MD School List: 522 MCAT, 3.84 sGPA, 3.73 cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fortheangels

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone -- I've looked through sdn for a few months now (thanks to everyone who is a tremendous resource!) but have been unable to find school list threads close enough to my own application that I decided to post my own before adding my school list to my application (I added my in-state schools already & will be verified in a few days according to AAMC's Twitter).

I was hoping I could get some confirmation/make sure I'm not missing anywhere that I might match up with well stats & mission wise. I talk about this in my PS, but I am very passionate about service, but also see myself being involved in clinical research as well. I am thinking I'll want to specialize in a pediatric specialty, but could also see myself in rehabilitative medicine (and also know I probably will laugh at myself in 2 years for thinking I know what I'm talking about).

**I also want to make sure I am being broad enough.

so, me on paper:
Applied to matriculate in 2020
Graduate of class of 2019 of very large state school (with its own medical school, but one that is pretty OOS friendly)
White female

Stats:
MCAT 522 (130/131/129/132)
cGPA 3.73
sGPA 3.84
(GPA difference due to Bs in engineering courses & a C in a summer online non-science class where I missed the final)

ECs:
Research:
~1300 hours total clinical research in a specialty under an attending who is the head of a disease center (analyzing data from EHRs mainly): ~300 hours completed; working ~1000 more hours over gap year & planning to submit an abstract for publication (he wrote about this in my LOR) (discussed in my PS)
~50 hours clinical research in psychiatry (just 2 months' time)
~100 hours research for group capstone design project, poster presentation for this won an award

Shadowing:
~75 hours in cardiology, ophthalmology, pediatric oncology, orthopedics, & a little radiology

Clinical Employment:
began work as ophthalmology tech before submitting app, estimated ~800 hours over gap year

Clinical Volunteering:
100 hours in a cancer center associated with a large hospital

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
1400 hours, 1100 in a leadership position of a large philanthropic organization benefitting children (I stressed the leadership portion of this in my PS & W/A); this also gave me clinical exposure though I listed it as non-clinical; won an award for commitment, loyalty, leadership, and the ability to motivate other students for this

Teaching:
~200 hours as a facilitated study group leader for a specific group of underserved college students over many semesters

Other Leadership:
~1500 hours in intercollegiate athletics & as president & VP for club sport
~150 hours in 2 different engineering clubs

Other Undergraduate Employment:
~400 hours as childcare provider for women's gym
~250 hours as waitress
~150 hours as swim coach

My current school list:
UPenn
Chicago
Columbia
Pitt
NYU
Duke
Hopkins
UCSD
USC (Keck)
UVA
Case Western
Mt. Sinai
Jefferson
Temple
Penn State
Emory
Cornell
Northwestern
Ohio State
Georgetown
Geisinger
Cincinatti
USF (Morsani)
Maryland
Stony Brook
Boston
Tufts
Wake Forest
Loyola
Rush

I'd like to get this to around 20, so any input (for or against a school I do have or don't have) is appreciated!

Thanks so, so much in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could add these schools:
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Washington University
You could remove Wake Forest, Loyola and Rush since they may yield protect (they may not offer an interview because they know from experience that applicants with your high MCAT are unlikely to attend their school)

You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could add these schools:
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Washington University
You could remove Wake Forest, Loyola and Rush since they may yield protect (they may not offer an interview because they know from experience that applicants with your high MCAT are unlikely to attend their school)

Thank you so much!

hi everyone -- I've looked through sdn for a few months now (thanks to everyone who is a tremendous resource!) but have been unable to find school

UPenn
Chicago
Columbia
Pitt
NYU
Duke
Hopkins
UCSD
USC (Keck)
UVA
Case Western
Mt. Sinai
Jefferson
Temple
Emory
Cornell
Northwestern
Ohio State
Geisinger
Cincinatti
USF (Morsani)
Boston
Tufts
Wake Forest
Faha's suggestions are great. I modified your list

Also consider U VM, Case, Hofstra, Einstein, Baylor, Duke, Vandy, UCLA, UCSF

Faha's suggestions are great. I modified your list

Also consider U VM, Case, Hofstra, Einstein, Baylor, Duke, Vandy, UCLA, UCSF
You don’t think a school like UVM will yield protect (that is why I didn’t apply there....was under that impression)

In looking at their 75th-90th %iles, I do not believe that they will do so.
Interesting, their accepted 90% is 519 and their matriculated 90% is 517 - at what point do you think yield protect comes in to play?