saturated market>?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amherstguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
today my attending anesthesiologist told me that the job market for gas is rapidly saturating. with more and more people going into gas he predicts that there will be less and less jobs open for recent grads. he points out that though the recent grads in our residency program all got jobs most were not in preferable locations even though it is a top anesthesia residency program. this with jobs will lose security as it will be easier to replace anesthesiologists with other mda's or crnas. he predicts a swing in the other direction kind of like what blade was saying...

Members don't see this ad.

He's right.......been in private practice for 10 years and I am certainly seeing it.

I have heard the recession has been contributing to market saturation as well, although I have no idea to what degree. People have lost significant percentages of retirement funds leading them to postpone retirement until this money is recovered. I don't think anesthesia is the only field where recent grads are having this problem. Has anyone else heard this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with all of this. Alot of what I am seeing is that there are anesthesia jobs out there but they are either in crummy locations or they are offering 4 weeks of vacation and mediocre pay with very few actual partnership tracks. Many of the jobs are employee based from hospitals. The pain markets are terrible. Unless you know someone, it is very difficult to get a good pain job. I had a phone interview with a pain group in SC and they were offering $275k with 2 weeks of vacation. And they have people working there. I personally would like to have more vacation than I did when I was a resident. These are scary times.

glad to see all the hard work I put into getting into an anesthesia residency has paid off.

its going to be a rough next 5-10 years thats for sure

People have lost significant percentages of retirement funds leading them to postpone retirement until this money is recovered.

True - but those guys will still eventually retire. Delayed retirement is causing a bump in the supply curve, but we'll probably just simply see higher-than-normal retirement losses in 3 or 5 years. Meanwhile, people are aging poorly and demand will continue to increase.

I think pay will go down because of reimbursement & Obamacare issues, not because of a new glut on the supply side.

its going to be a rough next 5-10 years thats for sure

I work in a private practice group 1 hour east of downtown Los Angeles and when I got hired 3 years ago, my group had to pay a recruiter $20,000 to get me. This year when we had an opening we had over 100 applications!!

This year when we had an opening we had over 100 applications!!
this speaks volumes really.. yeah i remember looking in Los Angeles in 2002 and there were tons of jobs. Literally every single hospital was looking. Now go on gaswork if you find one or 2 jobs in LA youll be lucky. where are you riverside. san bernadino?

What's up with saying "mdas"? Are you a medical student? If you say this **** during an interview, you will be canned.

Anyway...

Overall, this statement is true. At least in the major city I live in. There are several more residents graduating in this city per year than there are jobs available in this city per year.

a little off topic, but i don't know if you are going to contain this MDA phenomenon. I see it all the time, on official documents our hospital uses and everything. I don't see it as derogatory, I appreciate that it designates both an MD and anesthesia so I know who I'm dealing with and what training they have immediately. Anyhow......

this speaks volumes really.. yeah i remember looking in Los Angeles in 2002 and there were tons of jobs. Literally every single hospital was looking. Now go on gaswork if you find one or 2 jobs in LA youll be lucky. where are you riverside. san bernadino?

Redlands

Its saturated in the major markets where I'm at. I was 'jokingly' told last year that I got the last job in the city. Doesn't seem like such a joke now.

True - but those guys will still eventually retire. Delayed retirement is causing a bump in the supply curve, but we'll probably just simply see higher-than-normal retirement losses in 3 or 5 years. Meanwhile, people are aging poorly and demand will continue to increase.

I think pay will go down because of reimbursement & Obamacare issues, not because of a new glut on the supply side.

I've heard of MANY examples of older dudes delaying retirement due to losses in their retirement funds. This comes from both attending anesthesiologists as well as personal contacts in the private business sector (non-medical). This is a widespread phenomenon also.

SO, I agree this is a bump in the road, and as people recover their losses, they WILL eventually retire, as was projected prior to the economic crisis that we now face.

Also, we're in the middle of the biggest healthcare debate in over a decade. So, this uncertainty, not unlike the uncertainty that is preventing corporate America from hiring, will eventually run it's course as whatever settles out, settles out the way it will. In medicine, though, I don't see demand falling, as could be argued in global business. It's not the same, unless we DO see major healthcare delivery overhauls, which now seems less likely.

cf

You can still graduate residency and make 500K + your first year out. Likely not in a city, but within 1.5 hours of one... if you know where to look and are not too picky about location. I was offered several of these on my interview trail. Some in the midwest, some in the south. These jobs are out there. The job market is NOT saturated everywhere.;)

oh... yeah... some in the northwest that made less (400k) with 12 weeks vacation. The market is not as bad as some people say. Not right now anyways. For now... there is still a need.

We saw the same thing happen in the early 90's when Hillary tried to "reform" health care. Our senior resident "Follies" that year had a resident outside the hospital with a sign "Will Anesthetize for Food!" Funny and telling all at the same time.
The depressed job market lasted for a while, until people got sick of taking so much call in their groups, but they eventually started hiring again. I believe the same pendulum swing will happen this time as well.

A lousy job in a major metropolitan area is definately low on my list. I'd rather work in a smaller city. I expect that by 2013 when I finish residency, the combination of recuperated portfolios and older docs simply not wanting to put up with the aggrevation of continued work will have finally pushed many holdouts into retirement. I am anticipating plenty of excellent job offers.