Scared?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stayce

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you deal with the fear and anxiety in the month or two prior to starting medical school? Did you find yourself panicking about money, school supplies, and whether or not the adcoms made the right choices? Do not get me wrong. I am very excited to begin a professional program in the next two months, but am starting to get terrified about everything.
Can anyone relate?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat. I got accepted into early decision and so I have known where I will be going since August. As the months go by I get more nervous and fear is starting to creep in. I keep finding myself saying "next year at this time I will be...... OH MY GOD! I WILL BE IN MED SCHOOL!"

Now, I have been wanting to go to med school for quite some time and I have been thru hell and back a few time in the last few years to get to this point. My biggest fear, right now, is that one morning I will wake up and find that it was all a dream and I was never really accepted and that I am not going to med school next August. So far I haven't woke up yet and even though the fear is there, life is still good.

I felt the same way before school started, but as time goes on you will work things out.. Then you'll worry about new, different things. For example, I have enough money to pay for school, but how will I ever pay that back on top of my undergrad. loans? You just have to have faith that things will work out and you will take each challenge on as it comes.

So for now, I'm not worried about loan pay-backs, but how the heck I'm going to pass finals in two weeks. Scary stuff, indeed!

Missy
NSUCOM 2006

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, yes, and it's always funny when I think back about how hard I tried to get INTO medical school and all I can think of now is how bad I want to make it OUT.

It is pretty funny when you think about how nervous a person can get. Believe me, I made myself sick before every test first trimester.

Now, after a few months, the nervous feeling is still in my stomach, but to a much lesser degree.

I arrived at PCOM (in my opinion) by luck. My MCAT score was pretty bad. But when I received my first test back in Anatomy, I realized that I do belong in Med School. I think it is absolutely normal to worry about things like, "Do I belong here?" "How will I pay my school loans?" "Am I making the right decision?"

My approach to life is that God has put me where I am for a reason and I'm going to let everything else fall into place. As one of my basketball coaches put it to me, "Take care of the little things, and the big things will take care of themselves."

Hope this helps,
Chisel

Money was my big concern, not the courseload.

I knew I could do the work.

I didn't know (and still don't know!) how I would pay for it.

:D