Second dental school in Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

therock21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard a rumor the other day a second school was opening in Utah, has anyone heard about this?

Members don't see this ad.

This would be my first time hearing about this. Where did you hear that a second dental school would open, or is this your early April 1 gift? ; )

I live in Utah and i haven't heard anything about a second dental school. It's really unlikely that any school would qualify to be a dental school here since all we have is mediocre state schools. If anything, U of U would be the only one that have the potential but since they're already a medical school, i doubt they would go out of their way and spend tons of money to build a new dental school

Members don't see this ad :)
not completely false...the U of U has been discussing opening a dental school for a few years now. it has been confirmed that there has been a substantial donation towards opening a dental school, but without the approval of the state government and additional funding from the state it will continue to just be a rumor. one the state legislature approves a budget that includes funds for this program the school will begin the process of building facilities near the U of U hospital.

Sure. . . Right after 3 more dental schools open in Puerto Rico!!

Wow, sucks for Roseman students.

I went out to dinner with Gordon Christensen over the weekend (all dental students should look him up, he has invented half of the stuff dentists use now and he started the University of Colorado and University of Kentucky dental schools). I asked him about this rumor and he told me he has been working directly with the U of U to get a dental school going. It is going to be really good if Gordon C. is working on it....plus he really hates (loathes may be a better word) Roseman so he is going to try and sink them. Bad bad news for them over there.

I went out to dinner with Gordon Christensen over the weekend (all dental students should look him up, he has invented half of the stuff dentists use now and he started the University of Colorado and University of Kentucky dental schools). I asked him about this rumor and he told me he has been working directly with the U of U to get a dental school going. It is going to be really good if Gordon C. is working on it....plus he really hates (loathes may be a better word) Roseman so he is going to try and sink them. Bad bad news for them over there.

interesting stuff. why does he hate roseman?

Please expand to give your story some validity. In what circumstances were you having dinner with the man and why would he share this sensitive information with you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a friend to their family. His granddaughters are my wife's best friends so they come up regularly to our university to take us out to dinner (they live 3 1/2 hours away). We went to Applebee's, he had a 9 oz steak and a baked potato and I had chicken parmesan. I asked him about this rumor and he told me everything I told you. He has been working with the U of U to start a dental school and now it is clear for everyone that it is going to happen. As to why he dislikes Roseman, he was actually working with Dr. Harman and Dr. Sandoval to get the school started but they wanted to make it super expensive and he wanted to make it affordable. Since that split he really hates the direction they have taken the school. Of course he hasn't told me every detail of why he doesn't like the school, just what I have told you.

This sucks the market there is already so saturated anyway. Adding a new school adds new dentists to an area that already has so many it is tough to make it especially as a new dentist.

Maine has a new one opening next year too I believe. Sometimes I wonder if these new schools are trying to get some of the action while it's hot.

Just when I was starting to dread the inevitability of having to take on a huge debt burden and go out of state, they open one at my school... This is AWESOME news! :)

In all of my years here I've never heard Utah referred to as a Midwestern state. :p

This has me seriously wondering what I should do. Have been planning on starting at Midwestern this Fall, but now I wonder if I should apply next cycle to the University of Utah for in-state tuition. :confused:

This has me seriously wondering what I should do. Have been planning on starting at Midwestern this Fall, but now I wonder if I should apply next cycle to the University of Utah for in-state tuition. :confused:

That is a pretty big risk when you don't have any info about the school and what type of applicants they will be looking to accept.

I just hope being LDS does not play a role in admissions like it does in some of the other western schools.

I just hope being LDS does not play a role in admissions like it does in some of the other western schools.

What schools are you referring to? I have only heard of Case and VCU being LDS friendly. Again, this is a rumor, not hard facts

Last edited:
I know it's a big risk, considering the number of applicants from Utah, but it's one that could potentially mean the difference of over $100k for me (Estimating the dental in-state tuition would be somewhat close to the medical schools' at about $30k per year).

I know it's a big risk, considering the number of applicants from Utah, but it's one that could potentially mean the difference of over $100k for me (Estimating the dental in-state tuition would be somewhat close to the medical schools' at about $30k per year).

You would be foolish to not go to Midwestern this year.

BYU is the number one feeder school into dental schools. Not to mention all the other predents from UofU, Utah Valley, Utah State, Weber State, and Southern Utah.

Mormons love to be dentists and you would be with some fierce competition.

I am reminded of the old limerick - "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

What schools are you referring to? I have only heard of Case and VCU being LDS friendly. Again, this is a rumor, not hard facts

I spoke to Dr. Healy, Assistant Dean for admissions at VCU, about this and he said it was just a rumor. I'm not sure about Case, though.

You would be foolish to not go to Midwestern this year.

BYU is the number one feeder school into dental schools. Not to mention all the other predents from UofU, Utah Valley, Utah State, Weber State, and Southern Utah.

Mormons love to be dentists and you would be with some fierce competition.

I am reminded of the old limerick - "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

I agree with UltimateHombre. There are no guarantees you would get accepted. Go to Midwestern AZ.

i've always thought that is was the mountain west...but oh well

it's sort of like the dallas cowboys being part of the nfc east. it doesn't make sense, but everyone goes with it anyway

okay fine, you win.

shut-up-and-take-my-money-1f46.jpg

I wonder if we are headed down the same path as pharmacy. They now have many schools that charge quite a bit in tuition. The overall supply has led to a decline in salaries with an increase in debt. The only one that wins here are the schools - they get paid and leave you holding the bag-o-debt.

