schools with dress code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bob_Loblaw

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am attending south next year and they have a dress code. What are you supposed to wear?

Members don't see this ad.

Bob_Loblaw said:
i am attending south next year and they have a dress code. What are you supposed to wear?

Did you sleep through your interview or something?

It's also in your packet

but if you really want to know, we have to dress in formal wear every day

Caverject said:
Did you sleep through your interview or something?

It's also in your packet

but if you really want to know, we have to dress in formal wear every day

are you serious?

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyday seems a little extreme, but I dont think its uncommon for schools to make you dress up for some classes/functions.

patmcd said:
Everyday seems a little extreme, but I dont think its uncommon for schools to make you dress up for some classes/functions.
We go to school year round

And you thought THAT was extreme!

I never understood why a piece of cloth around your neck = professional.

I can understand dressing neat and business casual but a freaking tie... EVERYDAY?!?!?!

museabuse said:
I never understood why a piece of cloth around your neck = professional.

I can understand dressing neat and business casual but a freaking tie... EVERYDAY?!?!?!
You'll get used to it. I used to work a job where I had to wear a tie every day, and after a while you dont notice.

patmcd said:
You'll get used to it. I used to work a job where I had to wear a tie every day, and after a while you dont notice.

I agree! I used to be a prefect (in some posh British system school), and we had to wear neckties all the time. It felt stuffy for a while, but after a while I got used to it. And it got to the point where I felt a little insecure whenever I didn't have it on! (Plus, they were really good for hiding hickies ... this was way back when I was in high school, so you'll have to excuse me. :scared: )

I don't think it's supposed to be that formal. I was thinking business casual, not suit and tie. No jeans.

patmcd said:
I am not a tie person thats why I liked Osco. But now CVS bought them out and I think you have to wear a tie. If I have to it will be the same clip on tie I keep on the front seat of my car that I wear every day. :eek:

museabuse said:
I am not a tie person thats why I liked Osco. But now CVS bought them out and I think you have to wear a tie. If I have to it will be the same clip on tie I keep on the front seat of my car that I wear every day. :eek:

NOOOOOOOOO not the clip on. :eek: They look so tacky! And its not hard to tell if someone is wearing one. Clip tie does not equal looking professional.

patmcd said:
NOOOOOOOOO not the clip on. :eek: They look so tacky! And its not hard to tell if someone is wearing one. Clip tie does not equal looking professional.

Actually, I agree. I will wear a clip-on if required to wear a tie everyday. I can't make a regular tie comfortable. If we all wear clip-ons and we all look awful, ties will go away. If they come out with a rule that we can't wear clip-ons, I will start wearing bow-ties. If they decide bow-ties are out. I will leave a tie in the middle of Colorado Blvd for three hours and wear that one everyday.

Ties are the worst. I'm continually dragging them through my food (it IS a mini-napkin after all). I continually feel like I can't breath. I can't tie the knot in the damn things (the best I can do is a half-windsor, full-windsor knots end up with the tie about half-way down my chest). No TIES!

We should require women to wear ties. (And, no, I won't wear panty-house. You ladies can usually get away with pants and can wear knee-highs (nylon socks) with them - so that argument doesn't fly.) If we make this a requirement, we will soon be rid of ties forever.

:laugh:

Troy

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need a tie clip twester You'd better learn to love them, I think one of my friends that goes there said that you have to dress up ~1 week for stuff.

Wow, ties are THAT bad, Troy?! AVOID THE CLIP ON AT ALL COSTS!

Mongoos150 said:
Wow, ties are THAT bad, Troy?! AVOID THE CLIP ON AT ALL COSTS!
At least someone agrees with me :)

But twester you can wear a clip on only if you stand next to me all day so I look good with my real tie on :p

patmcd said:
At least someone agrees with me :)

But twester you can wear a clip on only if you stand next to me all day so I look good with my real tie on :p

It's a deal.

And yes, I hate them that much. I only own one and I curse it every minute it's on. At least with a clip-on my dazzling personality will shine through rather than the cursing, grumbling curmudgeon. :laugh:

Seriously, I'll do what I have to do - but will bend rules wherever possible in order to be comfortable in the clothes I have to wear.

I personally dont think ties are that big of a deal. Although I dont mind dressing up either. We have to wear shirt & tie everyday also, except on lab days in which we will wear scrubs. It looks as if we will be in scrubs more often than ties! :rolleyes: I dont know, I guess I really dont care............I got accepted! :cool:

museabuse said:

Nobody over the age of 10 should even think about owning a clip-on. The only thing worse is a regular tie that goes only halfway down the chest.

imperial frog said:
Nobody over the age of 10 should even think about owning a clip-on. The only thing worse is a regular tie that goes only halfway down the chest.

I can be more professional than the guy in a three piece suit with my clip on tie! So there!

110 degrees in the summer and I am supposed to put another piece of clothing around my neck?!?!?! Unbutton my shirt a few buttlons and clip the tie onto the shirt somewhere I am good to go.

I perfer khakis and a polo shirt while I am at work... hey wait... maybe I can clip the tie onto my polo shirt... will that work?

museabuse said:
I can be more professional than the guy in a three piece suit with my clip on tie! So there!

110 degrees in the summer and I am supposed to put another piece of clothing around my neck?!?!?! Unbutton my shirt a few buttlons and clip the tie onto the shirt somewhere I am good to go.

I perfer khakis and a polo shirt while I am at work... hey wait... maybe I can clip the tie onto my polo shirt... will that work?

It has nothing to do with making you professional and everything to do with not making you look like a clown.

And I'll match your 110 degrees with Florida's 100 degrees plus the 90% humidity. The tie acts as a sweatband to stop your shirt from getting drenched.

Bob_Loblaw said:

Wear either a Metallica or AC/DC t-shirt.

I hate that there is a dress code. When we are professionals we will have the money to dress like them. Plus, we'll get to hide behind a coat. I am a roll out of bed, throw on a t-shirt and jeans kind of person. I guess I'll be spending some money this summer...better get a job.

I understand dressing for functions, clinicals and stuff...it's just...do I really have to look all spiffy when I'm in a classroom learning?

I guess it will be good practice, but expensive pain in the butt practice.

200px-WillFerrell.jpg