Screwed up major freshmen year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kasd61

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just completed freshmen year and ended up with the cGPA of 3.02 and a sGPA of 2.8. (Chem: A-, Physics: B-, Bio: C) :( I have completely no extracurriculars either. Do i still have a chance of making it into med school or should I just quit now?

Members don't see this ad.

I think if people on the board say to quit and you'd actually quit, you need to question how badly you want this.

You're not out of the game by any means. You need to start making ALOT of A's, and let them see a strong upward trend over the next 2 years.

Do well on the MCAT

Start EC's tomorrow. Find somewhere to volunteer. Find someone to shadow. Join some clubs the first week of school.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is certainly no need to give up! You do need to figure out what is going wrong for you, though. Maybe you need to take a lighter schedule, or take advantage of tutoring, or figure out what is eating up all your time since you have no ECs. Possibly you need to just train yourself to study every day. Do you procrastinate? Get distracted easily? Are you living in the dorms where studying is more difficult? Figure out your answers to these questions and then make appropriate changes like keeping a schedule, studying at the library, getting a quieter place to live or seeking out tutors or study groups.

Thanks but do medical schools really count in the upper trend in GPA. I figured I can get at least a 3.65 by senior year but that's average in medical school admissions.

It's fine. I had a situation similar to yours. You might get asked bout it, but a lot of freshmen crash and burn after high school. Don't sweat it. Just pick yourself back up and begin anew.

Thanks but do medical schools really count in the upper trend in GPA. I figured I can get at least a 3.65 by senior year but that's average in medical school admissions.

An upward trend is a definite good thing. Are you going to get as much credit as someone with a 3.70 who's never flubbed a semester? No. But you will be in good shape for admissions.