Scott & White - New Out of Match Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dopey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All - just wanted to know if any of you knew about the 2 out of match positions that have been approved at Scott & White Hospital/Texas A&M? I have heard through the grapevine that they are considering interviewing applicants for these "Advanced" 2007 positions, but do not know when or if there is an official application process?

For those who had to scramble, or are wanting an Advanced 2007 Anesthesia position, do you have any information regarding this? I believe the Program Director is Dr. Bittenbinder/McAlister? I can not find any information from their website...

Please post if you can help, I would love to have an opportunity to do my residency at this institution as I have heard many positive things about it. I am sure for those who did not match initially this past March would also like to get some info as well...goodluck to all :D

Members don't see this ad.

Is this true? I'd sure as heck take one of those spots. I like central Texas and otherwise wasting a year is going to suck. How much am I going to hate intern year knowing that I'll have to do it over again next year?

Any other positions that anyone knows of?

They have definitely been approved for two more slots. I am not sure how they are handling the application process. There is at least one applicant who has or is being considered for one of the slots based on the applicants history within the department.

To be honest, there may even be a slot available at the CA-1 level for next year. One slot has already been filled. The slots appear to be similar to the way UT described Southwestern in the past. Leave a couple of slots outside the match to attract top level people from other specialties who are interested in transferring into anesthesia. I am not saying that this is what is happening, but I am seeing firsthand what UT talked about a couple of years ago. As a result of the program getting a couple of extra slots they are able to take some apps from people outside the match. There are some fabulous applicants from other disciplines who for a variety of reasons are now interested in aneshesia.

I am not sure if they are going to fill the two extra slots for the next year this same way (look for people next year who are interested in transferring). I can say just from experience that some of the apps they are getting are ridiculous.

BTW, the chairman is Dr. Bittenbinder, and the program coordinator is Dr. McAllister.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump

can you guys please give me some more info.

Thanks! :D

are the applicants like foreign grads or just US in another specialty? Or DOs?

onyX said:
are the applicants like foreign grads or just US in another specialty? Or DOs?

Ridiculous in the sense that are great (at least on paper). Basically they are bringing the stats that got them into their previous field (Urology, Ortho, Rads). Haven't met any of them yet, they may end up being tool bags, but on paper I am definitely glad I'm not applying against them.

If anyone is wonderring. There is no PGY1 position this year. They'll fill it as a CA1 position next year.

UT San Antonio has also been approved for 2 more spots at each level, in addition to the 3 or 4 they save out of the match. Most of the PGY2 (CA1) spots have been filled for next year, they are actively interviewing, but one or two may be available.

There are also CA3 spots open for next year, as that class is 2 residents short. Contact info at anesthes.uthscsa.edu

just wondering if some one heard anything from scot and white. i applied there but havnt heard anything yet.Are there PGY-1 spots as well??

msashraf said:
just wondering if some one heard anything from scot and white. i applied there but havnt heard anything yet.Are there PGY-1 spots as well??
??? :confused: "If anyone is wondering. There is no PGY1 position this year. They'll fill it as a CA1 position next year."