undergraduate: double major Psychology/Criminal Justice
Since my undergraduate degree was complete quite some time ago, I took the MAT cold and barely got the minimum; 414
Service hours: 50 completed in V.A. Palo Alto Poly-Trauma Unit / over 300 hours in a crisis pregnancy center.
Complete application date was Sept. 19.

Still need Neuroanatomy, Cultural Anthroplogy pre-reqs.

I have no experience employed in the medical field other than working as an emergency room clerk for 2 yrs 25 yrs. ago.

Last edited:
Congratulations @BB69&73 ! Is SJSU your top choice?

Anyone know if we can get in with volunteer hours in progress? I only had 50 hours under an OT and 200 under a community service supervisor when I applied and I know that SJSU wants 60 hours with an OT at the very least.
I had 50 OT hours as well and was just accepted. Big surprise to me! There is hope :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they are accepting 60 or 80 students this year? And what day is the OT committee returning from their break?

Does anyone know if they are accepting 60 or 80 students this year? And what day is the OT committee returning from their break?
The 2016 cohort will be a class of 60. I believe they may be returning on the 28th of January. That is only based on Dream's voice message with her date of return.

The 2016 cohort will be a class of 60. I believe they may be returning on the 28th of January. That is only based on Dream's voice message with her date of return.
Thank you :) Wow, that makes it way more competitive.

Thank you :) Wow, that makes it way more competitive.
A classmate of mine who is also applying said she was told by the department that there were over 600 applicants before the holiday break. Crazy. It may be a slow process of sending out the acceptances.

Congrats on your acceptance! :) The department is out of the office until January 28th?

Congrats on your acceptance! :) The department is out of the office until January 28th?
Thank you! I'm so very grateful to get in. We have four kids in high school (3 this fall) so it's the only program I applied to since it's close to home. Good luck to you and I hope the letters start coming in soon!

I only know that Dream's VM message stated this date as when she would return. In her email to me this week, Dr. Smith said I'd receive more info once the staff was back from their break but she didn't mention a specific date.

Thank you! I'm so very grateful to get in. We have four kids in high school (3 this fall) so it's the only program I applied to since it's close to home. Good luck to you and I hope the letters start coming in soon!

I only know that Dream's VM message stated this date as when she would return. In her email to me this week, Dr. Smith said I'd receive more info once the staff was back from their break but she didn't mention a specific date.
Thank you that's so helpful! I'm really excited for letters to start arriving, so hopefully it is soon!

Hi! I have my application ready for SJSU, but my GRE verbal score is one point below the minimum requirement. I was wondering would it be worth it for me to submit my application anyways.. and how likely it is for SJSU to make an exception to the verbal score. I know they also have a lot of applicants this year so I don't know if I should even try. Thank you for your input!

Hi! I have my application ready for SJSU, but my GRE verbal score is one point below the minimum requirement. I was wondering would it be worth it for me to submit my application anyways.. and how likely it is for SJSU to make an exception to the verbal score. I know they also have a lot of applicants this year so I don't know if I should even try. Thank you for your input!

I would say it's worth applying and hoping for the best. If the other parts of your application are strong they might overlook your verbal score (though that's just speculation). Good luck!

I spoke to someone at SJSU this morning. She said that the OT department is out of the office until next week and that they were only able to get a few acceptance letters out before going on break. She said that they will get more of the acceptances as well as waitlists and denials out in the next few weeks, so we should hopefully all hear soon! Good luck everyone, we are almost there! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Dream said that we can take neuroanatomy (not physiology) online through the ucla extension in the spring. Registration starts in February and classes begin at the end of March :)
I tried finding the UCLA class online to get info on signing up, but can't find it. Anyone else able to find it?

I tried finding the UCLA class online to get info on signing up, but can't find it. Anyone else able to find it?
Enrollment begins on February 1st. It doesn't look like they've posted info on the class yet

Does anyone know how hard it is to get into SJSU's neuroanatomy course which opens in April?

