School and Marriage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Claymore

Yankees Suck
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was wondering what the rough percentages were of how many people are already married when they enter med school, and how many get married during school. Is there really enough time to plan/have a wedding (during summer or vacation or something)? Or do you pretty much have to wait until afterwards? Has anyone else who is starting this Fall thought about this yet? I know the numbers will vary a lot but any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently married and starting med school in the fall. I actually got married right before my husband started med school 6 year ago! There is enough time to plan/have a wedding in med school. It is alot of work being married during med school especially if only one person is attending med school. I am not sure of the percentages of married couples but I would expect them to be low. During my med school interview, the admissions director even warned me about attending med school and being married. My husband and I made it through his med school education but it was definitely challenging!!!! I guess the bottom line is that it can be done!

My wife and i are both starting medschool together this fall. personally i think this is better then just having one of us in school, because we will be going through it together. I know people who are married and in medschool though. they say the key is to set aside some quality time with your significant other no matter how hectic things get.

Members don't see this ad :)
I too am married, have been for almost three years and will be attending medical school this fall. My wife and I have had a rough marriage, so med school will be the ultimate test. If we can survive medical school, we can survive anything. We also have four children, two that are ours and two that are her nieces. The ages are 7,5, 17 months, and three weeks. So this is going to make it even harder. But I am bound and determined to become a doctor and being a father and husband. It will take a lot of work, and support from my wife, but we will make it!!

Chris

Being married for nine years, I chose Osteopathic Medicine partially because of the family-friendly atmosphere. The MD vs. DO schools that I interviewed at showed a stark difference in the attitudes toward having a family. At KCOM, many students are married and most of those who are have children (one guy has 6 kids, i believe--i have 2). It can be done, but it does take a lot of extra understanding on the part of the family and, on the part of the student, willingness to prioritize--you can't have a family and be the top student. Decide what is most important!

I must agree with buckeye. Both my husband and I will be starting med school in the fall. We dated all through undergrad so we already know that we make great study partners. Even though medical school will be difficult, we are doing it together so we understand what the other is going through. Personally I think it is great arrangement. Not only do you get to spend a lot of time together, but you have a sure support system.