schools to apply/stay away from

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaikai128

Yes SIR. ;-)
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to determine which DO schools to apply to and am just getting lost in a lot of paperwork (sorry if you have been through this before). I am looking specifically at the private schools. I don't want to start a fight, but if anyone could give me an honest opinion as to the schools that I should Definatly apply to, or those to stay away from...I would greatly appreaciate it. Feel free to private message me with your opinion. Once again, thanks.
Kai

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to VCOM. The staff and upper classmen are awesome. Plus the building is brand new and everyone there is dedicated to having the school be a huge success.

Honestly, I really think you are going to get a biased answer to that question. Personally, I like PCOM, NYCOM, and KCOM. I am not a fan of LECOM (my personal opinion, but what the hell do I know), but if you want warm weather LECOM-Florida is an option as well as NSUCOM and COMP. Some will say AZCOM, PCSOM, OSUCOM, ..... You get the drift. If many people reply to this thread you will probably hear every school mentioned in both a positive way and a negative way.

Now let me ask you a question or few.
What do you want out of a school?
How much are you willing to pay?
Of the schools out there, what cities would you not want to live in?
What state are you from?
Do you know anyone (faculty, adjuncts) at any of the schools?
What size class do you want to be in?
How strong of an applicant are you? It may not be wise to be picky if your application is not strong, and I do not mean just the raw numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as applicants go, I presume that i am fairly typical...GPA both science and non-science approx 3.5, MCAT 26Q, 4 years of hospital experience, and probably average volunteer experience. Price is not really an issue, I have full intentions of applying for the HPSP scholarship with the AF and am confident with their acceptance rates. I am indifferent on class size. I would prefer to live in a city environment and somewhere warm but the decision of where I go to school will be not be based significantly on location. I plan to apply fairly wide, but need to narrow out at least a few schools.

Are you interested in primary care or a specialty?
Would you be interested in a non-lecture based learning experience, ie LECOM and LECOM-FL's PBL and ISP programs?

Honestly, if nothing really matters to you, then what else is there for you to look at other than location?

Frankly, I am simply interested in getting the best education possible in the four years that I will be in medical school. I do well in learning situations that usually involve breaking the material down into smaller groups...ie study groups after lectures, etc. As to a specialty, I do not want to limit myself to family practice...I am not entirely sure what I will end up doing. I want to be in a program that will give me good exposure to all parts of medicine, from past experience...uninformed decisions are usually poor. I want a chance to be emerged in a section of medicine before choosing it as my lifelong career.

kaikai128 said:
Frankly, I am simply interested in getting the best education possible in the four years that I will be in medical school. I do well in learning situations that usually involve breaking the material down into smaller groups...ie study groups after lectures, etc. As to a specialty, I do not want to limit myself to family practice...I am not entirely sure what I will end up doing. I want to be in a program that will give me good exposure to all parts of medicine, from past experience...uninformed decisions are usually poor. I want a chance to be emerged in a section of medicine before choosing it as my lifelong career.

Sounds to me based on your comment about liking small group learning perhaps somewhere that offers the PBL curriculum would be the right fit. I don't know much about it, but it sounds as though LECOM-FL (like nicedream said) might be a good fit. It is a new school though, but LECOM produces some good docs so I wouldn't be too worried about it. I know there are a few people on here that are going there next year perhaps they could give you some more info.

dont apply to berkeley

As DOroe said, it sounds like you might like the PBL pathway at LECOM and LECOM-FL. You can PM me or IM me for details, but essentially the first 13(?) weeks you take lecture-based classes, anatomy, histo, embryo etc. Then the rest of the 2 first yrs you are in a group of 8, facilitated by a faculty member, and you study with a case-based approach.

I think, essentially, the "quality of education" at all medical schools is fairly consistent. I don't think you'll find any schools which are deficient, except perhaps Howard and Meharry (so I've heard).
Since you aren't focused on primary care alone, and want a wide clinical experience to decide what you want to specialize in, I would focus on what schools have a lot of diverse rotation sites. LECOM (and I only keep mentioning it because it's where I am going so I know the most about it) has a huge huge number of rotations sites around the eastern US.
There are some DO schools which focus more on primary care from what I understand - PCSOM, VCOM, WVCOM, and UNECOM if I'm not mistaken. There have been complaints as well from AZCOM students about difficulty in getting good rotations.

These are just some random comments.

I think generally the longer a school has been around, the more solid its reputation is, if only because of its history. CCOM and PCOM are both in metro areas with many other medical schools and are two of the oldest osteo schools.

