Score release date after deadline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Guy-Dude

Reaction score
I am scheduled to take MCAT on July 7th (next Saturday). I am also applying early decision to the school in my hometown. Its deadline for early decision is August 1st. My score obviously won't be released by then. What are my options here? Will this hurt me? They do interviews in August and give you a decision by October 1st.

I also already have a score, but I am looking to bump it up a few points.

Members don't see this ad.

I am scheduled to take MCAT on July 7th (next Saturday). I am also applying early decision to the school in my hometown. Its deadline for early decision is August 1st. My score obviously won't be released by then. What are my options here? Will this hurt me? They do interviews in August and give you a decision by October 1st.

@gonnif your thoughts?

Have you submitted your primary? You know schools don’t have to wait for your new score, right? They can make a decision based in your old score and some do. It’s differentbat different schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Did you discuss the timing of your second score with the school?
EDC is one of the few cases in which reliable guidance is likely to be given.

Did you discuss the timing of your second score with the school?
EDC is one of the few cases in which reliable guidance is likely to be given.

I did not. I've heard that the dean at this school says one thing then does another. He is very fickle at times. This I know.

The dean at one state school (NY) specifically said anyone who is planning to apply Early Decision at that school ***must*** talk to her first for an evaluation before submitting. This makes a lot of sense since Early Decision prevents you from applying to other schools until the ED result is out, which will then make your application late for other schools if ED school denies you.

In my state, we couldn't apply EDP unless we had a minimum GPA and MCAT. I highly recommend contacting the dean, fickle or not. Essentially, you may be told whether or not it is a good idea to apply EDP at your school.

Why on earth would anyone apply to EARLY decision with a LATE second MCAT? Your actions have basically made sure that your application will be considered only on your first MCAT. So now you are in the worst of both possible worlds. If you have submitted your primary already for EDP, it will be weaker than have waited for retake score. And now you cant apply for ANY OTHER MD Program until late in the cycle. What were you thinking?

Because interviews won't start until mid-August (per usual), and the score will be released by then. I figured it would update by then, right? I am at a 511 right now and will only be shooting for scholarships. I do not think I am at a loss with my current score as to acceptance. I just wanted to know if they normally do scholarships based on your interview or if that comes later. All of my friends that are currently enrolled and have gone through this say they find out later about scholarships but weren't sure if they were pre-determined and just announced at a later date.

If you get accepted EDP, they have no reason to offer you merit aid. Once you are accepted EDP, you are done.

Reactions: 1 user
The dean at one state school (NY) specifically said anyone who is planning to apply Early Decision at that school ***must*** talk to her first for an evaluation before submitting. This makes a lot of sense since Early Decision prevents you from applying to other schools until the ED result is out, which will then make your application late for other schools if ED school denies you.
Would our mind PMing me the name of this school or posting it here. Thanks!