Schools with downloadable video lectures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you attend a school that allows downloadable video lectures? I'm trying to compile a list or discover some possibilities for a cohesive argument before I start. I understand if you are uncomfortable with stating what school you attend on here and all that stuff. If you rather pm me it is fine.

Heck, just talking about how the school does it in general without names is fine too.

Members don't see this ad.

Where I attended medical school and where I currently teach both have video(Lectures, grand rounds and teaching conferences) available for download by students, residents and anyone affiliated with our medical center. We use a program called Camtasia that does the video capture. This is nothing new or "cutting edge" as most schools provide something like this.

We use a program called Tegrity. It is integrated through Blackboard. It is available as an app on the iPhone, iPod Touch. Downloadable content isn't available, but streaming is. Since you're more than likely going to be around an active connection it shouldn't be a problem, right? It cuts out the mess of a camera pointed at a screen. Instead, it records the mic input in realtime with slides on screen. Any annotations to the slide are also seen (highlighting, writing, etc). The content is uploaded to a server at the end of lecture to be streamed. It works well for us with a lot of people streaming at the same time.

Members don't see this ad :)
WashU baybay!

We get videos of lectures (a camera pointed at the screen + podium) posted online each night. We also get audio recordings of the lectures (.mp3) posted nightly. I almost never go to class, it's great. I actually save time by downloading lectures and watching them later at 1.7x speed. Also, I can sleep in every day until like noon.

It's similar at UM. We have a choice of streamed lectures, downloadable lectures, .mp3, or panopto which links the video with the appropriate powerpoint slide among other things.

Wayne State has full video streaming and MP3's if that's what floats your boat. All notes, slides, pictures and other supplemental information is posted online as well.

On a side note, I don't really make it too school unless it is required :thumbup:

We use a program called Tegrity. It is integrated through Blackboard. It is available as an app on the iPhone, iPod Touch. Downloadable content isn't available, but streaming is. Since you're more than likely going to be around an active connection it shouldn't be a problem, right? It cuts out the mess of a camera pointed at a screen. Instead, it records the mic input in realtime with slides on screen. Any annotations to the slide are also seen (highlighting, writing, etc). The content is uploaded to a server at the end of lecture to be streamed. It works well for us with a lot of people streaming at the same time.

We use Tegrity too, though I'm not a huge fan. I actually attend the lectures. :eek:

WashU baybay!

We get videos of lectures (a camera pointed at the screen + podium) posted online each night. We also get audio recordings of the lectures (.mp3) posted nightly. I almost never go to class, it's great. I actually save time by downloading lectures and watching them later at 1.7x speed. Also, I can sleep in every day until like noon.

thats sweet i almost wish i was in medical school in this day and age.. but no not really because by the time you got graduate and finish residency, its gonna be pitiful.

anyway, I had to go the the library to duplicate a cassette of the lecture when i was inschool What a pain right? but i ended up just going to 20 percent of the lectures which was fantastic. I didnt do that great but i passed

Do any schools have video lectures that can be downloaded by anyone? My school doesn't have any video lectures, but I would be extremely grateful to download videos created by other schools since mine doesn't provide this resource. I struggle with attention/focus issues, and know it would be extremely helpful to me if I could watch videos online, and stop and rewind them as needed. Physiology, anatomy and histology are currently the classes I'd like to find videos on. Thanks!

I'd like to update what I said above. Tegrity does allow a download feature. I logged on for the first time yesterday to find that it is allowed. I know its nerdy, but the iProduct integration seems ingenious to me. On top of Tegrity we have mp3 recordings and a scribe service.

Do any schools have video lectures that can be downloaded by anyone? My school doesn't have any video lectures, but I would be extremely grateful to download videos created by other schools since mine doesn't provide this resource. I struggle with attention/focus issues, and know it would be extremely helpful to me if I could watch videos online, and stop and rewind them as needed. Physiology, anatomy and histology are currently the classes I'd like to find videos on. Thanks!

At our school (and most US schools) access to educational materials is limited to the students who have been accepted, are registered and have paid tuition. Most of my colleagues do not want general distribution of their lectures (consider them intellectual property and have copyrighted them) therefore, for a student to allow access is unauthorized distribution of intellectual property. We ask them to sign an agreement that they will download lectures for personal use and will not mass distribute them. Most, if not all, of our students have had not problems with this agreement.

I can tell you that some of my Pathology lectures ended up at an offshore medical school with another person's name on them. How do I know this? I use my own photos from my surgeries/pathological specimens. My guess is that most professors feel the same way and have no problem providing videos for students that are attending the institutions that employ them but will not export curriculum materials to offshore institutions.

If your school doesn't provide video lectures, you might negotiate with them to provide this service to their students as they are a good study tool. My guess is that if they begin to do this, they won't want to broadcast these to anyone online but just to registered students.

Do any of you attend a school that allows downloadable video lectures? I'm trying to compile a list or discover some possibilities for a cohesive argument before I start. I understand if you are uncomfortable with stating what school you attend on here and all that stuff. If you rather pm me it is fine.

Heck, just talking about how the school does it in general without names is fine too.

A cohesive argument for what, exactly? Wright State has downloadable lectures, both audio and video, offered only to current students with password access. Drawbacks: labs and supplementary review sessions are not taped.

To the OP:

Western University uses APRESO to sych up audio, a video camera pointed at the lecture console, and what ever is displayed on the lecture PC (i.e. powerpoint slides). The system here is set up to records the lecture halls in hour chunks (so if the lecture is 8am-10am, there will be an 8am link and a 9am link) from 8-12 and 1-6pm (12-1pm is lunch time every day) and automatically upload them to Blackboard. If the program is working properly (we moved into a new building this semester and there's been issues. However it was extremely reliable in the old building), lectures are generally posted within a half hour after the lecture. So the 8-9am lecture is normally up by 9:30am. Additionally, a Quicktime backup video of the slides syched to audio is also posted and can be downloaded.

At my current school even powerpoints were not though microsoft office's powerpoint but PDFs in one class because they were afraid that people would copyright the powerpoint which was annoying cuz I like to type directly in the notes section just beneath the slides in microsoft powerpoint, but whatever. it is what it is.

Microsoft One Note allows you to "print" files (such as PDF, Word, and Powerpoint) to it and allows you to add text and write (if you have a tablet PC or writing tablet) directly onto it.

U of AZ doesn't have them either. Arizona is behind the times... I would love to have video lectures; sometimes podcasts just don't cut it.

Microsoft One Note allows you to "print" files (such as PDF, Word, and Powerpoint) to it and allows you to add text and write (if you have a tablet PC or writing tablet) directly onto it.

It is difficult to print PDFs to one note with a 64 bit OS for PC, so i'd recommend future medical students to get a laptop that is 32 bit OS if they plan on using onenote.