Science GPA Concern/Clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharkbyte

Take me to the top
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new on here and I thought I'd keep it relatively short. I got B's in my science classes freshman year (general biology and general chemistry) and it set me back quite a bit. I resolved to do better but then hit another wall as my dad passed away suddenly last year (sophomore) and it shook me up a lot.

However, since his death I have rebounded; after getting a B in my first semester of Ochem, I got A-'s in molecular biology and Physics I and another A- this semester in Ochem II. I'm awaiting another science course grade but my science GPA should be about 3.45 when grades come out tomorrow.

I have three more semesters left and am looking at ~6 science courses total remaining. If I keep up the good work my goal is to finish with about a 3.6 science GPA and possibly a 3.65 if I get straight A's (not a guarantee by any means, but a possibility).

My main question is, is a 3.6-3.65 considered pretty good for science GPA? I know that the standards are increasing as admission becomes more competitive but I have solid EC's and my cumulative GPA right now is about 3.6. I still need to take the MCAT, but would a 3.6 be competitive for BCPM or is it on the lower end?

Members don't see this ad.

a 3.6 is the average gpa for matriculants homie, you should be fine.

It's an average sGPA. Won't get you any pluses but won't really hurt you either. Make sure to put a lot of effort into the MCAT. A 26-28 MCAT would erase all that effort you put into to raise that 3.4-->3.6.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is average, but many people get in with 3.3-3.4 sGPAs, so you will be fine, even if it doesn't get up as high as you would like.

I think the fact that you've made progress since you dealt with such an intense hardship really speaks for itself; and you've been motivated to do better. Medical schools will look at the upward trends in your transcript and give you credit for it. Don't fret about what has already happened with your grades; aim for those A's and then focus on the MCAT when the time comes; break 30 and you'll hopefully be okay! Just stay motivated and optimistic, work hard, and relax because you have not screwed anything up yet at all; your grades are decent and will only get better as you continue studying hard. Best of luck!