Science gpa application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floatingribs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can see why the sGPA is important to med schools esp when comparing non-science majors to science ones, but how exactly is it reflected in reported data by universities or the AAMC? If one isn't majoring in a subject that would be counted towards the sGPA, is it better to just use your science gpa when comparing oneself to the universities/AAMCs data?

I'm having trouble finding info on med/do schools and AAMCs showing any sGPA info (besides a couple of med school sites, but it doesn't seem to be uniform), so I wanted to know how to factor that in as a non-science major when interpreting charts and searching about schools. (also if you guys have any good links to charts comparing acceptances to sGPA, pls share!)

Members don't see this ad.

If you get a copy of the MSAR, you'll have all the data you requested, and then some!

Reactions: 1 user
As above, go buy a MSAR subscription, it is the single most valuable resource to have when deciding where to apply. sGPA is only a part of your app, as is cGPA and MCAT and ECs - but making sure you sGPA is inside the typical admit range for the schools on your list is 100% necessary.

Reactions: 1 users
As a non-science major, you want your sGPA to be on the higher side of the programs you apply to. By the nature of your application you have a smaller sample set of grades to be assessed on. Your 3.5 and science major's 3.5 are not equal. If they have 80 credits of science curriculum compared to your 32, that means they averaged at least 10 A/A- compared to your 4 A/A- (assuming 4 credit hours/class). They have more As than the total number of courses you took. When AdComs have to assess your ability to thrive with the course load, this can be a determining factor. Having a stellar AO and cGPA certainly won't hurt you, but it shouldn't be the first metric you use.

Reactions: 1 users