saying but not doing a minor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IRpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i want to minor in biology at my school just to get out of taking some of the pre-reqs for some of the courses, such as genetics, (requires cell and mirco, iv taken cell, but im not taking micro)
my school requires that i declare a minor in biology before they let me override into the class

my question is, once i declare i want to minor in biology, can i later "cancel" my minor, after taking the necessary classes?

or can i just not finish the requirements for a minor, and apply for graduation with my major?

We don't know your school's rules. You should be asking someone on campus.

i don't see why you couldn't just ask the counselors this. I mean not actually telling them that you definitely plan to quit later but if it's okay to just drop a major halfway if you decided it's not for you. I mean I dropped a 2nd major in chemistry 4 classes short and it was no big deal. I also would like to believe the pre-req's are designed to protect you than obstruct you. I doubt it would retroactively harm you after you took those classes and decided to drop the minor.

Members don't see this ad :)
i want to minor in biology at my school just to get out of taking some of the pre-reqs for some of the courses, such as genetics, (requires cell and mirco, iv taken cell, but im not taking micro)
my school requires that i declare a minor in biology before they let me override into the class

my question is, once i declare i want to minor in biology, can i later "cancel" my minor, after taking the necessary classes?

or can i just not finish the requirements for a minor, and apply for graduation with my major?

If you don't have to have the minor you could likely drop it or change it to something more palatable for you.

What can they POSSIBLY do? Well, I guess they can prevent you from graduating! But that's very rare ;p