Second dental school in Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are plenty of opportunities to practice dentistry. I would agree that some of the more desirable places are over saturated, but in general there is more than enough work to justify a larger output of dental graduates. I think that the issue lies with the apprehension of dentists in regards to serving where dentistry is needed.
I live in Alaska and there are millions of dentists in anchorage/wasilla. However, the further away you get from the cities, the less available dental care there is. Of course the reasoning is because there is money in the cities and no one want s to live in the middle of no where alaska.
I guess the real issue is not the number of dentists being put out there, but the number of dentists willing to practice where they are most needed.
and yes, I can see Russia from my back yard.

One dentist will not survive on 12 families in the "middle of nowhere Alaska" from a financial standpoint. Maybe the government should fund a mobile clinic instead of money hungry new dental schools. Besides, opening a dental school doesn't guarantee graduates to work in the respective area. They will most likely flock elsewhere b/c 1) they are 400k in the pit and 2) they won't financially survive on minimal patients.

Members don't see this ad.

One dentist will not survive on 12 families in the "middle of nowhere Alaska" from a financial standpoint. Maybe the government should fund a mobile clinic instead of money hungry new dental schools. Besides, opening a dental school doesn't guarantee graduates to work in the respective area. They will most likely flock elsewhere b/c 1) they are 400k in the pit and 2) they won't financially survive on minimal patients.

the less government is involved in dentistry the better the profession will be for future dentists. and corporate dentistry is just as dangerous to the profession as government involvement. but a mobile clinic is a nice idea for remote areas.

My guess is the ADA gets more money by allowing more schools to pop up. If I'm right, the ADA makes money from new schools (all schools)...versus losing money by funding mobile clinics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a friend to their family. His granddaughters are my wife's best friends so they come up regularly to our university to take us out to dinner (they live 3 1/2 hours away). We went to Applebee's, he had a 9 oz steak and a baked potato and I had chicken parmesan. I asked him about this rumor and he told me everything I told you. He has been working with the U of U to start a dental school and now it is clear for everyone that it is going to happen. As to why he dislikes Roseman, he was actually working with Dr. Harman and Dr. Sandoval to get the school started but they wanted to make it super expensive and he wanted to make it affordable. Since that split he really hates the direction they have taken the school. Of course he hasn't told me every detail of why he doesn't like the school, just what I have told you.

Is Gordon the one that gave 30 plus million to the UofU?

I am a dental student in the RDEP program at the University of Utah, and I can tell you that the rumors are true. The dental school will start in 2013. There will be 20 spots for the first year, I believe all will be for utah residents. The tuition will be about 30,000 plus ~5-7,000 for equipment rental. They already got it passed in the legislature and got the go ahead from the accreditation people, so it sounds like it is a done deal.

I am a dental student in the RDEP program at the University of Utah, and I can tell you that the rumors are true. The dental school will start in 2013. There will be 20 spots for the first year, I believe all will be for utah residents. The tuition will be about 30,000 plus ~5-7,000 for equipment rental. They already got it passed in the legislature and got the go ahead from the accreditation people, so it sounds like it is a done deal.

:laugh: 90% off private school tuition ain't bad.

What does this university of Utah opening mean for RDEP students? Anything?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

What does this university of Utah opening mean for RDEP students? Anything?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

It means the end of both RDEP programs (the "at large" and Creighton's program). The first year will be identical to the current RDEP program at the U, but with 10 more students. They'll start adding more students once the building is built.