Scoring below an A, failing with an F on purpose, then retaking and scoring an A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atherosclerotic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to take a precalculus course which lasts for 5 weeks during this summer. It's a 4 credit class. I will not be working during this time so I am expecting to earn an A with rigorous studying and practice.

If I score below an A minus in this class, I intend to tell the professor to give me an F so I can retake the course and get an A the next time. My question is, will medical schools frown upon this strategy? They will see an F and then an A or so the next semester. I also believe that the F is overwritten at my college once you retake the course and pass it however it could be averaged in with the A. That I am not sure about. Regardless, how would this look on an application?

Members don't see this ad.

It would look like 8 hours of C's on AMCAS. AACOMAS does grade replacement so it would just be an A. Also, don't take a class with the plan of taking it again. It sounds like a waste.

When considering applying, your application GPA should trump your UG GPA. Don't ask for an F...

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting an occasional B isn't the end of the world. Even if the F is overwritten at your college, it will not be overwritten on your AMCAS application, and that's where it really matters. Work as hard as you can and take whatever grade you get.

This might be the single stupidest thing idea I've seen on sdn since I joined (and that's saying A LOT). Hell, I've read so many janitor vs DO threads at this point (which I also think are pretty stupid).

AMCAS will average your F and A, so you're killing yourself for MD. DO schools will take the A, but see that you got an F just prior. Normally for DO, students re-take classes many years later (from what I've seen); not, a class they literally took the summer before.

You are far better off getting a B in the class that an F. Quite honestly, if you can avoid it, it's better not to have any Fs or Ws on your transcript (of course, there are many who can't avoid it because of stupid past decisions).

Last edited:
Yeah. Seems very silly. Also, adcoms could really care less if you got an A or a B in your precalc class.

This might be the single stupidest thing idea I've seen on sdn since I joined (and that's saying A LOT). Hell, I've read so many janitor vs DO threads at this point (which I also think are pretty stupid).

AMCAS will average your F and A, so you're killing yourself for MD. DO schools will take the A, but see that you got an F just prior. Normally for DO, students re-take classes many years later (from what I've seen); not, a class they literally took the summer before.

You are far better off getting a B in the class that an F. Quite honestly, if you can avoid it, it's better not to have an Fs or Ws on your transcript (of course, there are many who can't avoid it because of stupid past decisions).

Agree with the advice, but there's a whole ton of inane babble here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=10

Terrible idea. Even with grade replacements in AACOMAS, too many F's is a huge red flag (they still show up, just don't get calculated in the GPA). If you get a B, take the B.

I suppose the only other option to consider would then be to audit the course. It does not appear on my transcript at the college. I pay full price for the course but do not receive a grade but I do have the right to receive instruction and take assessments. Anything below A minus means that I do not understand the material. I don't like just getting by.

More than likely, I will just see how I do within the first week. If I cannot eek out an A or close to it, I can withdraw from it and it won't appear on the transcript. Otherwise, I will take whatever grade I earn. The other option would be to just show up to class for one week and then ask for an overtally or late-add if I do well. I can then register for the course and then continue onward. If I do not do well within those few days (the class is 2.5 hours a day, 4 days a week), I can just disappear and it will be like nothing ever happened. This is a summer-accelerated course so I am a bit weary returning to school with a junior high school level of math background, and although math is not my weakness, I am still being cautious.

Last edited:
Another idea, that you don't have to pay for, is to take advantage of some great online resources. Kahn academy can give you a great math refresher if you're scared you're too rusty. It's free and reputable and a good resource for other areas like physics, statistics, etc. Go through the math content there and then take the course and blow it out of the water.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

MIT open courseware also has pretty good math content, but might be above what you need

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/index.htm

But really, while you need as high of a gpa as you can get for medical school, you need to realize it's extremely difficult to get A's in every single class you take. You can't let that overwhelm you and hold you back or make you keep trying to figure out how to game the system. You're going to cause yourself a lot of excess stress that way. The best strategy is to ease into your coursework, pace yourself, and start off on the right foot studying strong. You also need to give yourself enough room to be solid in other areas as well.

You can't just withdraw from med school classes if you're not acing them, why get into the habit of it now? This makes no sense.

