School versus School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KS_DPT96

Reaction score
Hello everyone, so I've been accepted to a couple of schools and I'm having trouble deciding which one I should choose, so here's the breakdown

School 1: Tuition and fees - $98,000 + COL; out-of-state however it is private so this doesn't increase cost; 56 weeks of clinical experience; class size of 28 with 7 faculty members with PhD's and with teaching as their main career; 100% FIRST-time pass rate on the NPTE; average scholarship of around $4100 per year; very much enjoyed the program on the tour during interview day; all 3rd year students in program have 2+ offers already.

School 2: Tuition and fees - $61,000 with no COL as it is in my hometown; 32 weeks of clinical experience; class size of 50 with unknown number of faculty, however I know one of them just graduated LAST YEAR and is also practicing full-time in an outpatient clinic; 93% FIRST-time pass rate on the NPTE and 96.5% ultimate pass-rate; no scholarship opportunities however you can work as a GA the second year of the program; no interview, thus no tour.

I know that everyone says all you need is the DPT to practice and that everyone is on an equal playing field after that, however, I look at this and it seems I'll be much more ready to practice and I'll receive a much better education at School 1 versus School 2. But, I also hear everyone talk about the debt versus the pay we'll receive and sadly I did obtain some undergraduate (slightly less than the average) and I wonder if I should just go to the cheaper school and save all the money I can. Then again I also have been hearing a lot of "invest in yourself" recently.

Confusing, any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, so I've been accepted to a couple of schools and I'm having trouble deciding which one I should choose, so here's the breakdown

School 1: Tuition and fees - $98,000 + COL; out-of-state however it is private so this doesn't increase cost; 56 weeks of clinical experience; class size of 28 with 7 faculty members with PhD's and with teaching as their main career; 100% FIRST-time pass rate on the NPTE; average scholarship of around $4100 per year; very much enjoyed the program on the tour during interview day; all 3rd year students in program have 2+ offers already.

School 2: Tuition and fees - $61,000 with no COL as it is in my hometown; 32 weeks of clinical experience; class size of 50 with unknown number of faculty, however I know one of them just graduated LAST YEAR and is also practicing full-time in an outpatient clinic; 93% FIRST-time pass rate on the NPTE and 96.5% ultimate pass-rate; no scholarship opportunities however you can work as a GA the second year of the program; no interview, thus no tour.

I know that everyone says all you need is the DPT to practice and that everyone is on an equal playing field after that, however, I look at this and it seems I'll be much more ready to practice and I'll receive a much better education at School 1 versus School 2. But, I also hear everyone talk about the debt versus the pay we'll receive and sadly I did obtain some undergraduate (slightly less than the average) and I wonder if I should just go to the cheaper school and save all the money I can. Then again I also have been hearing a lot of "invest in yourself" recently.

Confusing, any insight?
For me personally, I am hoping to get into the school in my hometown so I can save money and live at home. This also reduces the stress of food, rent, etc. Saving money is my main concern. School 2 still has great pass rates and stats compared to school 1. As you said, all you need is the DPT. Passing the test is mostly on you if you can study and stay up to track with all the material. If I were you, I'd pick school 2, because of the difference in tuition.

Reactions: 1 user