This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted678344

I know this question is always asked, but I would like some help with choosing schools to apply to.

Stats:
1. 23 DAT AA, 21 P, 20 QR, 20 RC, 25 Bio, 23 GC, 26 OC, 24 TS
2. North Dakota Resident (We don't have a dental school, so I plan to apply largely to WICHE schools because I get money and sometimes preference)
3. I have over a thousand hours of volunteering and extensive research, but I am lacking on shadowing currently.

So far I have:
1. Univ of Minn
2. Marquette
3. UCLA
4. UCSF
5. Univ of Wash
6. Univ of Pitt

My current goal is to eventually specialize in pediatrics OR work with kids/adults with special needs.

What does everyone think?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know this question is always asked, but I would like some help with choosing schools to apply to.

Stats:
1. 23 DAT AA, 21 P, 20 QR, 20 RC, 25 Bio, 23 GC, 26 OC, 24 TS
2. North Dakota Resident (We don't have a dental school, so I plan to apply largely to WICHE schools because I get money and sometimes preference)
3. I have over a thousand hours of volunteering and extensive research, but I am lacking on shadowing currently.

So far I have:
1. Univ of Minn
2. Marquette
3. UCLA
4. UCSF
5. Univ of Wash
6. Univ of Pitt

My current goal is to eventually specialize in pediatrics OR work with kids/adults with special needs.

What does everyone think?
gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
oh you're fine! Don't sweat it. If you're a california resident than I can most likely say you're good for those 2 schools!

I'd add Utah and Colorado. Interviewed at both and loved both schools. They give preference to WICHE too if I remember correctly. You will be good at pretty much every school though I think. Good luck!

I'd include Penn, I think you have a good shot if you have over 50 shadowing hours. They also offer quite a few scholarships. Not to mention high specialization rates and if you want to go into Peds, the CHOP is one of the best in the world.

I'd add Utah and Colorado. Interviewed at both and loved both schools. They give preference to WICHE too if I remember correctly. You will be good at pretty much every school though I think. Good luck!
Appreciate the advice! Thought about both, but unfortunately I didn’t take anatomy and I’m not sure I want to take it on my year off for Utah. What did you like about Colorado? A friend of mine is starting there in the fall!

I'd include Penn, I think you have a good shot if you have over 50 shadowing hours. They also offer quite a few scholarships. Not to mention high specialization rates and if you want to go into Peds, the CHOP is one of the best in the world.
I was not aware of the Children’s Hospital there! I actually know a professor at UPenn through the research I did and considered it, but wasn’t sure about the class size. Might reconsider now though!

I was not aware of the Children’s Hospital there! I actually know a professor at UPenn through the research I did and considered it, but wasn’t sure about the class size. Might reconsider now though!
haha, you could say it's on the map =)) If you have some sort of faulty connection, that could be a big bonus on your application! The way I see it- the class size is ideal, you will be able to make more connections/ friends.

Add ASDOH if youre interested in working with special needs. They have pretty strong exposure to that population and have a clinic solely dedicated to special needs patients!

haha, you could say it's on the map =)) If you have some sort of faulty connection, that could be a big bonus on your application! The way I see it- the class size is ideal, you will be able to make more connections/ friends.
You might have sold me. I looked into it more and love the options for electives as well!!

Appreciate the advice! Thought about both, but unfortunately I didn’t take anatomy and I’m not sure I want to take it on my year off for Utah. What did you like about Colorado? A friend of mine is starting there in the fall!
The environment was so great! Everyone was super friendly and the program is awesome!