schools that do not give merit scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duck2005

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
know of any?
know if Columbia/Cornell/Yale/UCLA have merit-based scholarships?

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is no for the first three you named. Not sure about UCLA. They may all have generous need-based aid, however.

Merit-based scholarships are more generally found at non-Ivy name schools in the midwest or south. They're the ones who need to lure people over.

harvard definitely does not give merit scholarships. neither does dartmouth, from what i can remember.

Members don't see this ad :)
CarleneM said:
harvard definitely does not give merit scholarships. neither does dartmouth, from what i can remember.

This bit of information has ruined my excitement about going to my Harvard interview. Honestly, maybe I am just wasting my money interviewing at these schools. I have made a decision that I am not taking loans period.

Say if you had a scholarship, is it possible to "bargain" with another school: you know, like I really, really want to go to impossibly-hard-to-get-into-school-X but school Y has offered me a full ride and so forth?

CarlosMielefan said:
This bit of information has ruined my excitement about going to my Harvard interview. Honestly, maybe I am just wasting my money interviewing at these schools. I have made a decision that I am not taking loans period.

Say if you had a scholarship, is it possible to "bargain" with another school: you know, like I really, really want to go to impossibly-hard-to-get-into-school-X but school Y has offered me a full ride and so forth?

You can try but since school gets lots of applicants with similar quality, they can just say we'll pick another one.

CarlosMielefan said:

harvard undergrad was the same way but i have to say, for undergrad, harvard was very generous with their financial aid and that was one of the main reasons i attended. it was all need based but however they calculated need was better than at other schools. i don't think bargaining is possible in most cases for harvard although maybe in extreme cases it could happen. i would still go to your interview and see how you like it.