Second Bachelors degree???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccer12345

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished searching the forums for answers but still puzzled on what I should do. I graduated from Ohio State last year with a B.S. in Microbiology, but my gpa has hindered me from even being competitive for Masters/Post-bacc. I'm interested in becoming a CRNA and was wondering how I should go about pursuing my goal. I know BSN is necessary, so would it be wise to go back and get a second bachelors degree in Nursing. How do I even apply for schools with such a low gpa, is their a program that allows graduates a chance to get a another degree without a gpa requirement. Would love to hear some feedback. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
a crna degree is an msn so you have to have a bsn to become a crna...it's not optional....you have a long road ahead of you to bring that 2.3 up to something that will get you into a grad school( or even second bs) program. take all the bsn prereqs and get a's and that would be a good start...,

Thanks emedpa for the quick response. I know it's going to be a long road to raise my gpa up and I'm willing to do what is necessary, I just need a second chance. Where can I take my BSN prereqs with a low gpa like mine, is their even a chance of being admitted to any schools. Please I'm at lost cause, let me know how to go about this situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
you might want to post your questions at allnurses.com , a nursing forum, instead of here.

It is a long and a tough road ahead to bring up a 2.3 GPA to CRNA acceptable standards. I am not sure if targeting 3.5 and up would be even practical. CRNA is a masters degree and there is no short cut to it. You must have a bachelors degree, work in ICU (critical care) for at least 1 year. (most require 2+ years), a high GPA (they ask for 3.0 but the applicants have >3.5 overall and 4.0 in all sciences and math), GRE score of > 1100 (some can waive GRE if you have >3.7 GPA) and pass CCRN exam before applying.
Getting into the program does not guarantee you becoming one. Like you can imagine, asking for high GPA is an indicator that the program is tough.

Having said all that, there is nothing bigger to a willing heart and a prepared mind. Now hit the road and you could be working in OR as a CRNA 5-7 years from today.
Good luck