Scramble Q: Should We Be Having Friends/Relatives Call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I am planning on having relatives/friends call for me, while I do the same. Is this even a good idea?

I guess it all depends if programs will ask you questions on the first call or will they just tell u to send the application via ERAS, fax or email. If they do the former, it may be problematic if I am on the other line with another program.

I was thinking about having friends in other states (who are free to help) help call programs too...again, if the program begins to ask my friends questions based on my application, then of course it wouldn't work out.

Desperation is setting in!!! Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Even if you could coordinate with friends and family (and get them your CV so they could "pretend" to be you), bear in mind, that in my experience at my home program and hearing of others, many programs don't answer the phone during the scramble if its an outside call. Our program coordinator simply put the phone on voicemail if only because she needed her hands free to dig out from underneath all the FAXes for the unfilled Prelim spots!

But yes, many will tell you that they only take applications through ERAS anyway. I suppose you could try your plan and see if it works. What if they get the program director on the phone and he/she starts asking questions that they can't answer? What if they offer a position over the phone - will your friends and family be prepared for that situation (and be able to get through to you to let you know)? Seems like a lot of variables...

I didn't do it (I did scramble, but I did not have anyone call for me), but my classmate had our Dean do it. I had a mix of experiences. Some places just told me send my information. Others asked for my board scores first. I would say, I would recommend you call your favorites and have your friends call your "least favorites." However, your friends probably should know your board scores and grades to start. They are very likely to ask you for that info on the phone call.

From what I have seen people do get their close friends to help. The applicant usually mans the phone. The rest are doing busy work like sending faxes, using ERAS, and getting information on the program like stats -phone numbers and such.

As previously stated, lots of programs don't answer the phone so people would just have friends calling ad nauseum.