I wonder if we are headed down the same path as pharmacy. They now have many schools that charge quite a bit in tuition. The overall supply has led to a decline in salaries with an increase in debt. The only one that wins here are the schools - they get paid and leave you holding the bag-o-debt.

Does a patient not benefit from greater access to health professionals?

These schools are minting money off students. There is absolutely no demand unless you are in North Dakota, Maine, or some other remote state. Cali dentists are flocking into Utah to get away from the saturation they are experiencing and Utah decides it's a great idea to open 2 more schools. This is a business and their goal is to make money. What better way than to charge 400k for a degree.

This thread is actually making me really think... I'm kinda scared for the future of the profession in 10-20 years.

I think an even better analogy would be law schools.

Does a patient not benefit from greater access to health professionals?

If people would take the time to look. There isn't an access to health care problem. It's that people don't value their health enough to access it.

If you volunteer at a dental clinic, an example, you'll see that they have many no shows for people on Medicaid, which pretty much means they get free treatment... wtf. Free treatment and they don't show up.

If you live in any city I guarantee there's probably a dentist every 2-3 square miles. No way is there actually an access to health care problem (except places like Alaska, where you need an airplane to get to some places), people just don't have priorities in line.

So lets put 5 schools in every state and give them that access. Is that ok with you?

I would rather compete with more dentists than dental therapists and expanded role DH's for a variety of reasons.

To summarize Doc Toothache's PDF file,

Opening of new schools (as of Feb. 2011)

MWU-IL
East Carolina University
Lake Erie College of Osteop
Roseman,

Applying soon:
Univeristy of New England College of Dental Medicine.

New Dental Schoolsare under Serious consideration.
1. AT Still Univ- Missouri
2. University of New Mexico
3. Eastern Tennessee State Uni
4. Texas Tech, El Paso
5. University of Utah
6. Wisconsin, Marshfield Clinics.

New dental schools under consideration
1. Arkansas
2. California
3. Florida
4. Ohio
5. Pennsylvania
6. Virginia

woww,, I can't imagine how dentistry will be in 20 years.

PS my silly prediction.
Borderline profit schools tuition goes up eventually to 420-440k. Still more applicants than spots.
more dental schools. more dentists are being pumped out.
corporate dentistry is blooming. less job openings, more resumes. production/collection (don't know what is currently) but it goes down by 10-!5%
MS-residency are becoming extremely competitive (it is already but even more). Borderline schools are building residency programs again. Specialtists starts to sink along with GPs
default rates slowly climbs. some dentists commit suicide?? Yahoo does an article about Top 10 most overrated profession. Dentist makes the list.

'Market adjusts itself' is in there somewhere, but not sure where. :D

Last edited:
I would rather compete with more dentists than dental therapists and expanded role DH's for a variety of reasons.

I don't mind competition either. But we are talking about a profession that can't take all this abuse. Corporate dentistry, mid levels, suffocating tuition, endless number of new schools...it's turning into a pretty tough gig just to give patients as much access to care as possible. I suppose someone with the right agenda could also support a study showing there's an extreme lack of access to lawyers and attorneys as well. Last time I checked there were a handful of law graduates working at wal mart because theIr market is too saturated.

For how long has the sky been falling and when exactly will it finally hit ground?

If you've ever looked into any other professions, you'll notice they're ALL saying the same things.... Lawyers, pilots, physicians, bankers (yes, even bankers are lamenting that the "glory years" are behind them), teachers / professors, soldiers, retailers, they're all predicting the decline and fall of their respective professions. If we're all doomed then you had might as well do what you want to do before Armageddon eventually makes its way around. Blame government sanctioned corporatism.

PS- I looked into the 10 most overrated careers as mentioned earlier, and found this:

http://money.usnews.com/money/careers/articles/2007/12/19/the-most-overrated-careers

Physician is on the list, but I don't see dentist anywhere... yet. :)

AT Still Missouri School of Dentistry and Oral Health broke ground a couple of weeks ago. First class is expected to be about 40 seats in the fall of 2013. As to why they chose Missouri, one article says, "the state of dental care [in Missouri] is in a crisis". The following stats are shared:

- Missouri loses about 70 dentists annually to retirement
- 45-50 new dental graduates begin practice in the state annually
- Licensure data shows that Missouri has a shortfall of 250 dentists
- 6 counties are without a dentist
- 12 counties have only one dentist to serve the entire county
- Missouri ranks 47th in the nation in access to dental care for all residents
- Missouri 49th in the nation in access to dental care for children

AT has his eye on San Diego too.

There are plenty of opportunities to practice dentistry. I would agree that some of the more desirable places are over saturated, but in general there is more than enough work to justify a larger output of dental graduates. I think that the issue lies with the apprehension of dentists in regards to serving where dentistry is needed.
I live in Alaska and there are millions of dentists in anchorage/wasilla. However, the further away you get from the cities, the less available dental care there is. Of course the reasoning is because there is money in the cities and no one want s to live in the middle of no where alaska.
I guess the real issue is not the number of dentists being put out there, but the number of dentists willing to practice where they are most needed.
and yes, I can see Russia from my back yard.