Scholarship vs Rank / Leveraging Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

boog

Anywhere I was going, I was RUN-NING
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I have recently received a full-tuition+ (160k) scholarship to an in-state med school (rank top 50). I know this is an incredible opportunity, and I hate coming off as entitled, presumptuous etc. But when I attended interviews, the school did not click and students seemed really unhappy. I have also received acceptances to two great schools with much higher ranks (Top 10/Top 30) with comparably happier students and much more appealing curriculum styles, but I have not heard anything with regard to financial aid or scholarships. I would like to follow up with the two schools, but I don't want to risk sounding ridiculous/like a jerk/entitled etc.

I guess my question is two parts: Should I bother emailing them, and if so what should I say?
 
Hi everyone,

I have recently received a full-tuition+ (160k) scholarship to an in-state med school (rank top 50). I know this is an incredible opportunity, and I hate coming off as entitled, presumptuous etc. But when I attended interviews, the school did not click and students seemed really unhappy. I have also received acceptances to two great schools with much higher ranks (Top 10/Top 30) with comparably happier students and much more appealing curriculum styles, but I have not heard anything with regard to financial aid or scholarships. I would like to follow up with the two schools, but I don't want to risk sounding ridiculous/like a jerk/entitled etc.

I guess my question is two parts: Should I bother emailing them, and if so what should I say?

Congrats on receiving an awesome scholarship! That's a huge accomplishment.

Personally, I think you should email them- as long as you go about in an appropriate manner. I suggest reading these:

Merit Aid for Med School

Negotiating Aid
 
Your not coming off as presumptuous. You worked hard and you got a unique offer! Congrats! From what other people told me, financial packages should be coming out this month. Guess we'll see!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you everyone! I decided to go for it and sent the email. I really appreciate the advice/confidence boost having some people to talk about it with!! @gonnif I will be there!
 
I'm in the same position! I've been nervous to jump out and send out emails but I'm going to give it a shot. Guess it can't be any worse than a No if done respectfully. Hope for the best for you!
 
Hi everyone,

I have recently received a full-tuition+ (160k) scholarship to an in-state med school (rank top 50). I know this is an incredible opportunity, and I hate coming off as entitled, presumptuous etc. But when I attended interviews, the school did not click and students seemed really unhappy. I have also received acceptances to two great schools with much higher ranks (Top 10/Top 30) with comparably happier students and much more appealing curriculum styles, but I have not heard anything with regard to financial aid or scholarships. I would like to follow up with the two schools, but I don't want to risk sounding ridiculous/like a jerk/entitled etc.

I guess my question is two parts: Should I bother emailing them, and if so what should I say?
Even with no scholarships, my read from SDNers is that debt seems to be less of an issue than people think it is, and by making it into a higher class school, since more doors are open to the better residencies, you can pay down that debt much faster than you think.