Hi all,
I have been lurking in the reinvention threads for a while, and was wondering if anyone could help me understand how schools will evaluate my first vs second bachelor's (even though they will be averaged for the cGPA)
- First degree (top five business school): 3.0 gpa (~3.4 sgpa over this timeframe)
- Second bachelor's (with one year to go): 3.91 gpa (~3.8 sgpa over this timeframe)
- "pseudo-cumulative" science gpa: ~3.7
I have all the other pieces of my app coming together (lots of research w/ expected pubs, 400+ volunteering with under-deserved, 50+ shadowing, MCAT studying in progress), but right now I am just not sure how schools will see the gpa's. Will they just see it as one cumulative? Will the second bachelors be weighed more, by how much? I know there is no exact science to it, I am just not sure where I fall at the moment.
I know I need an MCAT to start looking at specific schools, but with my current situation and a 517 are mid MD's (Keck/Dartmouth/Einstein) realistic?
Lastly, I will be applying for fall 2021 (IL, not URM) so I still have a lot of time to gain more clinical experience. I just got ahead on the MCAT studying because a high score will just further offset the low gpa from my first bachelors.
Thanks in advance for the advice, this site has been incredibly helpful!
(and if your are curious, why I decided on the second bachelor's route):
- Only took two years
- was not exactly sure I was going to apply to medical school at the time afterwards
- genuinely interested in neuroscience
- I want to apply MD, was not convinced one year would have been enough transcript repair
- Business advisor was not helpful, and I might have not done enough front-end research on my options