School List Suggestions and Disclaimers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somethingpremed

Reaction score
MCAT 511 (130-123-129-129) GPA 3.83

English as a secondary language background

Teaching Assistant - 3 semesters, nonclinical volunteer - 150, research in total - 600~

Clinical Experience - 300hr as PCT, shadowing (10) upcoming 20hr hopefully

Pretty bummed about my CARS score but hopefully, my personal statement explaining my language barrier shines through.

So far on the list: MD only with prioritizing instate schools. - Appreciate the help!

Albany Medical College

Albert Einstein

Jacobs - Buffalo

Stony Brook

Upstate

Downstate

Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science

Eastern Virginia Medical School

Carle Illinois

Rosalind Franklin

Emory

Frank H. Quinnipiac

Geisinger Commonwealth

Hackensack

Howard

Sidney Kimmel

Virginia Tech Carilion

NOVA

UMich

Wake forest

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

A 123 CARS score is below 10th %ile for every med school in the US, with the exception of Morehouse and Meharry.

Are you African-American? If not delete Howard.
Of your list,
Albany Medical College
Jacobs - Buffalo
Stony Brook
Upstate
Downstate
Rosalind Franklin
Emory
Frank H. Quinnipiac
Hackensack
NOVA
Wake forest

Are the most realistic.

Beggars can't be choosy, you need to have DO schools on your list

Reactions: 1 user
You have Rosalind Franklin on your list twice.And if you don’t have a strong Engineering background take Carle off too.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A 123 CARS score is below 10th %ile for every med school in the US, with the exception of Morehouse and Meharry.

Are you African-American? If not delete Howard.
Of your list,
Albany Medical College
Jacobs - Buffalo
Stony Brook
Upstate
Downstate
Rosalind Franklin
Emory
Frank H. Quinnipiac
Hackensack
NOVA
Wake forest

Are the most realistic.

Beggars can't be choosy, you need to have DO schools on your list
Hi, thank you for your input, do you suggest that I should only apply to these 13 schools for MD? I'm kinda on a tight budget so removing any would be a plus. I would be more than happy to attend my state schools. Why do you think it is unrealistic with Geisinger and Sidney K. ?

Also, I plan to add Penn State and Robert Larner (Vermont) to my list. What is your thought on these schools?

Last edited:
Hi, thank you for your input, do you suggest that I should only apply to these 13 schools for MD?
Those are the only schools to which I think you are competitive with your CARS score. My worry is that you'd simply be crowded out by stronger applicants.
I'm kinda on a tight budget so removing any would be a plus. I would be more than happy to attend my state schools. Why do you think it is unrealistic with Geisinger and Sidney K. ?
Geisinger likes people from the Scranton area. As for Jefferson, your MCAT is at their 25th %ile and the CARS score is still below the 10th %ile, two basis points, in fact. U VM is similar.
Also, I plan to add Penn State and Robert Larner (Vermont) to my list. What is your thought on these schools?
I can’t recommend Penn State given how their parent body protected a child molester for decades

Again, your chances will be better at DO schools.

MCAT 511 (130-123-129-129) GPA 3.83

English as a secondary language background

Teaching Assistant - 3 semesters, nonclinical volunteer - 150, research in total - 600~

Clinical Experience - 300hr as PCT, shadowing (10) upcoming 20hr hopefully

Pretty bummed about my CARS score but hopefully, my personal statement explaining my language barrier shines through.

So far on the list: MD only with prioritizing instate schools. - Appreciate the help!

Albany Medical College

Albert Einstein

Jacobs - Buffalo

Stony Brook

Upstate

Downstate

Carle Illinois

Rosalind Franklin

Emory

Frank H. Quinnipiac

Geisinger Commonwealth

Hackensack

Howard

Sidney Kimmel

Virginia Tech Carilion

NOVA

UMich

Wake forest

Thanks in advance!
Michigan is out of reach. Based on MCAT, Einstein and Stony Brook are a stretch even for instate. Same for Emory and Sidney Kimmel. I second others' comments about Carle, Geisinger, and Howard. Virginia Tech looks for very strong, multi-year research backgrounds. I think I'd replace some of these with Penn State, NYMC, Oakland, maybe Vermont, Drexel, Temple, maybe RWJ in New Jersey.

Those are the only schools to which I think you are competitive with your CARS score. My worry is that you'd simply be crowded out by stronger applicants.

Geisinger likes people from the Scranton area. As for Jefferson, your MCAT is at their 25th %ile and the CARS score is still below the 10th %ile, two basis points, in fact. U VM is similar.

I can’t recommend Penn State given how their parent body protected a child molester for decades

Again, your chances will be better at DO schools.
Thank you for your honesty, I really appreciate your feedback.

• Care
Michigan is out of reach. Based on MCAT, Einstein and Stony Brook are a stretch even for instate. Same for Emory and Sidney Kimmel. I second others' comments about Carle, Geisinger, and Howard. Virginia Tech looks for very strong, multi-year research backgrounds. I think I'd replace some of these with Penn State, NYMC, Oakland, maybe Vermont, Drexel, Temple, maybe RWJ in New Jersey.
Thank you for your suggestions and honesty! I'll update my list accordingly.