Scheduling Multiple Interview Slots on Same Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahines07

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was just curious if anyone could comment on the ability to hold multiple interview slots for the same day at different programs (with the intent of cancelling one in the future)? I am not sure how the scheduling works and if the system allows this. I am applying into a specialty that requires a prelim year and will be couple's matching. This creates a problem bc most of the prelim/TY programs send out their invites before my fiance finds out where she received invites to. Although we can try to anticipate where she might get invites, it would leave more doors open if I could hold interview slots until learning where she received invites to. I realize it's not ideal to hold slots I won't end up interviewing for and I would certainly cancel as soon as my fiance hears back, however given the situation it is something that would make our situation easier to navigate if possible. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it.
Just cancel the interviews you aren't going to attend as soon as you know. Late cancellations often translate to unfilled interview slots, especially for programs that don't have a hub airport nearby.

Just cancel the interviews you aren't going to attend as soon as you know. Late cancellations often translate to unfilled interview slots, especially for programs that don't have a hub airport nearby.
Definitely. Ideally I wouldn't have to do this at all but if I do then will make sure to cancel as soon as I know. Hopefully that will be early enough in the season for others to fill my slot.

Why can’t you make a decision now about which program to visit at a certain date? There’s no reason to hold more than 1 that I can think of.

Hoarding multiple interview options is pretty awful - there are probably numerous applicants who would pick it up in an instant. The closer you get to the interview day the harder it is to fill that slot for the program. If you have multiple offers, just choose some and see if you can reschedule the rest if you’d like.

Why can’t you make a decision now about which program to visit at a certain date? There’s no reason to hold more than 1 that I can think of.

Hoarding multiple interview options is pretty awful - there are probably numerous applicants who would pick it up in an instant. The closer you get to the interview day the harder it is to fill that slot for the program. If you have multiple offers, just choose some and see if you can reschedule the rest if you’d like.

Honestly, I understand it within reason. It makes financial sense to cluster interviews geographically to avoid transportation expenses, not to mention all the down time involved with sitting in airports or driving all over the place. I don't like it. Few things are more frustrating in my job than getting a cancellation two days before an interview day that includes a casual "I hope you'll be able to fill my slot" tacked on at the end. My city doesn't have a hub airport, so filling from my wait list on short notice can be a challenge. But I do understand the applicants' point of view, as well. Interviewing is expensive, and they want to save money where they can.

Reactions: 1 user
You may have missed the part where the OP is couples matching. Say for example the OP was offered interviews in LA and New York for the same date, but they don't yet know if the fiance will be invited to interviews in one location or the other. It makes sense to hold onto both to see where they would have a chance to match together.

You may have missed the part where the OP is couples matching. Say for example the OP was offered interviews in LA and New York for the same date, but they don't yet know if the fiance will be invited to interviews in one location or the other. It makes sense to hold onto both to see where they would have a chance to match together.

Yes, I admit I did miss that. Story was a bit confusing to me.

I agree with above, it's not the nicest thing to do, but in your situation I don't know what else to recommend you do. Just let the programs know as soon as possible.