Something to think about is where the rotations are. I can only speak for the 3 DO schools in the western part of the US since I know them the best and I've interviewed at all of them. I spefically asked where the rotations can be done at all three schools.

Both at TUCOM and AZCOM, you will do your rotations not in the same area as the school and many times very far away from the school. You may have to go out of state often times. The reason is the schools are new and the MD schools that are already in the area get exclusive rights to the hospitals in the area.

For COMP, since it's a bit older, it has established itself and you can rotate at the same general hospitals in southern CA as the southern CA MD students do.

Go to: Une Une Une Une Une

gioia said:
Une Une Une Une Une

ummmm is that to apply to or stay away from? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
JKDMed said:
Don't apply to Nova, VCOM, CCOM, NYCOM, LECOM, LECOM-Fl, DMU, KCOM, and PCOM :D

sooo....you like TUCOM, TUCOM-Vegas, UNECOM, AZCOM and COMP right?

Definately apply to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College. Famous alumni include Dr. Nick Riviera.

Also, look into wherever Moe Scyzlak (yep, he's a surgeon) went, especially if you want to specialize in the surgical sampler.

Oh, I almost forgot to add my future school to the list. OUCOM has PBL, is affiliated with something like 12 hospitals around the state of Ohio, and I will be there :D . I did not mention it earlier because of your comment about wanting a warm climate. That and OUCOM makes out of state applicants sign a contract to practice medicine in OH for 5 years.

JKDMed said:
Nope, I was telling him the schools I plan on applying to.

Man...if I had more brain cells working I would ahve realized this....I think I need a nap.

Robz said:
ummmm is that to apply to or stay away from? :)

Uh, oops :cool: ,

I edited my post!

UNE all the way........................................................................

I would suggest that anyone applying DO should go to Either OSU-CHS or to Michigan COM as I was accepted to both and after basically just tossing a coin came to OSU-CHS. OSU (oklahoma) is ranked in the top 30 for primary care schools and it is a top notch DO school. If you are interested in doing a lot of OMT you might decide to go to Michigan (ranked in top ten for primary care) as OSU is a little weak in that area. However, OSU has something that no other schools have, that being the great Edward Goljan for our Pathology. Man that guy is awesome....and passing boards will not be a problem. Just my two cents.

Even though I bought the US News rankings and read the whole thing (10 bucks worth!) I don't put a whole lot of emphasis on where places ranked. It is nice for some schools to get recognition though.

Backpacker-DO2B said:
I would suggest that anyone applying DO should go to Either OSU-CHS or to Michigan COM as I was accepted to both and after basically just tossing a coin came to OSU-CHS.

I would apply to MSUCOM, but I can't get Michigan residency anymore. I would also apply to OSU, but both schools are not too friendly to Canadians.

I wish MSUCOM had one of those "you can come to MSUCOM as a Canadian but you will have to practice in Michigan for x years." I do it in a heartbeat.

gioia said:
Uh, oops :cool: ,

I edited my post!

UNE all the way........................................................................

YEAH!
UNECOM is great: friendly people, awesome OMT, great professors in a lot of subjects, ocean view while you toil away in the library, the best lit/least smelly anatomy lab anywhere, cost of living in maine is cheap, lots of good rotation opportunities, increasing focus on research to go with the Primary Care foundation, our 2nd years hold reviews for us in anatomy that are priceless, there's a OMT clinic in our building that we can use for free, the ocean is pretty, etc etc etc....:-D

Dollar, as a matter of fact one of the biggest characters in our class and one of my favorite people is a canadian, and as much as think he is great he wasn't the strongest candidate. So as I said it might even be to your advantage to have that crazy accent. Aye?

OSU-CHS
MS 2.8456

"You DO's are great, if you don't use that OMT and your extra knowledge then you don't know Dork!"
The Great Edward Goljan, M.D.
Professor of Pathology and Scatalogical humor

Don't use USNews rankings when deciding your school. They do not make a school better then another.

fullefect1 said:
Don't use USNews rankings when deciding your school. They do not make a school better than another.

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's like relying on Consumer Reports for every purchase one considers: criteria based on opinion - helpful but not gospel.

I will also say UNE. Love the people and the curriculum is solid. We have the second highest class hours out of any medical school for anatomy. Anyhow thats just my two cents. I also love New England for the other reasons Oceandoc and Gioia stated.
I would say WVSOM is a close second in my book.

