Secondary Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZO

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will most DO schools send applicants secondary applications regardless of their stats? Or do they only send out secondary applications to students that meet their minimum requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that NYCOM will require you to file a secondary appl on the day of interview. All others, I believe, is non-selectively send out their secondaries.

I would say ~98% of schools will send out a secondary to you regardless of your stats because it means easy money for them. They can screen you out after they have that check since it's no more difficult to do it then than before. So, check out the average numbers for the previous year's entering class to gauge how competitive you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent in my AACOMAS materials over a month ago. I've received confirmation regarding my MCAT score report and my transcript. However, I haven't gotten any secondaries yet. Is that normal? when should they start arriving?

I also sent my app in in late June. I hear that they are just slow. It's surprising, though, because all they do after the verification is photocopy the application you sent them and then send them away. AMCAS was quite a bit faster.. (I applied to my two state schools) Hopefully we'll get them soon. I'm just saving up right now.
smile.gif

I got my confirmation on June 15 and received a boatload of secondaries 7/30.

I have recieved secondary applications from AZCOM, CCOM, UHS, UOMHS, KCOM, and Pikeville. I am still waiting for NSU.

-Josh

I just got a rejection today from Touro, no secondary. I guess they screen. Anyone else get rejected immediately? I feel like I just got punched in the gut.

Immediate rejection? How was your package (i.e. scores, experience, etc.)?

My MCAT scores weren't bad, 10V 11PS 11BS, but my gpa leaves a bit to be desired, 3.2 (ouch!). I have clinical experience, volunteered with patients suffering from mental illness, and have now been working in managed care for three years. I'm sure the reason they rejected me is my gpa. I know it will be an uphill battle to get in, but every rejection is still difficult.

My MCAT scores weren't bad, 10V 11PS 11BS, but my gpa leaves a bit to be desired, 3.2 (ouch!). I have clinical experience, volunteered with patients suffering from mental illness, and have now been working in managed care for three years. I'm sure the reason they rejected me is my gpa. I know it will be an uphill battle to get in, but every rejection is still difficult.

Sorry, but I still don't see why a 3.2 would make you an instant "weed out". Was that your science? overall?

Let's say that Touro's average GPA for matriculated students is 3.4 (which is not that far from yours...): that means that a good chunk of matriculants got in w/ less than a 3.4 (and I don't think it's -that- tight a distribution!).

Did you call them and ask what the criteria are for receipt of a secondary? I'd be interested in knowing, as I'm applying now as well...

I got secondaries from UOMHS, PCOM, and WUCOM. I also got a letter from UNECOM stating they did not receive my MCATS from AACOMAS and a call to them showed they were never released to them. These schools must not be selective at all since none have my MCAT scores. TUCOM may have send you the bid "D" letter because of something else on their list of requirements. What you listed is at or above par EASILY. Call by all means!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, you guys have convinced me. I'll call tomorrow and let you know what they say. Thanks!

I talked to the admissions officer at Touro. I did not meet the minimum science gpa of 3.0. My science gpa was lower than my overall, and that's what they look at.

Thats weird. Even though you have a low SciGPA your MCAT "should" have made up for it.

That's what I'm hoping some of the other schools will think. The person I talked to was actually really nice about it, but it's a standard they keep, and understandably so. He seemed perplexed by the inconsistency between my gpa and the MCAT. I mean, it is pretty ridiculous that I don't even have a 3.0 science gpa, but I got 11s in both science sections. If I don't get in anywhere this year, I'm thinking about postbac. The guy at Touro said postbac is better than masters b/c you don't "waste your time" on unneccessary classes. I guess that's appropriate in my case.

Where else have you applied or thought about going? I know at other schools the admissions committee looks at various other standards especially in regards to MCATs that high.

I have applied to UOMHS, LECOM, UHS-COM, WesternU/COMP, Nova Southeastern, UNECOM, OUCOM, and KCOM. What do you think?

Western U/COMP is it for me. Really liked their program: the Osteopathic Medicine Awareness Conference was outstanding.

Has anyone heard from Nova Southeastern yet regarding secondaries?

I received a secondary from NSCOM around around Aug 8.

Just a little note... It's Nova Southeastern University (NSUCOM), not "NSCOM."

Ween,
you probably talked to Dr. Haight, the admissions director at TUCOM. He is a really nice guy and great resource to talk to. FYI, TUCOM weeded out all applications in fall 99 class with below 3.2 and below 23 on MCAT. So, do your homework before you apply with borderline grades because even though you got a great MCAT score, most will still weed out the numbers by applying the minimum formula to the tons of applications received, thus saving you the $$$$ on a long shot.

You are so right. Hopefully I won't have to do this again, but if I do, I will try to save some cash!

Sorry, I forgot the "University."