This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rusalochkaa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergraduate student currently looking into the PT profession and I am most interested in manual therapy/ortho. I've read the APTA manipulation/mobilization articles and they state that there is conflict between chiropractors and physical therapists in that area.

I have been to a chiropractor before (I felt that he was evidence-based and got rid of my headaches) and I am really interested in the way that they can "adjust" the spine and neck to get people to feel better. I know that PT's are not allowed to "adjust", but is the manipulation/mobilization that a PT can do similar to that of a chiropractor? I would love to focus on the skeletal system as well as the muscles as a PT and work with the spine as well as other extremities to improve mobility/pain. Is this within the scope of a PT?

(Also, lets not have a debate about chiros, I've read threads where people go into full on arguments and I just want my question to be answered. I know about the problems in the chiropractic world, that's why I want to be an evidence-based PT.)

Members don't see this ad.

Joint mobilizations are well under the scope of PT practice.

I am an undergraduate student currently looking into the PT profession and I am most interested in manual therapy/ortho. I've read the APTA manipulation/mobilization articles and they state that there is conflict between chiropractors and physical therapists in that area.

I have been to a chiropractor before (I felt that he was evidence-based and got rid of my headaches) and I am really interested in the way that they can "adjust" the spine and neck to get people to feel better. I know that PT's are not allowed to "adjust", but is the manipulation/mobilization that a PT can do similar to that of a chiropractor? I would love to focus on the skeletal system as well as the muscles as a PT and work with the spine as well as other extremities to improve mobility/pain. Is this within the scope of a PT?

(Also, lets not have a debate about chiros, I've read threads where people go into full on arguments and I just want my question to be answered. I know about the problems in the chiropractic world, that's why I want to be an evidence-based PT.)

Yes, it's similar and yes what you're asking is well within physical therapy practice scope.

You were likely treated for cervicogenic headache.

An "adjustment" for a "subluxation" lacks good literature to my understanding. Manipulation works for pain management if orthopaedic, but there are placebo effects as well.....and it can be only acute management if proper education, postural changes, or therapeutic exercise plans aren't provided in conjunction with it.

Manual therapy is used to address impairments from disease or injury. That encompasses increasing joint range of motion, modulating pain through gate theory, increasing flexibility through plastic deformities within tissues or increasing/decreasing muscular tone, and addressing postural issues in conjunction with graded therapeutic exercise for longterm changes.

It's a tool in rehab to improve a patients' motion and movement necessary for tasks and skills.

Look into subfields for more understanding of scope. There is an okay article on the front page currently.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it's similar and yes what you're asking is well within physical therapy practice scope.

You were likely treated for cervicogenic headache.

An "adjustment" for a "subluxation" lacks good literature to my understanding. Manipulation works for pain management if orthopaedic, but there are placebo effects as well.....and it can be only acute management if proper education, postural changes, or therapeutic exercise plans aren't provided in conjunction with it.

Manual therapy is used to address impairments from disease or injury. That encompasses increasing joint range of motion, modulating pain through gate theory, increasing flexibility through plastic deformities within tissues or increasing/decreasing muscular tone, and addressing postural issues in conjunction with graded therapeutic exercise for longterm changes.

It's a tool in rehab to improve a patients' motion and movement necessary for tasks and skills.

Look into subfields for more understanding of scope. There is an okay article on the front page currently.
Thank You!