School list help for 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gcuvier

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can't speak as to MD/PhD programs.

But for MD, I suggest:

Dartmouth
Rochester
U ILL
SIU IF you're from southern ILL
NYU-LI
Emory
Tufts
Jefferson
Nova MD
U VM
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Hackensack Meridian
TCU/UNT

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't speak as to MD/PhD programs.

But for MD, I suggest:

Dartmouth
Rochester
U ILL
SIU IF you're from southern ILL
NYU-LI
Emory
Tufts
Jefferson
Nova MD
U VM
Miami
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Hackensack Meridian
TCU/UNT
How about Einstein?

I failed out my first semester of college, otherwise, my gpa would be 3.80+. According to my current PI and former PI, I still have a shot at MD/Ph.D./MSTP given my experience/potential. I am also expecting extraordinary letters of recommendation. Are there any low/mid-tier schools you would recommend?

Edit: I have decided to pursue MD/Ph.D. without an MCAT retake. @Lucca could you chime in, please?
I don't think your PI's are that clued in on the MCAT required for MSTP because 506 is too low, even if you are URM. Now I can always be wrong, and the pathway to get into MD/PhD after M1 is still on the table. I'm just skeptical of getting in off the bat unless there is a real track record with your PI's. Have your current/former PI's gotten former undergrads into MSTP or MD/PhD programs? They should be able to tell you who got in and help connect them with you.

Furthermore, have you gone to SACNAS or ABRCMS? Have you networked with LMSA student officers, especially those in MD/PhD programs? Were you ever a participant in an MD/PhD-prep summer programs or other summer research opportunities?

Here's a general advising video about applying to MD/PhD programs (2020). Minute 25 has the aggregate applicant vs. matriculant statistics. You do fall within the lower side of the ranges, so it's not impossible, but the more you know about the support you have available, the easier it's going to be.

Another updated video on applying to MD/PhD during COVID from Dr. Cavazos at UTSA I think.

Last edited:
Thank you for this. Unfortunately, I began research late in my undergrad career (2 semesters of work that earned me a pub) due to starting at a community college. Having not had enough I decided to continue and get myself a job as a tech. I've been fortunate enough to be in a lab where I have been given my own project and can expect to have presentations and even a publication (would be my 2nd and as 1st author) in the not-so-distant future. I keep being told that commitment/potential could trump stats when it comes to MD/Ph.D. and this is what's motivating to give a cycle a try. At the same time, I want to be realistic. However, I cannot see myself doing only clinical work.

Edit: I realized I didn't answer your questions. My PIs have not gotten undergrads into MSTP or MD/PhD programs, at least directly. One PI did tell me about an undergrad who got into MD/Ph.D. after M1, and I am planning to connect with that person. Unfortunately, I never connected with those groups during undergrad. I tried applying but my lack of research experience never got me into one of those summer programs.
What do you mean by this statement? If you love research so passionately, why not a PhD and not bother with a MD at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for this. Unfortunately, I began research late in my undergrad career (2 semesters of work that earned me a pub) due to starting at a community college. Having not had enough I decided to continue and get myself a job as a tech. I've been fortunate enough to be in a lab where I have been given my own project and can expect to have presentations and even a publication (would be my 2nd and as 1st author) in the not-so-distant future. I keep being told that commitment/potential could trump stats when it comes to MD/Ph.D. and this is what's motivating to give a cycle a try. At the same time, I want to be realistic. However, I cannot see myself doing only clinical work.

Edit: I realized I didn't answer your questions. My PIs have not gotten undergrads into MSTP or MD/PhD programs, at least directly. One PI did tell me about an undergrad who got into MD/Ph.D. after M1, and I am planning to connect with that person. Unfortunately, I never connected with those groups during undergrad. I tried applying but my lack of research experience never got me into one of those summer programs.
I would encourage you to watch all the videos that I linked for you. Commitment/potential never trump statistics in real life and especially in medical admissions. You still have to pass your MD classes on-time.

Reactions: 1 user