This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yogidoc19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you have a lot of state schools that do not take many out of state candidates on the MD side. Your efforts are best spent on the DO side , you might be able to get a better list of you ask mods to move to WAMC.

If you want to apply MD then invest in the MSAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
you have a lot of state schools that do not take many out of state candidates on the MD side. Your efforts are best spent on the DO side , you might be able to get a better list of you ask mods to move to WAMC.

Hi, thanks for the response! Which schools in particular if you don't mind me asking? The CA schools are on there simply because I have lived in CA my whole life (minus college) and am not sure if they give any special consideration for in-state eligibility. However, others have suggested I not even try to get CA in state recognition so not sure what to do. I plan to contact them to ask how it works. Most of the others did not appear to be a huge reach with my stats after using the MSAR but I could be wrong- I eliminated any that interviewed less than 10% OOS applicants. I am much more confident in my ability to get accepted to DO but don't want to just apply DO. I'd be happy to go to a DO school but there aren't 20+ that I'd want to go to and don't only want to apply to 12 schools.

Also I'm new here, whats the WAMC?

Last edited:
If you want to apply MD then invest in the MSAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did purchase it and have been using it. I am going to talk to advisors and seek more advice about "new" MD schools because I want to make sure they are a good option before applying so some are not on my list. I have read/heard very mixed things about them in general.

Hi, thanks for the response! Which schools in particular if you don't mind me asking? The CA schools are on there simply because I have lived in CA my whole life (minus school) and am not sure if they give any special consideration for admission to someone like me. I plan to contact them to ask. Most of the others did not appear to be a huge reach with my stats after using the MSAR but I could be wrong- I eliminated any that interviewed less than 10% OOS applicants. I am much more confident in my ability to get accepted to DO but don't want to just apply DO. I'd be happy to go to a DO school but there aren't 20+ that I'd want to go to and don't only want to apply to 12 schools.

Also I'm new here, whats the WAMC?

I take that back, those schools do take a decent amount of OOS.

These are the schools that you have a shot at where the 10th percentile of scores was below your score.
VCU
Thomas Jefferson
Cooper Medical School Rowan
Wright State University
University of Arizona College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin Chicago

I take that back, those schools do take a decent amount of OOS.

These are the schools that you have a shot at where the 10th percentile of scores was below your score.
VCU
Thomas Jefferson
Cooper Medical School Rowan
Wright State University
University of Arizona College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin Chicago

You're a mind reader haha, I had both Rosalind and Wright state in my favorites on the MSAR but had not looked deeply at the stats yet.
So these are my best shot MD ones as an OOS applicant you think?
My post bacc is well known in the Philly area and has a lot of students go on to Cooper (especially Spanish speakers) and also Jefferson/Drexel/Temple/PCOM so I feel a little hope with those even though my scores are not the best. However, I cannot afford to waste money so If I should just take something off my list now feel free to let me know!

You're a mind reader haha, I had both Rosalind and Wright state in my favorites on the MSAR but had not looked deeply at the stats yet.
So these are my best shot MD ones as an OOS applicant you think?
My post bacc is well known in the Philly area and has a lot of students go on to Cooper (especially Spanish speakers) and also Jefferson/Drexel/Temple/PCOM so I feel a little hope with those even though my scores are not the best. However, I cannot afford to waste money so If I should just take something off my list now feel free to let me know!
I dont mean to make it sound like all doom and gloom , however state schools that accept OOS students tend to have a higher bar for them vs IS students so the numbers may look different.
Your best shot rests with DO schools, I take it you had an older mcat? If so what was that score?

I dont mean to make it sound like all doom and gloom , however state schools that accept OOS students tend to have a higher bar for them vs IS students so the numbers may look different.
Your best shot rests with DO schools, I take it you had an older mcat? If so what was that score?

Yes, it is expired now but was a pretty horrible one at 500... I studied like crazy while taking 4 courses in my post bacc to get it up this time around but that psych section was a real struggle for me.
And no worries I just wanted honest opinions, as a re-app I don't want to waste my time/money with schools who won't even consider me. Just hard to judge how my significant grade improvement in post bacc will be perceived so i'm trying to make sure I'm not totally off base with my list... those apps open so soon haha

And yes, I always make sure to click the "accepted OOS" to see how the MCAT/GPA changes. Usually it is about the same but occasionally higher or lower so I try to take that into account

Yes, it is expired now but was a pretty horrible one at 500... I studied like crazy while taking 4 courses in my post bacc to get it up this time around but that psych section was a real struggle for me.
And no worries I just wanted honest opinions, as a re-app I don't want to waste my time/money with schools who won't even consider me. Just hard to judge how my significant grade improvement in post bacc will be perceived so i'm trying to make sure I'm not totally off base with my list... those apps open so soon haha

And yes, I always make sure to click the "accepted OOS" to see how the MCAT/GPA changes. Usually it is about the same but occasionally higher or lower so I try to take that into account
Some MD schools average MCATs others take highst subsections and other just look at most recent. So that is also working against you. However, I would apply to 10 MD schools just to be optimistic and see how it shakes out. the 507 . 3.5 should land you at almost any DO school.

Unfortunately, If you had that postbac gpa with lets say a 515, that would have been a different story.

Last edited:
Some MD schools average MCATs others take highst subsections and other just look at most recent. So that is also working against you. However, I would apply to 10 MD schools just to be optimistic and see how it shakes out. the 507 . 3.5 should land you at almost any DO school.

Unfortunately, If you had that postbac gpa with lets say a 515, that would have been a different story.

Yeah, I wish I could have pulled that off but it was a balancing act of my classes and MCAT studying! I'm happy to go the DO route though so don't think its in my best interest to re-take the MCAT now. Thanks so much for all of your help I really appreciate the honesty and direction!

Reactions: 1 user