Scrubs in Public

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stop doing this kids. You look like a tool and you're not impressing anybody. If you want a girlfriend go on tinder like the rest of us and stop triggering my nightmares of anatomy lab and ob

Strong necrobump.

Meh, I wear scrubs pretty much all day, every day. I do it because it is convenient and it decreases how often I have to do laundry. *shrug* Maybe it is the city that I am in, but it isn't atypical to walk around in the grocery store and bump into half a dozen people wearing scrubs. What is always weird to me are people wearing their white coats when they aren't in the hospital. I mean on the train, in the supermarket, etc. That is just strange to me...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I saw a dude working out at the gym in scrubs once. It was pretty disgusting.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Edit: I fell prey to the necrobump

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Strong necrobump.

Meh, I wear scrubs pretty much all day, every day. I do it because it is convenient and it decreases how often I have to do laundry. *shrug* Maybe it is the city that I am in, but it isn't atypical to walk around in the grocery store and bump into half a dozen people wearing scrubs. What is always weird to me are people wearing their white coats when they aren't in the hospital. I mean on the train, in the supermarket, etc. That is just strange to me...

The physician I work under HATES this. It's actually humorous to hear her talk about it. She explains that physicians that don't take off their white coat when they aren't doing physician things are the worst type of doctors. Haha, I thought when they wear them to the cafeteria is obnoxious, but on the train? In the supermarket? Goodness...

The physician I work under HATES this. It's actually humorous to hear her talk about it. She explains that physicians that don't take off their white coat when they aren't doing physician things are the worst type of doctors. Haha, I thought when they wear them to the cafeteria is obnoxious, but on the train? In the supermarket? Goodness...

I thought you wear the white coat in the grocery store so that when someone chokes on the food samples (trader joes) you can intubate them?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Stop doing this kids. You look like a tool and you're not impressing anybody. If you want a girlfriend go on tinder like the rest of us and stop triggering my nightmares of anatomy lab and ob
Tinder didn't exist in 2001. Why don't you check your smartphone privilege. Getting laid used to take a lot more work than it does now!! Hahaha

I thought you were the white coat in the grocery store so that when someone chokes on the food samples (trader joes) you can intubate them?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Only the butcher should wear a white coat at the grocery store. I want to know who's cutting my meat. I don't need any undertrained bagging line upstart with half a year of college and a doctorate in butching putting on a white coat and mucking things up

Last edited:
Only the butcher should wear a white coat at the grocery store. I want to know who's cutting my meat. I don't need any undertrained bagging line upstart with half a year of college and a doctorate in butching putting on a white coat and mucking things up

I cannot agree more. There's enough confusion going on already at the market. Eyes on the prize.

I saw a dude working out at the gym in scrubs once. It was pretty disgusting.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile
Done this a few times after sitting in a radiology reading room all day. Moreover, if some doc wears scrubs out after being in the or all day, he or she has been in a relatively sterile environment while gowned up. Its the converse that's gross. Obv, don't wear your icu scrubs out. When I was a student I used to think the docs were just trying to show off. Now that I'm an intern I realize I'd rather wear clothes I don't have to wash personally, and skip the time it takes to change. If the high school girls at the Y notice, nbd.

Seen people working out in scrubs- gross/pathetic/dumb

Seen people walking around nowhere near a hospital or office in a white coat- same feelings as above

I wear scrubs to work, so if I have errands to run before during or after I don't change. Unless I get bloody

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Off-topic: Still find it fascinating that I was barely in the 1st grade when this thread was starting and I'm starting med school this fall. This website goes waaay, waaaay back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the bigger problem is if you actually care what other people are wearing in public. I could not care any less what somebody else is wearing to the store or out to dinner. If someone wants to wear scrubs, good for them, they are just comfortable clothes that anybody can wear. It's not a uniform that anybody earned the right to wear, so stop thinking it is.

Every time I wore my scrubs or white coat to class I always got a ton of people asking me why I was wearing them. I hate having to explain myself for putting on some clothes, it's ridiculous. People need to stop being so insecure and mind their own business. It's funny, by the end of 2nd year of med school nobody cared anymore and stopped asking.

I think the bigger problem is if you actually care what other people are wearing in public. I could not care any less what somebody else is wearing to the store or out to dinner. If someone wants to wear scrubs, good for them, they are just comfortable clothes that anybody can wear. It's not a uniform that anybody earned the right to wear, so stop thinking it is.

Every time I wore my scrubs or white coat to class I always got a ton of people asking me why I was wearing them. I hate having to explain myself for putting on some clothes, it's ridiculous. People need to stop being so insecure and mind their own business. It's funny, by the end of 2nd year of med school nobody cared anymore and stopped asking.

Way to miss the point homeboy. It's not about earning the right to wear anything, I have no idea where you got that but it does give insight into your thought process.

