School Orders AT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hotcarl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have school orders for my AT startign in july, can i just fax my orders to get them signed or do i have to drive their at the start and end to get them signed in person

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hotcarl said:
I have school orders for my AT startign in july, can i just fax my orders to get them signed or do i have to drive their at the start and end to get them signed in person

thanks

drive where?

Hotcarl said:

thanks
Regardless where your reserve center is, I recommend you drive there even if the fax option is available. Letting the FTS see who you are will make them more likely to help you when other issues arise. I also recommend meeting the command chief and/or CO while you're there. Finally, about your orders beginning in July: Does you school year begin in September, or are your orders less than 45 days?

QM1

Members don't see this ad :)
My school year is year round with 2 week breaks for boards and such here and there in the summer.

Hotcarl said:
My school year is year round with 2 week breaks for boards and such here and there in the summer.

you can fax, but one of them (checkin or checkout) has to be signed/stamped in person.

almostfamous said:
you can fax, but one of them (checkin or checkout) has to be signed/stamped in person.
I guess so. I did that for my first set of school orders before OIS. It was a real pain in the neck. After that, I just called the reserve center and told them I was checking in. Then I just made a note of it on my orders.

I'm not sure if it's legal by the Navy's perspective, but either way, I graduated from med school and got promoted to LT. So, take it from there...

Hotcarl said:
So do you get stipend money for 11 1/2 months, and active duty pay for 2 weeks, or do you still get active pay for 45 days? The reason I ask is my school year is roughly the same and I'm trying to find out if the stipend continues along after 10 1/2 month or not. As you're aware, another month of stipend vs. a month of active duty pay is much less.

QM1 said:
So do you get stipend money for 11 1/2 months, and active duty pay for 2 weeks, or do you still get active pay for 45 days? The reason I ask is my school year is roughly the same and I'm trying to find out if the stipend continues along after 10 1/2 month or not. As you're aware, another month of stipend vs. a month of active duty pay is much less.

HPSP students get 10.5 months stipend and 1.5months active duty pay, even on school orders and even on ATs at hospitals that may last less than 45 days (a 30 day rotation at a hospital in MSIII or MSIV).

QM1 said:
Regardless where your reserve center is, I recommend you drive there even if the fax option is available. Letting the FTS see who you are will make them more likely to help you when other issues arise. I also recommend meeting the command chief and/or CO while you're there. Finally, about your orders beginning in July: Does you school year begin in September, or are your orders less than 45 days?

QM1

What reserve center is that? At mine you show up with school orders, an E-3 stamps them, and off you go.

Trajan said:
What reserve center is that? At mine you show up with school orders, an E-3 stamps them, and off you go.
NAVRESLEX, Ky

I stand by my recommendation. As difficult as the military makes certain procedures, I can't see where a little face time could hurt. I'm a poster-child for the effects of Murphy's Law; I don't know about the rest of you, but I'll take whatever extra assistance an E-3 or any other staff member can provide. Believe me, for those of you new to the military, you want to be friendly to the personnelmen/yeoman.

QM1 said:
NAVRESLEX, Ky

I stand by my recommendation. As difficult as the military makes certain procedures, I can't see where a little face time could hurt. I'm a poster-child for the effects of Murphy's Law; I don't know about the rest of you, but I'll take whatever extra assistance an E-3 or any other staff member can provide. Believe me, for those of you new to the military, you want to be friendly to the personnelmen/yeoman.

I'm quite friendly to yeomen and all other enlisted personel at my local Naval Reserve Center. However, checking in for school orders need not be a production; it was, at least in my case, a very simple procedure. Further, if something goes wrong with your AT orders, you will probably sort it out through NMETC Bethesda, not your reserve center.

Trajan said:
I'm quite friendly to yeomen and all other enlisted personel at my local Naval Reserve Center. However, checking in for school orders need not be a production; it was, at least in my case, a very simple procedure. Further, if something goes wrong with your AT orders, you will probably sort it out through NMETC Bethesda, not your reserve center.
Agreed, I didn't mean to imply that checking-in/out was an ordeal, just that if you're in fly-over country, and some unforeseen problem arises, sometimes phone calls and faxes to Bethesda aren't sharp enough to cut through red tape. Like any other organization, there are people who know how to grease wheels, and as students, that person is probably not any of us. More importantly, depending on the size of you're reserve center, someone on staff probably was a college buddy or shipmate to the person handling your potential 'emergency'.