Second author to an attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skol926

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ms2 shooting for ortho. I got a paper into a top ortho journal and was expecting to be first author as I wrote the whole thing and did all phone follow up and stats/data analysis. However my established attending took first author, he's very well known in the field. How will this be viewed? I'm guessing most people will know he didn't sit down and write a whole paper or do any stats so I'm wondering if it'll look almost like a first author?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This thread is old, but for anyone else seeing this in the future, think about what first author means. This is the person that a reader will want to get answers from if they have questions about the topic. Imagine this: you are the first author on a paper describing patient outcomes through a novel surgical technique. Are you willing/able to defend this finding in front of an audience of other surgeons? I would wager that most medical students would not be comfortable in that situation.

First author is not what is it made out to be by medical students. Personally, I don't really care as long as I'm not buried in the authorship despite the contributions I made. Also, other surgeons know that if the big name person is first author, the people following just after him/her did the majority of the research work (phone calls, stats, chart review, etc).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can be the Hansen to his Lauge. It's all good.

I just searched Vincent adultman and found NOTHING