School of Public Health versus Public Health Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KARM12

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was a large difference between attending a CEPH School of Public Health versus a CEPH Public Health Program? As long as it is CEPH accreditated, it doesn't make a huge difference as far as the MPH degree is concerned, correct?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if there was a large difference between attending a CEPH School of Public Health versus a CEPH Public Health Program? As long as it is CEPH accreditated, it doesn't make a huge difference as far as the MPH degree is concerned, correct?

Honestly, I wasn't aware of the difference until now! :confused: When I was doing my undergrad in public health, our professors used to tell us "Make sure your grad program/school is CEPH accredited! Run away from it if it's not!" You can find a full list here at http://www.ceph.org/pdf/Master_List.pdf It looks like just because a program is CEPH accredited, doesn't mean that the other MPH programs in the same school are as well - seems like it's broken down into the separate sections intentionally for that reason? So just be aware of this when applying to grad schools ;) As long as the program is CEPH, you will be fine.

Looking on the Public Health Service website, in order to be an environmental health professional they require (among several options) that you have "A master's degree or doctoral degree with a specialization in environmental health, occupational health, or industrial hygiene from a school of public health accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH)." However, "To be a public health officer you must possess a master's degree from a program accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH). "

I'm not sure if the specification of school v program is intentional or not, so attending a school v program may very well make a difference when applying for federal employment.