School ranking vs job market?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After the school extended my offer he then apologized and asking me to not leave saying he was stressed and didn’t mean anything he said. So I’m just really giving it some thoughts as this will be a big decision that affects our 2 children and the two of us.

Of course the school extended your "offer". They are desperate to fill their seats. It's getting harder to find gullible people to pay 200k for pharmacy school.

If you were happy as a tech then I don't understand why you just don't work as a tech. No need to waste 4 years and $200k and end up with no job.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
IMO you are in a good position having had kids earlier than later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
What exactly are you passionate about in pharmacy? Retail or hospital (99% of jobs are in these two places)? Consider that if you want hospital, you also have to add residency to the picture, which means you will have to move again. I am all for people following their passion - but pharmacy is in a terrible place right now and I can’t in good conscience recommend it even if I know someone is passionate about it. There are better alternatives if you want to be involved in healthcare.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO you are in a good position having had kids earlier than later.
I always knew I wanted to devote my career in the medical field and therefore planned my children early so once my kids are all in school I can focus and not have to worry about pausing for pregnancy or newborn. That was just how far I’ve come for this career.

Last edited by a moderator:
What exactly are you passionate about in pharmacy? Retail or hospital (99% of jobs are in these two places)? Consider that if you want hospital, you also have to add residency to the picture, which means you will have to move again. I am all for people following their passion - but pharmacy is in a terrible place right now and I can’t in good conscience recommend it even if I know someone is passionate about it. There are better alternatives if you want to be involved in healthcare.
I’m okay with retail from my experience but I am also interest in hospital and a few other areas however I have not had any experience in them to decide on one just yet.

I don't think you fully understand what you do working in retail pharmacy... I don't know about everyone else but I would definitely not take on 6-figure loans and 4 years of school to gamble on working in retail. You could also ask 4th year pharmacy students and ask for their opinions. I've talked to several of them throughout the years and most are fully aware of how bad the market is and would have picked a different path if given the chance.

I would advise talking to unemployed pharmDs from the class of 2020, 2019, 2018 etc as well.

Posting this type of question here is a good idea in theory, but people here have refined dissuasion from pharm school to doctorate levels. Obviously, the context of your situation has some agreed understanding between you and your spouse so take peoples comments with a grain of salt. Pharm school ranking means absolutely nothing if you want to go into retail, except the fact that better ranked schools tend to have better exam pass rates. So, I would take ranking out of the equation so long as it has a 1st attempt pass rate you're ok with (>90%?), and youre pretty sure your passion is in retail pharmacy (and will likely remain so).

Last edited:
Do garbage men driving the trucks have a passion for waste management? It pays the bills