May 16, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone! I was wondering what you all thought about this. I'm getting close to finishing up my first bachelor's degree. I still need to complete the academic requirements for medical school before applying. I'm considering applying to a postbac program to fulfill those requirements. Do you all think a second bachelor's would be more beneficial or pursuing a Master's degree to help my less than perfect prior academic career? I currently have a cummulative 3.3 gpa.

He Who Dares Wins

NeuroLAX

Discere faciendo
Apr 17, 2012
Status
Medical Student
You don't need a second bachelor's degree, and a Master's degree won't allow you to take general chemistry, biology, organic chemistry, and physics. So if your plan is to do a post-bacc that will allow you to complete those pre-reqs, then stick with that. Or you could just prolong your graduation and just take the pre-reqs where you are.

EDIT: I just remembered you are preparing to be deployed! Are you graduating at the end of summer then?

Good luck and stay safe! Thanks for your service.

OP
CAmedicRawlings
May 16, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks so much for your help! I was considering a second bachelor's in biochem. My plan for the postbac program was to complete the requirements and then pursue a master's in biomedical sciences or something of that nature to help bring up my GPA a bit more. Unfortunately, I will not have my degree completed prior to deploying but I will continue completing my classes as
much as I can and hopefully I will be able to complete
it before I get home so I can immediately focus on the postbac.

He Who Dares Wins

NeuroLAX

Discere faciendo
Apr 17, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Thanks so much for your help! I was considering a second bachelor's in biochem. My plan for the postbac program was to complete the requirements and then pursue a master's in biomedical sciences or something of that nature to help bring up my GPA a bit more. Unfortunately, I will not have my degree completed prior to deploying but I will continue completing my classes as
much as I can and hopefully I will be able to complete
it before I get home so I can immediately focus on the postbac.

He Who Dares Wins
How may pre-reqs have you compelted thus far? If you haven't done any yet, then I wouldn't really worry about having to do more school (unless you really want that Master's), since you have time to take these classes and get an A in them. That should really help your GPA as long as you keep everything else up! Stay strong.

OP
CAmedicRawlings
May 16, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Oooooh good call! I'm glad you reminded me of that fact. I have not completed any of the prereq's as of yet. Thanks again for your help! Take care.

He Who Dares Wins

mkhuc

A regular guy (w/ fiber)
7+ Year Member
May 13, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You might find it advantageous to get a pre-med oriented Master's Program, i.e. SMP's. Because Admissions committee's like that better than a research Master's.

In California, we have TUCOM-CA's MSMHS program and COMP's MSMS program that both give you some kind of linkage promise to their college of osteopathic medicine.

NeuroLAX

Discere faciendo
Apr 17, 2012
Status
Medical Student
You might find it advantageous to get a pre-med oriented Master's Program, i.e. SMP's. Because Admissions committee's like that better than a research Master's.

In California, we have TUCOM-CA's MSMHS program and COMP's MSMS program that both give you some kind of linkage promise to their college of osteopathic medicine.
These programs are indeed nice, but OP hasn't done any pre-reqs for medical school yet. These would be a good option if OP came out of undergrad having completed the pre-reqs but still in need of an academic boost to enhance the application and chances of gaining admission.