Why cant you just take the class and BUST YOUR A*S NOW instead of wasting time doing all of this and retaking it later? This makes absolutely no sense.

Take advantage of your school's resources and put your ALL into it and get that A.

Like someone else said.. why start bad habits now? You wont be able to do this in Medical School where the courses are MUCH harder and time consuming.

I've never seen such pre-gunner strategizing for such a low-level, pre-pre-something class. Come on OP. You can pull down a B or better in algebra. Stop with the navel gazing and just work hard. Studying is your answer, not complex add/withdraw schemes.

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be the single stupidest thing idea I've seen on sdn since I joined (and that's saying A LOT).
Same here. If you want a failing grade for the school to allow you to repeat, at least ask for a D+. Either way, it's a very stupid move.

Better yet. Get all F's your first year. All C's your second year. Then get all A's your your 3rd-5th yrs. (you'll need an extra year after the year of F's). Adcoms love an upward trend. Then get a 40+ on your MCAT which should be no problem. Also, throw yourself in the path of a moving bus during the summer after your second year. You can use your rehab experience to write a kick-ass PS about how you overcame adversity and learned about the medical field as well as use the time to hob-knob with some attendings.

I'm assuming this post was a joke, so I'm just returning the favor. But if it's not, for the love of god do not throw yourself in front of a bus.

I'm not sure if this thread is serious, but in the event that it actually is...

Most of the schools that I've had any knowledge of don't require an F initially before retaking the class. Thus if one got a B or C on attempt #1, then the course could be retaken to bring the grade up. This seems like a MUCH better idea than taking an F and then doing the retake.

Ok folks, maybe we could go a little easy on the original poster. I know we've had a few more trollish posts than usual lately but this sounds like someone who is (1) a little anal about grades (2) very nervous about not having recent math coursework and (3) maybe lacking some information about how AMCAS calculates GPA.

I can definitely understand being nervous about a class you don't feel you have the background for or don't have any recent history of with the content. That's why I think Kahn academy is a great option.

If you don't know that AMCAS counts all grades regardless of retakes, then it might seem like a good idea to retake it if you don't do as well as you hoped. Different schools have different policies on retakes. My undergrad institution required a petition to retake if you had better than a C grade in the class.

Just a little ribbing, besides one of the most useful assets in a medical career is a thick coat of rhinoceros hide.

Your responses are hilarious, lol. I am practicing using Khan Academy now. It helps a lot and I am constantly doing the same types of problems over and over again to adjust to the logic and structure of algebra 1 and trig. and higher.

The best advice I received here is that I will not be able to only have A grades no matter how hard I try. It is possible I will falter and that shouldn't mean I just drop the whole thing.

You'll be fine. Take advantage of youtube and all the open source lectures (I would have done so much better in college with all the resources these days). Remember Bs happen. Just keep moving.

Also, watch this video and PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION at 4:33: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTaIWU6xCmI

Your responses are hilarious, lol. I am practicing using Khan Academy now. It helps a lot and I am constantly doing the same types of problems over and over again to adjust to the logic and structure of algebra 1 and trig. and higher.

The best advice I received here is that I will not be able to only have A grades no matter how hard I try. It is possible I will falter and that shouldn't mean I just drop the whole thing.

Absolutely take that to heart!! If you approach school with the view of perfect or zero, you are setting yourself up to hit a wall that you cannot overcome. Expect yourself to earn great grades, do the work you need to accomplish that, and if you are struggling, develop a new strategy immediately! Don't give up. You need to be flexible, and that is a skill that will serve you the rest of your life.

Last edited:
Take advantage of youtube and all the open source lectures (I would have done so much better in college with all the resources these days).

No kidding!!! I'm a lot less intimidated studying for the MCAT >10 years out from physics, chem, and ochem with the resources available.

It's also fun to just delve into random subjects for the fun of it. (and I can actually admit that on here cuz I know I can't get too much grief
about it :p )

Good luck OP!

I think you should just focus on doing well in the class. If you're really nervous then maybe you shouldn't take it over the summer. I recommend Precalculus Demystified by Rhonda Huettenmueller. Also, you could end up screwing yourself over because what type of professor would just override your grade and give you the F? They might get in trouble with the school for doing that because I think they have to give you the grade you earn.

Don't listen to these jokers. You should ask for the F. What an asinine post.