Does anyone know how hard it is to get into SJSU's neuroanatomy course which opens in April?
It's not hard. I would sign up early and since it's an online class they aren't super restricted on how many students are enrolled (if I remember correctly there was a wait list when I enrolled and everyone was added no problem).

I spoke to someone at SJSU this morning. She said that the OT department is out of the office until next week and that they were only able to get a few acceptance letters out before going on break. She said that they will get more of the acceptances as well as waitlists and denials out in the next few weeks, so we should hopefully all hear soon! Good luck everyone, we are almost there! :)

I am still not getting email responses from Dream. Has she responded to anyone recently?

I am still not getting email responses from Dream. Has she responded to anyone recently?
Yesterday she responded to an email I sent on January 14th

Yesterday she responded to an email I sent on January 14th

Thanks for letting me know, appreciate it. I'm confused why everything is put on just one person, especially a student. Seems like there would be more people who could help with the application/admission process. Very Concerning.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for letting me know, appreciate it. I'm confused why everything is put on just one person, especially a student. Seems like there would be more people who could help with the application/admission process. Very Concerning.

Yeah I think its kinda weird that all this falls on one second year student. Also, I live in the area and I've talked with at least 5 people who have had problems with SJSU administration constantly. So I guess we know what we can expect if we go to SJSU... I know the OT department is great but... this is not a good look. I've been told 4 different times to expect a admissions response and every time they did not stick to that date. It is frustrating and concerning :-/

To add fuel to the fire, I have a friend who was admitted into various competitive OT programs last cycle and never heard back from SJSU after applying. Turns out they lost her freaking application in the process and found it 2 months after the program started.

To add fuel to the fire, I have a friend who was admitted into various competitive OT programs last cycle and never heard back from SJSU after applying. Turns out they lost her freaking application in the process and found it 2 months after the program started.

Omg! What a nightmare... it's one thing to not be admitted but it's another thing to not even be considered! Sounds like she did just fine though :)

I just got a response from Dream to an email I sent January 17th. She said she just returned from winter break. She also said they are "sending out decision letters any time between now through April." So, some of us might be waiting a few more months! Ugg. I submitted my application October 1st so it's been a loooong wait already :(

My email to her was about whether they wanted my Fall 2015 Anatomy grade, and she said to mail them an unofficial transcript to update my file.

I'm surprised we're not hearing about more acceptances :rolleyes:

Im in shock it is taking so long

Bring this thread from the grave (well it feels that way..). Anyone hear anything? Nah? Neither have I. This is.. this is just kinda unheard of. For rolling admissions. I am getting nervous because I've been turning down other acceptances, crossing my fingers for SJSU. But we may not hear until April?

I hope someone out there has heard something.. anything!! Share with us all! Give us all some hope that there is something happening within the SJSU OT department.. give us a glimmer of hope!!

Bring this thread from the grave (well it feels that way..). Anyone hear anything? Nah? Neither have I. This is.. this is just kinda unheard of. For rolling admissions. I am getting nervous because I've been turning down other acceptances, crossing my fingers for SJSU. But we may not hear until April?

I hope someone out there has heard something.. anything!! Share with us all! Give us all some hope that there is something happening within the SJSU OT department.. give us a glimmer of hope!!
As of last week Dream told me that I will hear back between now and mid-April. My application (which was complete on October 1st) is still under review. I am going crazy with waiting!

As of last week Dream told me that I will hear back between now and mid-April. My application (which was complete on October 1st) is still under review. I am going crazy with waiting!

oh my god. THAT IS SO LONG TO WAIT!!! I've been told I would hear back by early december, then I was told early January. Then she told me by the beginning of febuary. I am just going to assume I won't hear back until april so then if I hear back before it would be a lovely surprise.

All this just makes me curious about what is going on in the OT department. And if this is a place I actually wanna be.

Okay I do wanna be there, no matter what!! hahaha it is SOOOOO afforable and I've shadowed multiple SJSU OT Grads and they are awesome therapist... but.. this process is really the worst.

I wish it was as easy as going to the OT office and glaring at someone until they decided on my application because I would so do that!

