SDN vet book club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

biomajor2019

LMU-CVM C/O 2025
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys! Would anyone be interested in starting an SDN book club on here? We can all purchase a book and have discussions on it (or if anyone has other thoughts on how to do it! I’ve never been part of a book club!)
I thought it may be a fun way for us to make time for hobbies, such as reading!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’ve wanted to play!! But it seems like everyone is so experienced and I’ve been a little intimidated so I haven’t signed up! Lol! I’d love to start joining the games though!
Even those of us who are experienced can still be terrible at the game, and we love nooblets 😀 I'll make sure to tag you the next time we have one running!
 
I’ve wanted to play!! But it seems like everyone is so experienced and I’ve been a little intimidated so I haven’t signed up! Lol! I’d love to start joining the games though!
Just join!!!!! We also usually have a noob game where it’s pretty much all new players (or very few games) and everyone has a mentor. Usually that’s around christmastime and @WildZoo usually is HMIC for that
 
For context:
wz read a book.JPG
 
I’ve wanted to play!! But it seems like everyone is so experienced and I’ve been a little intimidated so I haven’t signed up! Lol! I’d love to start joining the games though!
@biomajor2019 ... you should play in at least one WW game - they're fun, well-designed, and mesmerizing.

I still remember my first WW game as a hapless little noobie - and it was a HOOT! 😀

owl.gif
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also love the idea of a book club. I don't know if it's reasonable to add it to my schedule, but I'm still totally here for the idea!
 
Hey guys! I was wondering if we want it to be a book club where we all read the same book or since I think majority of us may have limited funds we can have this thread be where we can post about books we've read and do reviews/ratings on them? Kind of like the cooking thread? 🙂 I'm down for either idea!
 
Hey guys! I was wondering if we want it to be a book club where we all read the same book or since I think majority of us may have limited funds we can have this thread be where we can post about books we've read and do reviews/ratings on them? Kind of like the cooking thread? 🙂 I'm down for either idea!
We do have a reading thread already where we post about what books we're reading! I'll see if I can find it and tag you.

I was thinking this would be more along the lines of an actual book club. Limited funds (and time lol) is a good point though so maybe we could just do, you know, a book every couple months or something.
 
Ooo! Yes! Thanks for the tag! I will check that thread out!
And yes, I think this will be super fun, even if it’s something we do quarterly where we all pick a book and read and chat about it on here 🙂
What’s everyone’s favorite genre?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should we have a vote on a first book to start? Give everyone until end of December to read it? (Knowing so many of you are in school) anyone have suggestions for a first read? [emoji4]
 
I think taking a vote is a good idea! Maybe if we can come up with a list of three books, maybe from different genres, and then give people a week to vote on which one they like best? I did some quick googling for best book club books and Where the Crawdads Sing and The Hate U Give came up on several lists if anyone has an opinion on those. I've not read either one, I just recognized the titles.
 
I’ve been on a waitlist for that book via my library’s Libby since July and they still predict another 6 weeks until I get it.

Edit: I was also told the Giver of Stars was good and reserved that one in July too but Libby predicts 22 weeks before I get that one. Both must be popular though if the wait is that long.
 
I’ve been on a waitlist for that book via my library’s Libby since July and they still predict another 6 weeks until I get it.

Edit: I was also told the Giver of Stars was good and reserved that one in July too but Libby predicts 22 weeks before I get that one. Both must be popular though if the wait is that long.
Jeez! Sounds like they need to get a couple more copies :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think taking a vote is a good idea! Maybe if we can come up with a list of three books, maybe from different genres, and then give people a week to vote on which one they like best? I did some quick googling for best book club books and Where the Crawdads Sing and The Hate U Give came up on several lists if anyone has an opinion on those. I've not read either one, I just recognized the titles.
Crawdads was a good read, haven't checked out Hate U Give yet