They stopped asking because they figured out that anyone who wears a white coat and scrubs to class (lol) is a tool. Chances are, they're not the insecure ones

I'm seeing nursing students, pa students, dietary students and secretaries getting long white coats. The little white coat is not a badge of honor, it's the cone of shame. Haven't worn it in months

Last edited:
It seems that people who wear scrubs in public are either
1. major tools,
2. doing it just to run errands but never something major like going to the gym, 3. People who really don't care that folks in group 2, due to their desire to be outraged at something, want to look at them disdainfully at the gym, and who are actually able to notice if they got amniotic fluid or feces on the scrubs, and able to make the right call or
4. Able to recognize that each year they get older and high school girls stay the same age

The gym I go to is attached to the medical center; they had to put a sign up explicitly saying "no scrubs allowed" because apparently commen sense misses some people.

You understand they were asking why you were wearing them because they're useful in a clinical setting, but not a classroom, right?

It'd be like if you wore a swimsuit to class...Not illegal but certainly not logical

Sounds like a pretty weird thing to wear to lacrosse practice.
like sweatpants but allow for much more movement. Plus the navy matched our school colors lol

The gym I go to is attached to the medical center; they had to put a sign up explicitly saying "no scrubs allowed" because apparently commen sense misses some people.
Not sure if you've yet had the pleasure of working at a hospital, but the entire system is essentially built on turfing culpability. gowning up for every Mrsa + nasal swab seems a little excessive, but the regulations and signs allow the system to employ people to make regulations and signs. In my estimation, it's hard to argue that hospital-washed scrubs gotten that morning and worn in the or under a gown are way more contaminated than sweatpants worn for the 5th straight day. The signs are there for some committees sake, or to cut back on the laundry bill, not to prevent the spread of tb. Seems reasonable to presume that doctors might have the common sense to not wear contaminated scrubs to the gym. Is there also a sign that says "wash your hands after u crap?"

I still don't own a pair of scrubs :( I had to borrow some of my wife's for shadowing once and I swear I almost tore them.

You understand they were asking why you were wearing them because they're useful in a clinical setting, but not a classroom, right?

It'd be like if you wore a swimsuit to class...Not illegal but certainly not logical

I didn't wear scrubs/white coat to class because I just felt like it, some days I was working at a physicians office right after class or was helping out in the anatomy lab or something. At my school, everybody is assigned to work with a physician at different times throughout the semester so people have to wear things on different days. It was irritating though that people would ALWAYS ask why I was in my white coat or my scrubs. The bottom line is that it doesn't matter. And everyone realized that eventually. They are just clothes. Theres no need to look at someone else wearing them and think they are a tool.

Hey Lilycat...that's why I married MY man....

{wink}
wink.gif
ouch!

What gets me is the losers at school who run around to the mall, etc. in scrubs, apparently to impress chicks, and end up looking like total *****s.

I sleep 4-6 hours a day max, I don't have time to change to go to the mall, dillweed.

wow necrobump

if some doc wears scrubs out after being in the or all day, he or she has been in a relatively sterile environment while gowned up

What kind of ORs are you going into? Surgery is disgusting, the gowns don't go all the way down if you're a regular-sized male, and even less if you're ortho-sized.

Off-topic: Still find it fascinating that I was barely in the 1st grade when this thread was starting and I'm starting med school this fall. This website goes waaay, waaaay back.

I find fascinating that a child who was in 1st grade in 2001 is in medical school (soon). That's fcked up.

Last edited:
Geez guys, GET A GRIP! Hopefully those of you who actually put thought into this ridiculous subject at least spent some time in a medical facility? Scrubs are what I wear to work in a trauma unit, and unless the unit supplies the scrubs (ie L&D and OR) I do have to get to and from work, and frequently go from work to class & visa verse, occasionally stop by the mall/Walmart on my way home/to work to pick up things for hubby & kids, dogfood, etc... preferably not nekked (hence my signature). If you get all excited and feel all grown up and like a real doctor putting on scrubs, just WAIT till ya hang your first stethoscope around your neck! WOWWWEEEE!! By the way, scrubs make great chemistry lab wear~I would much prefer to stain/burn my scrubs in Quant than a pair of jeans I paid 80 bucks for and rarely get to wear anyway! Sometimes I am just too damn tired to change anyway. Are there really people who dress up in scrubs to play doctor at this level? Just for kicks, I am gonna dress up in a dress and play business tycoon tomorrow~Do ya think anyone will notice? Thanks for the kicks.
And the hits just keep on coming.

------------------
Some people look better with their clothes on!
This cracks me up. I was working in the OR back then, and even then facilities that did not launder and supply scrubs required employees to bring their own and change from street clothes into scrubs at work.

I sleep 4-6 hours a day max, I don't have time to change to go to the mall, dillweed.

wow necrobump

What kind of ORs are you going into? Surgery is disgusting, the gowns don't go all the way down if you're a regular-sized male, and even less if you're ortho-sized.

I find fascinating that a child who was in 1st grade in 2001 is in medical school (soon). That's fcked up.

hahaha. And its not even like I skipped grades or graduated from college early...I'm 21 now and will be just 22 when I matriculate.