Choose a well established school that has established clinical rotations (check the websites) and has a solid reputation.
Both location and tuition are obviously important considerations, but when applying to residencies both numbers, LOR's, and school reputation play roles. Ultimately interviewing and getting a "feel" of the school may be the best way to decide if the program is right for you.

Apply to LECOM - Bradenton. You've got the excellent PBL curriculum and you're 10-15 minutes away from the nicest beaches on Florida's gulf coast. Also, great rotation options and faculty.

I second DocRadak's opinion-FLECOM's rotations are pretty impressive! Can't beat FLorida either!

mickdogg81 said:
I second DocRadak's opinion-FLECOM's rotations are pretty impressive! Can't beat FLorida either!

:laugh: Unless you've lived there! :laugh:

FLECOM is one of the schools on the top of my list right now...for the reasons you have stated. UNE, I have heard great things...but do not know if it will be the right environment for me. Does UNE have the PBL that FLECOM has??? Thanks everyone for your input...greatly appreciated.

gioia said:
:laugh: Unless you've lived there! :laugh:

What are you talking about? I've lived here my whole life, and there's no better place in the world. (and I've seen much of it)

I guess you just like freezing your ass off, scraping ice off your windshield, shoveling driveways, and wearing clothes that weigh more than you.

(nicedream) said:
What are you talking about? I've lived here my whole life, and there's no better place in the world. (and I've seen much of it)

I guess you just like freezing your ass off, scraping ice off your windshield, shoveling driveways, and wearing clothes that weigh more than you.

What is the saying: 'Different strokes for different folks'?

I have lived around much of the world, as well, and beg to differ. However, I appreciate your diverse opinion. Diversity is the spice of life - in topography/geography and the animal kingom....

...And it is nice to know that whenever I want to, I can visit my condo - yes, located on the gulf coast with breathtaking views of the sunset- and then leave when I'm bored. :D

Check out schools' 2004 match lists and go from there. 3rd year at AZCOM is rough for sure. 4th year is the best one out there.

All said and done no complaints here.

gioia said:
What is the saying: 'Different strokes for different folks'?

I have lived around much of the world, as well, and beg to differ. However, I appreciate your diverse opinion. Diversity is the spice of life - in topography/geography and the animal kingom....

...And it is nice to know that whenever I want to, I can visit my condo - yes, located on the gulf coast with breathtaking views of the sunset- and then leave when I'm bored. :D

Diff strokes for diff folks indeed. I just took it from your post "not if you've lived there" that you plain didn't like Fla. By the way, a med student with a condo? Must be nice.

I lived in orlando for around 4 years and there are some things I really really like about Florida....and some things I really really hate.

Overall I love it there and it was one of the main reason I wanted to go to medical school there. Each place its great for those students that have piced it and yes there are different strokes for different folks....

I hate snow and cold and I know many of my frineds love them. Go fig.

(nicedream) said:
Diff strokes for diff folks indeed. I just took it from your post "not if you've lived there" that you plain didn't like Fla. By the way, a med student with a condo? Must be nice.

You forgot to consider the ":laugh:" on the either side of "not if you lived there".

:luck:

I'd probably get ripped for this one but what the hell right ?

GO TO NYCOM.... =)

It is cold in the winter time, you get to play in the snow... watch the thanksgiving macy parade live in person, go to TIME square for New years in person, and if you plan on going through a ghetto neighborhood in bronx, brooklyn, queens, or manhattan, you get a good mugging experience. hahaha..

You get to meet TONS of people because NYCOM has 2nd largest student pop. 1st being UMDNJ... and the teaching is fine. You get to study on your own, notes are given to you in advance and the best thing is... we have streaming videos. If you miss an 8am class.. don't worry, just watch it at 5pm on the internet.

Brand new OMM facility and great OMM teachers, even got one from UNE, and PCOM. Good length in anatomy, spanding from august till end of feburary.

Close to New York City, and FANTASTIC rotation experiences. You get to rotate through 5 boroughs of NYC, including Long Island, and several hospitals in NJ and half a dozen hospitals in upstate NY. All for the cost of 30k a year which you can Charge on your CC... but for all the experience mentioned above... PRICELESS.!!!

COme join the NYCOM family.... we love each other... and hopefully you too. =)

P.S. if you want specifics on ciriculum, rotation and residency programs, you can msg me and I'll try my best to answer all your questions.

Want good board scores? AZCOM seems to have a pretty good trend compared to other schools.

Everyone, thank you so much for your replies...greatly appreciated. I think that i am at least close to finishing off the list of schools i am going to apply to...and the ones that i for sure want to interview at if that option is given. Thanks again.
Kai