Second looks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SansaStarkMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone care? Program said it doesn't change anything, but I don't want to be on the wrong side of history if games are played.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone care? Program said it doesn't change anything, but I don't want to be on the wrong side of history if games are played.
I sure as hell hope no one cares.

I'm broke, PD bros.

There are no games. Second looks are for you alone. The program couldn't care. Unless you **** something up by being annoying and demanding some observer shifts/chaperones/whatever and get ranked lower.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you guys are right. No thank you, no second look. Just a solid interview and fingers crossed.

You should second look all your programs. It puts you in another category!

Reactions: 1 user
The crazy pile? Lol

I guess if they're that impressed with second looks, im not their gal.

It doesn't make a difference 99% of the time.

That being said, rarely sometimes people do help themselves. I can think of one situation where it made a difference in all the second looks I've had over the past 4 years.

Good application, great interview. That's all you need IMO. When candidates ask me about a second look I usually discourage them to do so, unless they really want to come back and see the ED for them. I flat out tell them it really doesn't help them.

If you really do want to go back and visit a place to see how it runs, see how people interact, etc, then by all means, go back. But otherwise, just interview well.

Thanks guys, going to chill and keep the fingers crossed. I never sent thank you letters, but I get the idea no one keeps up with all of that either and that it doesn't matter.

You are correct. The constant thank you cards are nice, I do read every one, but they don't change my opinion of people's application and interview. Same with thank you emails, but those are just more annoying because I get like 100 emails a day, and I feel like students expect a response back. Card >>> Email; but neither are going to help you one way or the other.

Most of the programs I interviewed at have you ranked within a week of interviewing. My program has your rank finished before you are back from the tour of the hospital. It doesn't matter enough to justify the expense.

ost of the programs I interviewed at have you ranked within a week of interviewing. My program has your rank finished before you are back from the tour of the hospital. It doesn't matter enough to justify the expense.

I agree with this in part. I think most programs slot candidates into their list the day of the interview, or shortly thereafter. But I'd also venture to guess that for most programs this isn't a final ranking, and that at the end, they make changes to reshuffle the list based on faculty and resident feedback once interview season is over. I'm not saying major changes with people jumping 30 spots, but people do move up and down some once its all said and done and when you have a better overall perspective of the list.

In the game of thrones, if you lose you die.

What about these mythical program sponsored/paid second looks? Is that actually a thing?

Personally I'll be going back to one program on my dime (will be in the area) bc I just can't decide between it and its neighbor.

What about these mythical program sponsored/paid second looks? Is that actually a thing?

Personally I'll be going back to one program on my dime (will be in the area) bc I just can't decide between it and its neighbor.
I've only ever heard about them from Cinematographer's post last year. They might not exist in real life.