Scope of Practice and Future of Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

Mil1

Question to all Podiatric Residents and Physicians/Surgeons. In your professional opinion, where do you see the profession going in 5-10 years from now? Do you believe the scope of practice and parity between other providers with respect to equal reimbursements for identical procedures offered, will be equal across the 50 states?

I'm a nontrad and will be applying Pod school soon. For better or for worse, I think you guys are doing amazing things for your patients and your profession. I can only see it going up, if only bright young professionals such as those in this forum are in place to take it to the next level. You guys rock!

Mil1

Members don't see this ad.

We are actually looking into botox, brain surgery and back massages.

We are actually looking into botox, brain surgery and back massages.

Why?

The guy applauds your profession and hopes to join it one day and you give him this for his trouble.

OP just wanted some serious feedback. Sure he could have done a search, but really did he deserve that comment?

Try a little professional courtesy!

Members don't see this ad :)
J Dub...Don't worry about it. I can take a joke every now and then, even if it's a bad one! I've dealt with alot of silly jokes in my military career. It's all in good fun. No big deal. Like I said, I just wanted a professional opinion or a consensus, from those who have been working (residency or practice) in the field. I just value more of the opinion of POD residents and physicians/surgeons than your typical pre-med or pod student.

And yes, I've done my own research, shadowed, interviewed, etc. And yes, I've done my pre-reqs, completed graduate degrees, work experience, etc. I'm a non-trad (old guy, not that old!), and not a pre-med (in the typical sense).

Mil1

Question to all Podiatric Residents and Physicians/Surgeons. In your professional opinion, where do you see the profession going in 5-10 years from now? Do you believe the scope of practice and parity between other providers with respect to equal reimbursements for identical procedures offered, will be equal across the 50 states?

I'm a nontrad and will be applying Pod school soon. For better or for worse, I think you guys are doing amazing things for your patients and your profession. I can only see it going up, if only bright young professionals such as those in this forum are in place to take it to the next level. You guys rock!

Mil1

Well, our reimbursements are already equal to other providers, so that should make the profession even more appealing. :thumbup:

If there is a disparity of payments between providers, it's due to the contract and how you negotiate the reimbursement fees, not due to your training or profession. This can exist between podiatrists who work right next door to each other.

I was told years ago by a DPM to go offshore and do Family Practice before going to a USA DPM school. It scared me and I've been confused ever since. Will there continue to be restrictions on insurance billing for DPM's or are they gaining acceptance/reimbursements to stand with Ortho surgeons in admitting to hospitals or treating similar ailments?

Sounds like you may have been talking to a disgruntled pod. Most pods I know are happy with their decision to practice podiatry. Keep in mind that a podiatrist is the expert on the lower extremity. Podiatrists outnumber orthopods and provide most of the foot care in the US. Podiatrists do more than bunions and corns. They do trauma, derm, ortho,etc in regards to the foot and ankle. With that being said, orthopods aren't really a podiatrist's competition.