School list... Annoying I know, but need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerebrus123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

So I'm about to submit my primary (little late I know, but screw it), and I'm having a crap ton of trouble figuring out which schools to apply to. My list so far is:

Albany
Brown
BU
Columbia
Dartmouth
Drexel
Duke
ECU
Einstein
Emory
Georgetown
GWU
Loyola Chicago
U of Miami
MUSC
NY Medical College
NYU
Oakland
Ohio State
Penn State
Rochester
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
SUNY-Brooklyn
Temple
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
Tulane
U of Buffalo
U of Maryland
U. Penn
U-Il-Chicago
UNC
USC
VCU
Wake

That's 36 schools total... aka crap ton. I'd definitley be willing to narrow it down some and definitley don't want to add anymore. I just graduated with distinction from Duke, with a major in Biological Anthropology & Anatomy, and minors in Bio and Anthropology. My cGPA and sGPA are both around a 3.5, and I'm anticipating an MCAT score of roughly 35.

I spent two years as an undergrad working on an independent research project in Uganda (a project that I helped cofound), and received 4 grants to research in Uganda over two summers. Also, during my second year working in Uganda I led a group of eight other Duke students working there (basically planned the whole project start to finish). I have okay shadowing, community service experience, yaddah yaddah... studied abroad in Costa Rica studying tropical biology, am about to publish my graduation with distinction thesis on primatology. Am taking a year off, and most likely will be doing global health policy resarch in the Duke Office of Global Health Development (much like what I did in Uganda).

.... What you guys think? How my schools lookin? FYI other schools I was considering are: U of Louisville
Indiana
Michigan State
St. Louis U.

Also, bee tee dub... am an NC resident.

THANKS ALL!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

A strategy to consider, until you know your MCAT score, is to apply to the less selective schools only for now. When the score returns (hopefully soon?), you can add additional schools depending on how competitive you are. Newly added schools will get the entire application within one business day.

Indiana prefers those with state ties. Brown prefers OOSers with regional ties.

SC residency is also a primary selection factor for MUSC. OOS applicants must have "superior records" to be considered. USC (assuming you're talking about the school in SC and not in CA) is also difficult for OOS applicants. Michigan State is extremely expensive - tuition for OOS (not including living expenses) was $65,000/year back in 2008. I'm sure it's even higher now.