Second guessing myself due to the price tag

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted437652

I live in California where the cheapest tuition comes out to around ~$34,000 a year, so while I'm applying to both UCs, I'm still looking elsewhere. I'm looking into getting loans and all of that, but going $136,000 in debt from tuition alone certainly isn't appetizing.
Also, I think most states require you live there at least one year before you can be considered a resident, so does that mean that if I move there immediately after I graduate I would be able to get in-state tuition the next year?

The one thing that might save me is the Navy or the Airforce if they help pay for my schooling, but the recruiter I talked to said some of those programs are fairly competitive.

Any thoughts or discussion? I used the search function but didn't find any other threads right away. Sorry if this is a duplicate.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I think most states require you live there at least one year before you can be considered a resident, so does that mean that if I move there immediately after I graduate I would be able to get in-state tuition the next year?

This does not mean that you will get in-state tuition after your first year of school.

The way it works is - you will need to prove that you are in the state for a reason other than educational purpose. This usually means you will have to provide evidence of a full time job or other evidence that you are a permanent resident.

If you are only in the state to finish your schooling, you will end up paying out of state tuition for the duration of your education.

This does not mean that you will get in-state tuition after your first year of school.

The way it works is - you will need to prove that you are in the state for a reason other than educational purpose. This usually means you will have to provide evidence of a full time job or other evidence that you are a permanent resident.

If you are only in the state to finish your schooling, you will end up paying out of state tuition for the duration of your education.

Wrong, a surprising number of schools allow you to get instate tuition after the first year. It just depends on the school. At UF I am pretty sure you get out of state tuition for the full four years, but that's not the case at other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wrong, a surprising number of schools allow you to get instate tuition after the first year. It just depends on the school. At UF I am pretty sure you get out of state tuition for the full four years, but that's not the case at other schools.

Ahhh... OK - I guess that is something to keep in mind when I apply to a couple out of state schools this fall. I know that my school works this way, I guess I just thought that all schools had the same general procedures. Thanks for the correction. :)

One of the reasons I knocked UF off my list.

I talked to UNC, and they said that you can eventually switch to in-state, but I have yet to talk to Arizona about it. I didn't ask if I needed to prove that I was in-state for other reasons though. That is somewhat worrisome.