Schools knowing about other schools you're applying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilikevegetables

cookie monster's cousin
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it matter if schools know what other schools you apply to? I know that AMCAS doesn't tell them what other schools you're applying to, but if they find out through other means, i.e. MDapps/SDN profiles, do you think it'd matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Does it matter if schools know what other schools you apply to? I know that AMCAS doesn't tell them what other schools you're applying to, but if they find out through other means, i.e. MDapps/SDN profiles, do you think it'd matter?

It probably does not matter. Adcoms understand you cannot just apply to one school, so I do not think it would matter if they knew specifically what other schools you were applying to.

Members don't see this ad :)
It definitely can.. say you are applying to an average mid tier state school called X and you have listed that you have been accepted at 6 or so schools already some of which that are considered "better" than X state school, X state school might take someone over you because it looks like you most likely won't attend with so many acceptances already. Same thing if you have had 10 interviews already they might think the likelihood of you choosing their school is slim.

Obviously if you have amazing credentials and you are a perfect fit for them, they will very likely accept you, but when you are an average applicant or have border line stats (basically when the school has lots of applicants that look like yours or better and they have the choice to take someone else just like you very easily) it can definitely make a difference.

If it didn't make a difference AT ALL, I don't think so many people on MD App's would make such a serious effort to hide their stats or make their application so vague by not putting any extracurricular's down until the cycle is over.

It may not be a huge deal, but why put your application at any risks?

Also, AAMC will actually release some info to medical schools. On February 10, schools at which you have been accepted can see your other acceptances. On April 1, all schools to which you have applied will see your acceptances.

Here is an interesting powerpoint from a "higher-up's" point of view. See slide 32 for the above info. Also, interestingly, it does seem as though AMCAS is taking longer to verify primaries this year......see slide 25.

As far as whether or not it matters...if, come April, a school wants to offer you an acceptance, it may not choose to give up that spot to you if it feels you have already been accepted by an institution you are more likely to attend.

Last edited:
Thanks guys - definitely some food for thought. February is earlier than I thought that info went out... it does seem like that, MDapps etc. could affect things.

I wouldn't go blabbering about it on interviews though.

+1. Definitely be wary of this. I met a guy at an interview who would not stop blabbing about his interview at Yale, how amazing the school was, details about the interviewer, the campus...all in the admissions office right in front of the admissions and financial aid staff. You never know who's listening, and it's not just your interviewers who have influence on your admission.