San Jose is not the best at timelines especially for rejections. I didn't get mine until April last year which was super stressful. I didn't get anything officially in the mail for my acceptance until last week (they emailed me about it in Jan), and even that didn't have any dates or info about deposits. So I think its going to take a while to hear things :( I've found that most State schools have a similar issue (only 1 grad student handling admissions). I think thats the sacrifice for the cheap tuition. If you get accepted though they answer emails a lot faster (within one to two days). I would ask schools about extending your deadline to say yes though i've found that they are usually pretty accommodating. I understand the frustration though.

San Jose is not the best at timelines especially for rejections. I didn't get mine until April last year which was super stressful. I didn't get anything officially in the mail for my acceptance until last week (they emailed me about it in Jan), and even that didn't have any dates or info about deposits. So I think its going to take a while to hear things :( I've found that most State schools have a similar issue (only 1 grad student handling admissions). I think thats the sacrifice for the cheap tuition. If you get accepted though they answer emails a lot faster (within one to two days). I would ask schools about extending your deadline to say yes though i've found that they are usually pretty accommodating. I understand the frustration though.

May I ask when you submitted your application for this cycle?

Turning down other acceptances?!?! I don't know if I would do that because things are so unpredictable. I agree that asking for an extension is probably the best option... if the other schools are willing to wait.

Does anyone know how they weigh different aspects of the application. So far it doesn't seem like hours or having all the prerequisites are too significant. I've heard that the GRE is not important as long as the minimum is met. So this leads me to believe they are completely going off GPA? What do you guys think? Do we know if it's just undergraduate GPA or if they combine graduate GPA into the equation (I have a previous Master's)? I'm just trying to get a realistic idea of my chances because I've just about given up all hope :sorry:

Turning down other acceptances?!?! I don't know if I would do that because things are so unpredictable. I agree that asking for an extension is probably the best option... if the other schools are willing to wait.

Does anyone know how they weigh different aspects of the application. So far it doesn't seem like hours or having all the prerequisites are too significant. I've heard that the GRE is not important as long as the minimum is met. So this leads me to believe they are completely going off GPA? What do you guys think? Do we know if it's just undergraduate GPA or if they combine graduate GPA into the equation (I have a previous Master's)? I'm just trying to get a realistic idea of my chances because I've just about given up all hope :sorry:
Hmm I think they only consider your last 60 units. No matter if those are lower division courses completed at a community college or units for your Master's degree. At an info session I attended, Dr. Smith said that a competitive GPA is at least a 3.4.

Hmm I think they only consider your last 60 units. No matter if those are lower division courses completed at a community college or units for your Master's degree. At an info session I attended, Dr. Smith said that a competitive GPA is at least a 3.4.

Thanks @othopeful92 that's good to know! I appreciate the info :) Let's me get a better idea of where I stand.

I think that the program is just really delayed this year due to the high number
Is this in the last 60 units or overall GPA?

Hey everyone,

Just weighing in here since I'm still following. I know of several acceptances that have been sent out (none of which who follow these forums). I'd say definitely accept at other schools, as it seems that the SJSU program is pretty full. Unless they are saving a random couple of spots, they likely filled most of the spots back in December when they sent out first acceptances. 700+ people fighting for 60 spots is pretty crazy, so I wish you all the best!

Hey everyone,

Just weighing in here since I'm still following. I know of several acceptances that have been sent out (none of which who follow these forums). I'd say definitely accept at other schools, as it seems that the SJSU program is pretty full. Unless they are saving a random couple of spots, they likely filled most of the spots back in December when they sent out first acceptances. 700+ people fighting for 60 spots is pretty crazy, so I wish you all the best!
Was it the first time applying for the people you know that got in? I called the department in mid-January (while they were still on break) and the woman who answered said that the department was only able to get "a few" acceptances out in December before leaving on break and would be sending out the majority of acceptances out after returning from break. This is only the second full week that they department has been back from break, so I wouldn't be surprised if they sent out acceptances either this week or in the next few weeks. This application cycle seems very delayed relative to years past. I think it is smart for applicants to secure their spots at other schools given the competitive nature of SJSU's program, but I don't think we should all lose hope quite yet!